Author Topic: Poop Eating!  (Read 2783 times)

boxer pal

• Most Enthusiastic Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Poop Eating!
« on: January 13, 2012, 10:47:01 AM »
Of all the weird things our dogs do, poop eating brings out the 'ewwwwww' in all of us.  I caught Onyx doing this this morning! :wreck:  She had JUST pooped and then turned around and licked it and nibbled on it.  I stopped her before she got more than a tiny nibble at least.  I keep poop picked up pretty well, but I'll admit I haven't done any pickup yesterday or today since we got snow and the wind chill is below zero!  Her diet isn't any different than usual and she seems fine in every other way.  I know this has been covered before but I thought it would be good to get some of our newer members involved in this conversation since it's something almost everyone will or has dealt with at some point in your life.  Considering Onyx had a mystery health scare at Thanksgiving, do any of you feel I should be concerned it's some sort of serious health issue that has triggered this unseemly behavior? 
Sue Q.
Hogan b. 6/1/10 our brindle baby boy
Onyx b.5/1/07 my dark beauty
my heart, my love, my joy. Rudy b. 9/06 d.5/10 
my mahogany girl Romy b.11/03 d.2/10
Abe, our first & best. b.3/97 d.5/08

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
Re: Poop Eating!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 11:12:26 AM »
Ew Onyx!! Stop that!! :gag:

I'd see if she continues to do it. Maybe it was  a, "hmmmm that looks yummy. Lemme get a taste." ?? But, I always thought that if they start doing that, that it's a sign of something lacking in their diet. Not necessarily that her diet changed, but that her body is probably releasing something that she may need? I think that's the way I remember it.

I thought this list was interesting, altho I don't know the validity of the statements. But just some "food for thought," maybe?
http://www.pet-comfort-products.com/why-dogs-eat-poop.html

Hope it was just a one time deal and she's done with it. Rubi is a cat poop eater and have never been able to stop her from it, or figure out why she does it.
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

boxer pal

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 11:21:56 AM »
The current veterinary documents I've read this morning say dietary diffenciency is not a likely cause of poop eating.  Onyx eats 3 meals a day, the noonish meal is just a very small mouthful and she gets a substantial snack at bedtime so I know she's not hungry.  I watch her weight carefully so she doesn't get portly so her meals are fairly small.  About the only one of the ideas on that link that could remotely apply is stress.  Onyx has a nervous personality.  But our routine is pretty stable and the last stressor she had was when Cowboy was visiting over Christmas.  That's been 2 weeks ago.  This dog keeps me guessing more than any other dog I've had!  She's just a walking quirk!   ::)
Sue Q.

Eilene

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 12:33:24 PM »
 :o Hoping this was also a one time deal...
Eilene
Nala, Luna
Forever in my heart Amber,Bailey,Chicklet,Tequila

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 12:48:56 PM »
I only seem to have this problem with Ollie when it is cold.  I have no idea why.  I know there are things you can put in their food to stop this like forbid or distaste, but you actually have to put it in ALL animals meals so that their poo is distasteful too.  I haven't tried that, I usually yell then go get it ;)
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Fireflyfarm

• Just Whelped
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 12:52:51 PM »
I'm glad to see this topic. I'm brand new to the group so I haven't read any archives on this topic, but my boxer does it too. Not hers so much as anything else's. Rabbit, deer, and any other she can get to. We live in the country so there is always wildlife around. And small animals get in the fence and leave feces. It's disgusting!!!  If we go walking in the woods she spends more time looking for feces than enjoying the outdoors. We are always chasing her away from a pile.  Any advice on stopping this would be most helpful.
Adelaide- 3 year old Boxer
Nathan Detroit- 7 year old Dachshund
CASH- 10 week old Great Dane

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • "No Pressure, no diamonds"-Mary Case
    • Getting Evan
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 01:03:01 PM »
:barf:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mom to:
Beasley (flashy fawn male) born 11/15/2005
Peanut (classic brindle female) born 2/15/2009
Evan (two legged brunette male) born 4/20/2011

LOVEBUG

• Potty Trained
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 01:35:19 PM »
I also have this issue with Porsha in the winter. I think with her it stems from boredom. Something to do....chew on frozen poop! But this winter we have Tyson, who keeps her VERY busy! So we'll see. All of my dogs LOVE cat poop! What is it with that? I have to keep the litter boxes gated off! Oh, and lets not forget horse poop, YUM! I can't take them out in the pasture without them getting into it! It seems to be a natural thing. Has anyone seen a dog that DOESN'T like to eat some type of poop?  :wreck:

Cindy: Mom to Porsha, & Tyson.
          Chowder 4/2000 - 9/7/2013

boxer pal

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 02:35:16 PM »
ALL my dogs have been fond of horse manure, if not knoshing on it, they LOVE to roll in it.  We live in the country too, so critter poop is everywhere.  Rabbit, possum, coon, deer, coyote and on and on.  I keep a fairly close eye on what they are doing when they are outside, but I don't monitor every single moment.  We just do frequent fecals, keep their diets on the premium side and administer occassional dewormer.  I can live with that. . . .  that's just dog to me.  But eating their own poop seems abnormal behavior and seems to me, an indication of something.  Now to figure out what.  Most articles I've read say some dogs do it from boredom or just curiosity and it becomes a habit.  I treat it like humping . . . all dogs do it an some point or another, but I still discourage it.  It's just not something I allow.  I'm going to look into natural food additives to see what I can easily add that should discourage it. 
Sue Q.

3BOXERS

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 06:34:43 PM »
I know that with some of the cheaper dog foods they put a lot of filler in. Some that dogs don't digest well. So their food comes out smelling like it did when they ate it. Its becomes a kinda bonus meal. Cats do not digest any fillers and their food is higher in protin so it is taster recycled.

Onyx may not have digested her last meal too well or maybe she just wanted a Poopsicle.
You can try to put some pineapple in her food. That seems to change the poo to not very tasty.

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 07:17:35 PM »
Sue I heard crushed pineapple works haven't tried it tho
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

LOVEBUG

• Potty Trained
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 07:41:54 PM »
Thanks Sue for that information! That makes a lot of sense! I wonder if I can get my horses to eat a little pineapple? :what: Just kidding!

Cindy: Mom to Porsha, & Tyson.
          Chowder 4/2000 - 9/7/2013

Rubidawg

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2012, 09:28:09 PM »
Hey Sue, was curious if you figured this one out? My brother's GSD just started this and I'm searching for cures. She was switched to Purina Salmon a couple of months ago and this started shortly after, but getting worse. I told him about finding a better food for allergies (she had missing hair patches from allergies, changed her food to this and the patches have grown back), but also told him about maybe adding some pineapple....anyone know how much, how often and how long?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 09:33:22 PM by Rubidawg »
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

boxer pal

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2012, 09:39:53 PM »
I only caught Onyx doing it a couple of times and then she just stopped.   :confused:  Since the weather got a bit on the warmish side there for a while, I went ahead and started putting garlic powder in her food.  I can't tell you that was the cure, but it could have been for all I know.  I've been watching her pretty closely and no recurrences.  Sorry I can't give you a more definative answer. 
Sue Q.

Rubidawg

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2012, 09:47:09 PM »
No prob. Glad she's stopped! My brother's in way over his head with this dog, so I'm still searching what I can for him. Hopefully he can get her to stop too.
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02