Author Topic: Licking...how to stop it?  (Read 2003 times)

aquagirl900

• Socialized
Licking...how to stop it?
« on: February 13, 2012, 10:09:24 AM »
So...Bo and Jetta like to lick people.  We've tried to get them to stop...to no avail  It wasn't as big a deal before..but with Zoey in the house, I really don't want her face being licked.  what is your guys' secret to stopping the licking?

Boxermom,K

• Canine Good Citizen
Re: Licking...how to stop it?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 10:29:23 AM »
It depends on why the dogs is licking. Sometimes re-directing with having them go get a toy when they are wanting to lick helps. Or use their wanting to lick to teach them to give kisses on command. We did that with our Bubba. Every time he would start wanting to lick we'd say "give kisses!" then after a bit we'd start telling him "no kiss" every once in a while. Within a couple of weeks all we had to say was no kiss and he'd stop. After a few months he quick licking all together unless we asked for kisses. If they are like my Laila- good luck. Laila compulsively licks out of anxiety and submission. So if you scold her or push her away she licks even more trying to appease us. What we have her doing now is we offer her a hand to lick for a few moments then we pull our hand away and say "settle". Then she relaxes a bit- sometimes licking the air a few moments more.

Bubba 12/30/00 - 10/29/07
Kristi
Mom to Laila CGC- 9 year old fawn, Viktor CGC, TDI- 7 year old heeler mix

aquagirl900

• Socialized
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 10:31:25 AM »
They seem to do it out of excitement.  When they (especially Bo) come to see you..he's wiggling and hyper and his tongue is wagging in place of his tail.  When you redirect him or tell him no...it only makes him worse.  Jetta isn't nearly as bad...she's happy to lick you once or twice then go on with her life...but Bo..goodness his tongue is quick lol

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 10:57:12 AM »
Do they know the leave it command ? If so tell them leave it when they try to lick .
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

whitepupzoe

• Most Supportive & Friendliest Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 11:05:37 AM »
Do they know the leave it command ? If so tell them leave it when they try to lick .

That's what I use for George and Abby when they try to lick Olivia. It works most of the time...but occasionally they do sneak a lick in there without me seeing them.
Kristin ~ Mom to Abby & George

Always In My Heart ~ Angels Zoe & Ariel

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 11:58:33 AM »
Ditto the "Leave It" command...
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 12:29:26 PM »
LOL Well, if you see my video I just posted of Rubi kissing Grady, you'll see she's our resident licker.

She licks for many reasons.
Boredom
Stress/ Anxiety
Something itches (usually her hoo-hoo)
Your home
He's home
She's home
Grady's home
Home is home
We have company
She just woke up
She's going to sleep
Excited about her new bed
The cat just walked past her new bed
Her leg/hip hurts
She needs to go out

Alot of it was due to constant urinary infections when she was pup. Always licking her hoo-hoo, so it kinda became her habit. And her constantly licking our face (nasty when you think that she's always lickin her hoo-hoo :wreck:), was due to stress when she was younger. So that became the "Give <insert name here> kisses" and became a command. When she licks things we don't want - we've taught her "No Lick!" and did so by redirecting her to something else - a treat, a toy, or just getting up and running around and playing with her or letting her outside to run.

Most of her anxiety driven licking was due to boredom when she was younger also. She was crate rested quite a bit, due to injuries (hips, knee), so she'd get bored and just groom herself constantly. We tried giving her things in her crate to distract her, but given she was in there for 6-8 weeks sometimes (with breaks out with us of course), she could only handle so much without going mentally insane! LOL So, I don't get on her too much. Kinda our fault, but also she can't help it....she had a rough start and formed those habits early on.

The only time I will let her lick is when I know it's something bothering her - mostly her leg - and let her lick a lil bit, then tell her "OK, Rubi, no lick!"

So teach the command to stop and teach the command for when it's acceptable. As with Rubi, you may still have a constant licker (it's a habit for her), but getting it under control is the key.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 12:33:38 PM by Rubidawg »
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

WildBeanerz

• Canine Good Citizen
  • Macie
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 02:49:53 PM »
Macie is a stress licker. Chloe is a "OMG I'm so happy to see you! You are finally here! You were just in the bathroom without me for 3 mins! It was sooooo long!" kind of licker.

I can say Macie's name and she will stop. Chloe gets the "Ahhhhttt" sound. But she is a really bad licker with my hubby for some reason. He just tells her to stop and she usually gets one or two more in and then she's done. I have gotten them both to kiss our chin on command now though so they still get their licking in.

I understand that nobody wants a dog constantly licking the baby's face, but I can't see the harm in it now and then. ;)

April - mom of
Bones RIP big guy 11.04.10 :angel:
Macie 8 yrs brindle female
Chloe 11.19.09 fawn female
Love my rescue

whitepupzoe

• Most Supportive & Friendliest Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 03:11:24 PM »
That's how we feel April. We aren't totally strict with the no licking the baby...just no  licking the baby until she is soaked and screaming.  ;D
Kristin ~ Mom to Abby & George

Always In My Heart ~ Angels Zoe & Ariel

Boxermom,K

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 03:48:26 PM »
That's how we feel April. We aren't totally strict with the no licking the baby...just no  licking the baby until she is soaked and screaming.  ;D

That's kind of how we were when Juli and Eirika were little. Kids and dogs adapt with each other so long as there is supervision  ;) Being licked by the dog, of having one of the dogs constantly touching or hovering was just part of life since they were babies so it's no big deal to them.

Bubba 12/30/00 - 10/29/07
Kristi
Mom to Laila CGC- 9 year old fawn, Viktor CGC, TDI- 7 year old heeler mix