Author Topic: Pulling pulling pulling  (Read 3366 times)

lucyana1129

• Fully Weaned
Pulling pulling pulling
« on: January 19, 2012, 03:25:50 PM »
Dixie is terrible to walk but must b walked daily or she will be crazy. We have tried the easy walk harness and gentle leader. I've tried stopping when she pulls, treats, toys, making it a game. I thought she was done growing but she's gained about 5lbs of muscle and all that pulling is becoming increasingly difficult for me to control. I'd like to use a choke chain for training. I know most frown upon that though. Has anyone else used this method? Is there anything else I can do? How do I use a training collar properly? Thanks.

lucyana1129

• Fully Weaned
Re: Pulling pulling pulling
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 03:38:35 PM »
Okay, just read some other threads they were older though so I still want opinions. Should I be using a prong collar or choke chain. I always thought the prong was a little harsher but if not then I will use it. I'd love to ask the trainer at petsmart but I know how unwilling they will b and they will make me feel terrible. How do I know if it's a proper fit?

WildBeanerz

• Canine Good Citizen
  • Macie
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 03:53:45 PM »
Have you tried a martingale collar? I have heard good things about them.

April - mom of
Bones RIP big guy 11.04.10 :angel:
Macie 8 yrs brindle female
Chloe 11.19.09 fawn female
Love my rescue

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 04:51:17 PM »
I use martingales on all mine.  none pull.  If used correctly, they are fabulous!  They need to ride high up on the neck, just under where the head meets the neck.  I have perfect control and have trained the most unruly pullers using a martingale.
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 05:12:55 PM »
I use martingales, but only because Grady's slipped out of a regular collar before.

However, I only use the martingale as a tool, I don't hold it up high to control like a "steering wheel." I have on occassion, but not normally, only when they get a bit dense and we're in a place where I need the extra control. Martingales, prongs and chokes all need to be fitted properly and used properly, especially prongs and chokes because they can cause damage if not. So, I'd suggest a professional trainer fit one for you, if you choose to go with one.

I tend to want to train rather than restrain. So, I use lots of treats and reward when they are in the proper position. Also, keep in mind WHERE you reward is key too. If they are in heel position and you reward in front of you, where do you think the dog will go? In front of you. And where do you think the dog will think it's supposed to be? In front of you. Because you've rewarded in that position, you've rewarded them for BEING in that position.

So, I only treat/reward/praise in the proper heel position. I keep the treat in my right hand and when they are in the right position by my side (I also wait for full focus on me for formal heeling, but dont worry about that for just regular leash walking), I put the treat in my left hand and sorta slide my hand down my side, down my leg and right to their mouth. This way they get the treat without ever leaving my side.

Takes time, takes LOTS of practice. And honestly, Rubi is a horrible puller, but I screwed up with her. I used a harness that encouraged her to pull. I rewarded in front of me rather than beside. I rewarded at the wrong times and I let her get away with it for too long. So, she is still a work in progress. Most of that is also because we lived in an apartment for the first 3 years of her life and all of her potty breaks were on leash. She'd pull to go pee in the woods. It became a hard habit for her. But, when we were in training classes, she learned a better heel and atleast now - she pulls forward, but checks back in all the time and gets into place. She's just a type of girl that has to go, go and go. LOL
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

lucyana1129

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 05:20:00 PM »
I would only be using as a training tool. Not to restrain. I just want her to learn so we can enjoy our walks instead of me dreading them. The girl is strong. Physically of course but she is also very strong willed also. If she wants to go, she's gonna go. I'd like to try the prong collar but of course want it fit right. I've been researching and think I can fit it properly. Certainly don't want to hurt her though. I'm glad I looked tho bc all I've ever seen is it sitting low on the neck. I was unaware it was supposed to be different. I think I've seen the other one you guys are talking about. How does that one work? It's the one with the small bit of chain and the rest is nylon correct?

