Author Topic: Jumping up  (Read 1367 times)

lucyana1129

• Fully Weaned
Jumping up
« on: February 18, 2012, 01:27:46 PM »
We r having a problem with jumping up out of excitement. At ppl and other dogs. When children want to pet her I really hesitate bc I kno she will jump ip on them. I'm not really sure what to do about it. Any advice? Thanks!

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
Re: Jumping up
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 01:53:34 PM »
You need to teach her "down" or "off" or whatever your choice of word is to keep a pup down.  I have this mastered with 2 boxers but Phoebe still jumps, albeit she lands very lightly which I did teach her to do. all mine know "Off" and will listen when I tell them...except they have selective hearing when a child is around...I think boxers & kids just instinctively go together.  When my grandkids come over, and they live with 3 boxers too...I usually keep the pups in another room with a baby gate, until they calm down.  That helps with the mega excitement and the pups and kids can see each other while pups calm down. Usually helps...
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Jumping up
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 11:13:18 AM »
I find that teaching "off" is helpful for home situations, especially since you might let her jump on you sometimes, but to be successful with strangers, it's better to focus on prevention than correction.  I would teach her to sit to greet strangers and do what you can to have her practice that as much as possible.  I would teach her to sit before she's allowed to greet strangers and do what you can to have her practice that as much as possible. 

If you have some friends who are willing to do reps and follow instructions, that really helps.  Load them up with treats and have them pet her then give her a treat for behaving.  Or you give her the treat if their feeding makes her fixate too much on them.  If you are able to position yourself behind her so that she is unable to jump up, that will help in the beginning when it's harder for her to control herself. With Dash, I've actually done a half-kneel with my torso directly behind his back and held his collar with one hand. He can't pull forward because of my hand on his collar and he can't go up because my body prevents him from getting momentum.  Obviously you need to be strong and well-balanced in this position or you could end up getting knocked on your butt.  (I will admit Dash is not a good example of success in greeting overall, but I do prevent the jumping up part of his problem with this method)

When it comes to working through it with strangers, I try to explain to them the basics of what I require so they are less likely to undo my training.  I'd phrase it in a way that kids would probably understand like "She is learning her manners and she's not allowed to say hi unless she's sitting like a good girl."  It tells the parents you are training her and what your requirements are, and hopefully kids will get the idea too since they've probably had similar lessons in life.  And if some well-meaning adult says "Oh, I don't mind if she jumps",  you say something like "I understand, but she can't tell who cares and who doesn't, so I make her do the same thing for everyone."

You can also put jumping on a cue so that later on, then the people who'd like to can ask her to jump up.  I taught Xena to hook her paws over my arm to get treats (so she wouldn't hit me in the gut w/her paws) and I taught Dash to put his paws on my hips to "get me" for hugs and head rubs.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12