Author Topic: Half & half  (Read 1361 times)

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
Half & half
« on: March 19, 2012, 08:28:30 AM »
For those who have /do feed half kibble & half raw do you still have problems with fleas & ticks?

I never had fleas when I fed just raw on any of my dogs (all 4 of them) . Then last fall I found a few fleas on both dogs . We would get a few ticks a year but nothing like my neighbors get .

Now I am wondering if going to kibble is the reason . If I switch to one raw & 1 kibble meal do you think this will help them to not have any fleas and just the occasional tick like before .

I have still been doing garlic & vit E  with them .
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
Re: Half & half
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 08:35:16 AM »
I feed 1/2 & 1/2...but I also add 2 tsp of vinegar & garlic mixture to their meals.  Haven't had fleas or ticks in years! Little worried tho about this year since no hard freeze...so will see if this still holds true!
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 11:39:05 AM »
I don't know??? I feed my dogs full raw and I have never had a flea problem until last year? Maybe last year was just a really bad year? I can't imagine that kibble would be the cause of it - especially if you are doing garlic?
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

Boxermom,K

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 10:20:01 AM »
I don't have a problem as long as I'm using garlic it seems. I feed both raw and kibble- sometimes more kibble than raw and vice versa.

Bubba 12/30/00 - 10/29/07
Kristi
Mom to Laila CGC- 9 year old fawn, Viktor CGC, TDI- 7 year old heeler mix

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 11:57:19 AM »
We've been fairly lucky in the past couple of years with no fleas or ticks. Altho, it seems the ticks come in with them but never attach - they like to crawl on Shawn in the middle of the night tho. LOL

And we've been significantly warmer than any other winter this year. I shoulda done garlic year round, but just got back this week to putting them on it. Altho I don't do half and half, I also don't think the food would make the difference - but it's an interesting thought tho. I'd be curious if doing homecooked with Grady and Rubi on kibble, if that would make a difference too. Will have to keep track this spring/summer.
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

3BOXERS

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 03:42:43 PM »
Rodents like raccoons, rats, and opossums are big flea carriers. I went years with not seeing fleas on my dogs. Then all of a sudden I had a bad problem with them. The big difference was that the neighbors grew some thick bushes on the fence line. The perfect place for rodents to live and hide. Rodents like raccoons, rats, and opossums are big flea carriers. I think that with the warm winter this year that things are going to be bad.