Author Topic: This isn't my pup--what to do?  (Read 3098 times)

storis momma

• Potty Trained
This isn't my pup--what to do?
« on: December 21, 2011, 07:13:18 PM »
Stori has always been friendly towards other dogs, no matter age, size, breed.  We've just moved to another city and made friends with a couple that also has boxers.  They have a 1.5 year old female (Kaia) and a 4 month old male (Luke).  Stori is madly in love with the male puppy, however the female and stori haven't really got along.  They just barely tolerate each other, but sometimes they'll just stare at each other and then they'll get into a barking match which sometimes get's physical (face fighting, up on back legs pawing at each other).  I've been trying to watch them to see what sets them off like that and they set each other off, so it isn't just 1 dog who's instigating it.  Some theories I have are that the couple got Luke (the male puppy) while Kaia (their female) was still young, so maybe Kaia thinks that Stori is now going to be part of the family too and is jealous.  Another theory I have is that Kaia and Stori are fighting for dominance, or Kaia and Stori are being protective of their families.

I don't know what to do to help them get along.  I don't know if when they get into "fighting" if we should just let them sort it out (it does seem like more barking than anything else), or if we should be separating them.  Help!
Carla
Mom to Stori 4/11/09

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: This isn't my pup--what to do?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 08:21:16 PM »
Since the female isn't your dog, I'd be inclined to separate them or limit their contact.  Dogs in the same pack may work things out after time, but "visiting" dogs don't have enough consistent contact. 

Are you visiting in someone's home or in neutral territory?  It takes a very mellow dog to enjoy another dog "invading" their turf.  Xena used to get snarky about certain things with her very best buddy, Oliver, when he came to visit our apartment.  They'd play all day long without a snip at the dog park, even in our car going to and from... but put him in "her" house and the mood shifted.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

storis momma

• Potty Trained
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 09:37:28 PM »
Their first meeting was in neutral territory at the park.  they've met there a couple times before going to houses.  They fought a couple times at the park the first time, then the second time at the park they each had their own ball so they were busy doing their own thing.  We went over to their house a few nights ago and they snipped at each other at the beginning but were fine for the rest of the evening, and the same thing when they came over to our house last night.  Stori used to love having visitors and visiting, but that was at our old house.  Maybe she isn't secure in the new apartment yet (we've only been here since the beginning of December, after living in the same apartment for 2 years) and Kaia may be picking up on Stori's insecurities?
Carla
Mom to Stori 4/11/09

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 09:40:08 PM »
Sometimes, dogs just don't get along. Just as people, dogs don't always have to like each other. Stori may love other dogs, but maybe she just doesn't like this dog and maybe never will. I'd also just keep them seperated and don't force it til either of them are ready (which may be never). Also keep in mind, females can have issues with each other too, so again...they may never get along. Nothing wrong with either dog, they just don't wanna be buds. ;)
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 06:55:07 AM »
Storis must know something...I would keep them separated, or make sure they have their own ball all the tiem, which may or may not work all the time.  easier to keep them apart...
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

storis momma

• Potty Trained
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 01:39:53 PM »
Okay, thanks everyone.  We were hoping they'd eventually get along, but I don't want to force it.  At least Stori is good buds with the younger pup
Carla
Mom to Stori 4/11/09

Sophia Sadeyes

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 02:34:40 PM »
Just chiming in here. Not all dogs get along and sometimes same sex dogs are not a good pairing.

Keep their interactions brief and successful and avoid any triggers (like meeting at each other's house).
Always know it could go poorly so always be prepared for a conflict. Hope they can at least accept each other.
Good luck.
Sophia: CGC, OAJ, 05.05.06
Strummer: CGC, OA, AXJ  02.20.08

Eilene

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 12:34:41 PM »
Hoping they eventually get along but some dogs do not get along no matter how long it is...
Eilene
Nala, Luna
Forever in my heart Amber,Bailey,Chicklet,Tequila

storis momma

• Potty Trained
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 03:53:25 PM »
They've met a couple more times and they've been doing much better!  My husband and I took care of them on Christmas cuz their mom and dad were working and Stori and Kaia actually snuggled together for a while.  Slowly they're learning how to play with each other. 
Carla
Mom to Stori 4/11/09

WildBeanerz

• Canine Good Citizen
  • Macie
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 07:48:44 AM »
They've met a couple more times and they've been doing much better!  My husband and I took care of them on Christmas cuz their mom and dad were working and Stori and Kaia actually snuggled together for a while.  Slowly they're learning how to play with each other. 

Good to hear. Just keep a good eye on the situation and remove one or the other if they get too excited.

April - mom of
Bones RIP big guy 11.04.10 :angel:
Macie 8 yrs brindle female
Chloe 11.19.09 fawn female
Love my rescue

storis momma

• Potty Trained
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 11:41:24 PM »
So Stori and Kaia have worked out their differences and are getting along great now.  They've finally figured out how to play with each other and will often ignore Luke to play with each other.  Poor Luke!
Carla
Mom to Stori 4/11/09

rmkoruga

• Socialized
  • Rachel-owned by Leroy Brown 6/21/03
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 10:53:55 AM »
Yay!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Rachel-
Leroy Brown 06/03