Author Topic: HELP!!! Chewing is destroying my life!!!  (Read 3137 times)

tburnett1986

• Just Whelped
HELP!!! Chewing is destroying my life!!!
« on: December 21, 2011, 02:47:55 PM »
Hi, So I have a wonderful almost 2year old female boxer who is just amazing with an incredible personality. Sure, like everyone else she has her character flaws, such as peeing on the floor on the rare occassion, jumping on strangers, etc... But for the most part she is awesome! However, her habits of chewing on anything within reach is killing me! She particularly enjoys news papers, magazines, sunglasses... well basically if you name it, she's probably destroyed it at some point. Now here is the kicker.... When I am home (or anyone is home for that matter) she is the perfect ANGEL! But the minute she is left the destruction begins. She has a thousand and one toys around the house from filled kongs to stuffingless squeeky animals... She also has a very mellow 2year old husky to keep her company. So there are plenty of distractions and plenty of good model behavior being shown to her when I am gone. Here is the other problem, I have started kenneling her again (she's kennel trained) but now my Husky has taken up where she left off and while the destruction that Rocca does is no where near what Diamond can do in half the time   ;) its now double the issue. I don't want to kennel either but I don't know how to break Diamond of this destructive behavior because I never physically catch her chewing anything but her toys... I only come home to her aftermath... :( And I think Rocca has begun chewing because she doesn't like Diamond being kept away from her... Maybe she's seeing it as a punishment (they both probably are) but I am just seeing it as a way to prevent my entire house from being eaten. Does anyone have advice that doesn't require kenneling as my only solution to this problem...? Even the no chew sprays don't work :(   :fingerscrossed:

Patti

• Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: HELP!!! Chewing is destroying my life!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 02:57:34 PM »
You are looking for the miracle solution that doesn't exist, unfortunately. Kenneling is the solution if you want to be 100% sure your things aren't destroyed. There's nothing wrong with crating, it keeps the dogs safe as well. Imagine if a pair of sunglasses or worse was swallowed. You are doing them (and your wallet) a favor by crating them when you can't be there to supervise. Good luck with it :)
Patti & Otis (8/18/2006)

tburnett1986

• Just Whelped
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 03:03:35 PM »
Sorta sad about that but you are right about keeping her safe. There have been a couple times I have worried and checked poop for toys and items that randomly disappear throughout the house. Thankfully nothing has turned up  :thumbsup: But there is no way to curb her chewing if she is intent on doing? What about muzzling her? Would she associate the two? She's dewclawless so I am pretty positive she wouldn't be able to get it off?

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 03:09:51 PM »
yep, crating her is probably the only solution. As far as the muzzle, where there is a will there is a way, and even w/o dews she could possibly get it off.  I think the crating is the best. I crate 3 due to various issues, no chewing thankfully, but other things.
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 03:17:38 PM »
I personally would not try a muzzle . She may be able to get it off or even worse hurt herself . I have heard of a dog scratching his eye while trying to get a muzzle off , it took a long time ( months )  trying to get the eye healed .

Are you sure it was only 1 of them destroying things . It could have been both and since no one was home to see who was destroying things . Many times when one dog does something the other may join in the fun.

Crating both of them may be the only safe option .
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

BoxerHeaven

• Just Whelped
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 03:21:51 PM »
When I did my rescues and I had a few that had this similar problems.  I had to crate them too. 

Patti

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 03:22:04 PM »
Personally, I wouldn't muzzle. Especially when you're not home, she could hurt herself.  The only way yo really train her out of it is to catch her in the act and let her know it's not ok, repeatedly. I don't think it would work while you're gone though if it's a seperation anxiety thing, or if she is just really intent on chewing. Some dogs are just super chewers :shrug: Does she get lots of exercise and recreational bones to chew before you leave her for any amount of time?
Patti & Otis (8/18/2006)

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • "No Pressure, no diamonds"-Mary Case
    • Getting Evan
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 03:48:20 PM »
My Pnut has shredded the sheets off my bed (and other stuff) when given freedom. I made the decision to keep her on crate lockdown when we are gone.

If you start crating your girl, make sure that there is t anything on or near the crate that can be chewed up (my husband lost a couple of pairs of pj bottoms that way)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mom to:
Beasley (flashy fawn male) born 11/15/2005
Peanut (classic brindle female) born 2/15/2009
Evan (two legged brunette male) born 4/20/2011

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 08:11:25 PM »
Crating is definitely the safest bet for both.  As you said, you can't catch them in the act to correct the behavior. Muzzles are meant for short periods of time and with supervision, not as behavior correction.

Dogs often use chewing to alleviate boredom, which makes sense since the second dog chewing started when she lost access to her playmate.  I would also make sure both dogs are getting enough exercise. 

Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12