Author Topic: Looking For A PUP NJ-PA-NY Or Nearby  (Read 2772 times)

mmeachem

• Just Whelped
Looking For A PUP NJ-PA-NY Or Nearby
« on: April 10, 2012, 04:25:00 PM »
Looking For A PUP NJ-PA-NY Or Nearby because I don't feel comfortable buying from someone I can't meet

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Looking For A PUP NJ-PA-NY Or Nearby
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 07:27:26 PM »
What are you looking for in your pup?  Do you have specific goals for the pup (competing in a dog sport, showing in conformation, family pet)?  Would you consider traveling further for the right match, if you were able to get good references (possibly local) for the breeder?  There are a lot of people who may not have anything for you but know someone within their network of contacts who has pups planned or on the way.  Are you willing to wait for the right breeder/pup or do you have a specific timeframe that you want the pup by?

There are a number of good breeders across those states and in adjoining states, but a lot of picking a breeder is more about personality or philosophy rather than geography.  For instance, I've been looking for a breeder to get an obedience prospect from for several years.  There were a couple that were within reasonable driving distance (12 hours for me) but they felt that *any* pup could go to an Obedience home, whereas I believe that certain personalities/temperaments are more suited for being successful than others.  Those breeders met all the responsibility standards you would want - they do genetic health testing, strive to improve the breed, have their breeding stock evaluated by breed experts, etc.  I would easily recommend them to someone looking for a pet pup.  But I would not buy a pup from them myself because they would not match me the way I want to be matched.

Also, have you researched what makes a responsible Boxer breeder? If not, check out http://americanboxerclub.org/ethics.html (these are the bare minimums a breeder must do to be considered responsible) and http://americanboxerclub.org/health-screening.html (the recommended genetic tests and frequency of testing for Boxer in a breeding program).

Once I've heard a bit more, I'm happy to see if any of the folks I know make sense as a recommendation.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

mmeachem

• Just Whelped
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 08:06:15 PM »
I'm not looking for right away but a
want a

Male
Fawn/W Black Mask

Or

Male
Brindle

Just want some names so I can look them up

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 05:12:25 PM »
So if you looking for a Boxer that is a family companion (no advanced showing or training goals), that leaves things pretty wide open in terms of breeders.  If you just want names to look into, try this site - http://www.pro-boxers.com/am_breeders.html  - if you look at the right hand column, it lists the state that breeder is in.

I can't vouch for the responsibility of every breeder listed, but I know the person who manages that page intends to weed out the bad breeders. Keep in mind some people may not be listed because they don't have a website and/or don't want their email address listed publicly.

Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

mmeachem

• Just Whelped
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 05:51:06 PM »
What do you think of puppyfind.com

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 08:05:51 AM »
STAY AWAY FROM PUPPYFIND...It post puppies from puppy millers.  PLEASE look elsewhere.  Petfinder (rescues) is a good place, but PUPPYFIND (puppy mills) is not!
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 08:56:22 AM »
Also try contacting the boxer clubs in those areas . They most likely have a list of breeders who may have litters either on the ground or planned .

Just be sure you still screen the breeder to be sure you both agree on the same issues .
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

mmeachem

• Just Whelped
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 09:28:55 AM »
Ok Thanks