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 05:32:50 PM »
gee it sounds like I use all the time high up, I don't only when I want them to walk nice.  and I never leave any collar on them since it is a training tool.  they know when momma pulls out the leash and collar they are going for a walk,  they behave great on a lead, but there is those times when I need to have complete control over them...car, another animal, kids running etc.   If they behave, no problem.  but if they pull, the collar is raised to the "working" spot until they behave again, usually that happens pretty immediately.

the martingales I use look like a regular collar but it is a slip collar, like a small loop connected to a larger loop.  when the small loop is pulled on it tightens the larger loop.  the one that is a chain & nylon is another type, but I am not fond of a chain being used on their necks, that's just me. 
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 05:59:36 PM »
gee it sounds like I use all the time high up, I don't only when I want them to walk nice.  and I never leave any collar on them since it is a training tool.  they know when momma pulls out the leash and collar they are going for a walk,  they behave great on a lead, but there is those times when I need to have complete control over them...car, another animal, kids running etc.   If they behave, no problem.  but if they pull, the collar is raised to the "working" spot until they behave again, usually that happens pretty immediately.
Sorry Claire, you know that's not how I meant it. ;) I was just speaking as to what I do. Sorry if that came off wrong. :dizzy2:
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

ssjTiamat

• Just Whelped
Re: Re: Pulling pulling pulling
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 07:56:11 PM »
I have had a so-so time with Dakota. She is a puller too. Then, sometimes she seems to get mad at the leash and will grab it in her mouth and viciously jerk back and forth quickly (you know the move). She is 11 months and although I have tried to stay consistent with the rules on our walks I fear that some of my leniency here and there has caused bad habits. However, it does seem that the last week we have made some progress. I am finally able to get her to heel better and without so much correction. I also seem to be getting her to stop from grabbing the leash in her mouth by giving a sharp quick yell right as she goes for it. This seems to stop her as she knows I will be upset.

I, we still have a ways to go and everyone is right, it takes patience and a lot if work. Can't give up on them.

I will admit that I have trained her to heel on the right side instead of the left. Did that sorta by mistake then felt I had better stick with it. That won't be some an issue later will it? I also use a 20 ft leash because I like to allow her a bit more space when she is behaving. Does anyone think that could be bad? I just like to use that as another way to reward her sort of. She behaves, she gets more slack/room. The hard part about that is getting the dog to understand what your intentions are. Once you do communicate that however, it seems to work well. At least for me. But, like I said, we still have a ways to go yet.

sent from [rooted] A200 / running greezaROM v9001.1

lucyana1129

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 08:15:52 PM »
Left/right I believe is personal preference. Left I know is commonly used for training hunting dogs like labs and such. Since writing this post we have been training. A lot. I'm not sure about others but Dixie can not get any "free" time when on leash. I have made it to where when she is on leash he knows it's time to work. We train until we get to the dog park and then she must sit and stay until I release her to play. If I gave her slack it would most certainly cause her to regress some. I've tried. Of course different dogs. Earn differently. We are training for CGC and then therepy test so I really need a perfect heel. She is doing so so much better since writing this post. Thanks to many of the suggestions given and some good hard work. She has a long ways to go though. We use a martingale collar and for times when I know she will need some extra correcting we use the gentle leader. Both for training and both with a clicker and tons of treats. She is very stubborn but loves to make me happy. Most of our training revolves around stop and go. If she pulls, I stop, turn and go the opposite direction. Within the first few days she realized that pulling me wouldnt get her where she wanted to go and she stopped pulling. Now she will check in with me and will touch my thigh throughout the walk to let me know she is heeling. Some days are great and some aren't so we are still working just as hard as before. Just thought I'd post ure progress to let others that may be struggling know that it can be done. Dixie was terrible. Now we enjoy walks together. And through training have seemed to bond a lot more. She knows I'm the leader and seems happy to allow me to be that. :)

ssjTiamat

• Just Whelped
Re: Re: Pulling pulling pulling
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 11:48:33 AM »
Great post. Although I have made it a habit of giving Dakota some "free time" while on the leash, I am really considering the stopping of that practice. Like you said it makes your dog regress some, I think for mine it just contradicts everything I do in training. The hard part is staying consist ant, especially since she will fight it sometimes so intently. But since I decided to start anew, I too will try and report our progress. Or lack thereof.

sent from [rooted] A200 / running greezaROM v9001.1

Christina

• Socialized
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 02:37:04 PM »
Glad you're getting some progress with Dixie!
Christina
Little Ann 2/14/96-4/6/10
Boomer 1996- 4/25/14
Lucky 4/24/04-8/27/14

storis momma

• Potty Trained
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 04:31:36 AM »
Stori was terrible at pulling.  I trained her on a martingale collar (easier for corrections) and I would tie the leash around my waist.  Any time she got a nose ahead of me I would change direction.  It kept her focused on my movements and taught her that I was in charge.  She no longer pulls and has even learned to not get ahead of me while off leash either (until I release her to go play)
Carla
Mom to Stori 4/11/09