Author Topic: Handling Secrets Or Tips?  (Read 1398 times)

SaharaNight Boxers

• Fully Weaned
Handling Secrets Or Tips?
« on: January 23, 2012, 06:58:42 PM »
Duke has been out with a handler for a while, but I am hoping to show him in Juniors and maybe some Open Shows soon and was wondering what are some things you always try to remember when you're in the ring and some things you've found work well. We have two main problems: focus and over stretching. He pulls over himself really well, but when he does he over stretches. And focus, he almost jumped out of the ring last time when his handler and a Boxer he loves walked by and his handler was in the ring so he was trying to figure out why he wasn't with her and completely lost focus. And sometimes he bites at the leash as we gait. He gaits super on a loose lead sometimes, but sometimes he bites at it and then starts rearing.

Thanks,
Maya

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
Re: Handling Secrets Or Tips?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 11:05:16 AM »
The best advice I can give is to have some video tape you whilst you are in the ring. That way you can watch and see how you did and how your dog looked. It is the best way to learn......and especially if you are able to see how your dog looks  compared to the dog next to you which a handler has.
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

3BOXERS

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 12:41:09 PM »
Pratice stacking in front of a mirror. Look in the mirror and see if you have him stacked right, then look down and see what it looks like from above.

To keep his attention put pieces of hot dog in you mouth. When he looks at you spit a piece of hot dog at him. Soon he will not be able to look away think that any minute that he may get a hot dog from you.

SaharaNight Boxers

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 09:41:04 PM »
Thank you! I'll have to try the hotdog. Right now I just have the bait in my pocket. I'll try to switch to the hotdog in the mouth to see I it makes a difference. It's mainly when e sees someone he knows. He forgets what he's doing and tries to figure out how to get to them.

SaharaNight Boxers

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 09:42:07 PM »
And I've been watching tapes too. They help A LOT. That was one of the best things I found out to do.