Author Topic: Mountain Rescue  (Read 2148 times)

Sue H

• Just Whelped
Mountain Rescue
« on: March 04, 2012, 03:08:42 PM »
First time poster.  First time soon-to-be boxer owner.  Here’s our story.  Our daughter goes to college in the mountains, and lives off campus with roommates.  According to her this is a popular place for people to abandon their dogs.  The neighbors are good and put food out for the dogs, and leave their garage doors slightly open in the winter.  Several of the dogs have collars, but no ID.  After Christmas break (early Jan), my daughter noticed that the dogs looked well, except for the boxer, whose ribs were showing.  She wore an orange collar with no ID on it.  My daughter put food out for her; she would take a few bites, and run down a hill.  My daughter followed her, and there was one puppy (fit in the palm of her hand).  No sign of other puppies. The girls brought the mother and pup into their rental home, and have been feeding and caring for them.  Their college has been providing vet care and has been treating them as rescue dogs.  Long story short, both dogs will be coming to our neighborhood.  The mother dog will be living with us, and the pup will be living around the corner.  The dog is estimated to be 4-5 years old, and we have been told she appears to be a purebred.  She is well trained, and understands commands.

The mother was checked out by the vet at the college, was given all her shots, and she has now been spayed.  The mother dog was not chipped.  We wanted to have her chipped when she was spayed, but she had some “bumps” removed—one which is where the chip would have been placed.  The vet wanted that spot to heal, and believes the “bump” may have been the result of another dog bite. 

We will be making a 12 hour trip in two cars to bring the dogs to their new home.  We will be spending one night in a hotel.  We will have two rooms at the hotel, and my daughter thinks it is best to keep the dogs separated.  Once we arrive home, our dog will be met by 3 indoor cats, which is another story.  I’ve picked up a lot of tips from this web site, so thanks for that.  We’ve got some TOTW food, made in America treats, Kong toys, and an appointment with the local vet to establish her as a patient.  A lady in at work gave us a big crate to use, if things don’t go so well with the cats.  (One of the roommates had a cat, and there was no problem—fingers crossed.)

Does anyone have any advice to offer on anything we have done or should be doing?

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
Re: Mountain Rescue
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 04:08:18 PM »
:welcome: :hithere: and congrats on the new addition!  I cannot wait for you to post pics of you new pup.  Rescue is so darn rewarding IMO...I have been doing it since 1984!
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

LOVEBUG

• Potty Trained
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 06:09:32 PM »
 :welcome: Get ready to have your hearts stolen! Boxers are the best! It sounds as if you are well prepared to bring your new baby home. How lucky those pups are to have found your daughter!

Cindy: Mom to Porsha, & Tyson.
          Chowder 4/2000 - 9/7/2013

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • "No Pressure, no diamonds"-Mary Case
    • Getting Evan
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 06:44:42 PM »
:welcome: Get ready to have your hearts stolen! Boxers are the best!

Lol. It's true. Boxers ARE the best. Soon you'll find that the only thing better than a boxer is TWO boxers. Congrats.

I'd read up on crate training, NILF and stock up on Natures Miracle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mom to:
Beasley (flashy fawn male) born 11/15/2005
Peanut (classic brindle female) born 2/15/2009
Evan (two legged brunette male) born 4/20/2011

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 06:56:58 AM »
Boxers ARE the best. Soon you'll find that the only thing better than a boxer is TWO boxers. Congrats.

Oh this is so true...
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Eilene

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 11:49:39 AM »
Congrats on your new addition
Eilene
Nala, Luna
Forever in my heart Amber,Bailey,Chicklet,Tequila

rmkoruga

• Socialized
  • Rachel-owned by Leroy Brown 6/21/03
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 02:17:55 PM »
Hello and welcome! This is a great story and I cannot wait to hear how the pupps do in their new home!
Rachel-
Leroy Brown 06/03

WildBeanerz

• Canine Good Citizen
  • Macie
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 03:46:03 PM »
Welcome! I can't wait to 'meet' them!

April - mom of
Bones RIP big guy 11.04.10 :angel:
Macie 8 yrs brindle female
Chloe 11.19.09 fawn female