Author Topic: Meat supplier-should I or is it a rip off?  (Read 1653 times)

storis momma

• Potty Trained
Meat supplier-should I or is it a rip off?
« on: January 08, 2012, 05:00:58 PM »
I have hopefully found a potential beef supplier who raises grass fed/finished beef. However, he is 4 hours away (the next nearest town from us is 2 hours away, we really are in the middle of no where) and would need to ship the beef. He may have cows ready for the end of January and is offering us half a cow at $3.25/lb, plus the cost of shipping and approx 300-325 lbs before being cut and wrapped. I apparently will be paying for 300 lbs but really only getting 55-60% of that. The only in-town place I can get meat is Safeway. So I guess my questions are, is it worth it or am I getting ripped off, and if I do order, how big of a freezer will I need (we only have a fridge/freezer).
Carla
Mom to Stori 4/11/09

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
Re: Meat supplier-should I or is it a rip off?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 06:02:24 PM »
Ummmm, so why are you only getting 55-60% of what you pay for???

Personally at that price - I would think that this is a good deal for you and your family - but wayy to expensive for your dog.  Normally when we order grass fed beef we order 1/4 cow (for us mainly) and it takes up about 2 shelves in our upright freezer - so I doubt 1/2 would fit in the freezer portion of a fridge/freezer. When we get we request the heart/liver/kidneys - and also oxtails for the dogs - but all of the other meat we actually eat and don't give to the dogs.

Generally for my dogs I am looking to spend about $1/lb.
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 06:10:42 PM »
Kerry, I am assuming she is paying for "hanging" weight which is about 1/2 the amount you will actually get. 

Carla, that seems VERY pricey, if you are only getting up to 60% that increases your actual cost substantially.  At 60%, it is like adding an additional $1.95 to the cost!  I agree that is is way too much for the pups, a better choice would be contact the butcher to see if he has any scraps or heart or other low cost parts for sale. If not, look into getting chicken.

You also will need a fairly large freezer for that.
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

storis momma

• Potty Trained
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 06:12:01 PM »
Yeah, that's what I was wondering.  Kinda made me raise an eyebrow, lol.  Yeah beef is more expensive in Canada.  I think the lowest I've paid for meat was $1/lb for stewing hens, and $1.49/lb for turkey.  Chicken is disgusting expensive, and beef and pork are in the middle.  Fortunately we have moved to a town that has fishers and hunters so we are trying to make friends.  Hunter friends = free to cheap game!
Carla
Mom to Stori 4/11/09

WildBeanerz

• Canine Good Citizen
  • Macie
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 10:05:54 AM »
My one thought would be if you have to ship it anyway regardless of if it is 4 hrs away or 24 hrs would it really matter where they are located? Maybe you could find a much better deal further away since you have to ship anyway.

April - mom of
Bones RIP big guy 11.04.10 :angel:
Macie 8 yrs brindle female
Chloe 11.19.09 fawn female
Love my rescue