Author Topic: Separation Anxiety/Kenneling  (Read 2705 times)

WildBeanerz

• Canine Good Citizen
  • Macie
Re: Separation Anxiety/Kenneling
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2011, 12:33:33 PM »
Even after that explanation I still think a behaviorist is the proper route for you to go. They can help first with the separation anxiety and then with the crate training. They can also help get the two dogs socialized. I know you say that he doesn't have a behavior problem but just because he is obedient doesn't mean he doesn't have a behavior problem. There really aren't psychiatrists for dogs so that is why we recommend a behaviorist. They are the next best thing.

Is it a matter of money? Can you not afford the sessions with a behaviorist? Could you maybe take like two weeks off work and work very slowly and gently on crate training him yourself? 5 mins in the crate and you are back. Or even work on the separation problem first. Leave the house. 5 mins later you are back. Then extend the time when he gets more comfortable. There is really only so much that we can suggest to you.

I also would seriously reconsider the boyfriend. Is there something about him that makes Diesel not want you out of his sight? Or was this behavior present before the bf?

April - mom of
Bones RIP big guy 11.04.10 :angel:
Macie 8 yrs brindle female
Chloe 11.19.09 fawn female
Love my rescue

Diesels Mommy

• Just Whelped
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2011, 12:37:57 PM »
Well that is a little silly.  No the boyfriend is not new.  But we are just now starting to combine the households on a regular basis.  Getting ready to be engaged and living together.  I do love Diesel.  I love my boyfriend too.  There is a happy median.  I am highly attached to Diesel and this will be a topic in our "pre-marital" counseling sessions.  As I said before I love Diesel enough to do whatever it takes to make him happy even if it means breaking my heart.  If he were to be re-homed, it would be with a family member who can offer him a better environment with out crates.  I cry every time I think about this situation so do not judge me or my feelings for my dog.  My boyfriend has tried everything he knows of to prevent re-homing our beloved pets....he overlooked some serious and expensive damage to his house which is on the market to be sold.  We are not just 2 people trying to ditch our dogs in order to be together but 2 people who love each other and love our dogs....and are in a predicament on what is right, what is fair, what is best for our future family.  Thank you.

Diesels Mommy

• Just Whelped
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2011, 12:45:32 PM »
Wild Beanerz....yes I can now consider a behaviorist seeing how I understand exactly what they are.  I was under the impression a behaviorist was like a trainer.  No I can not take off for 2 weeks to crate train Diesel. I am the only person in my department.  && Only get 2 weeks a year...and having a 7 year old son...I need those for doctor appointments, field trips, and holiday time.  As for my boyfriend, he loves Diesel and Diesel loves him. The following me around started after he was fixed this past monday.  I am beginning to think that caused his separation anxiety to worsen and maybe we should have waited for the training....BUT he was having accidents as well (from the surgery) so we thought we were doing the right thing. 

Sir Duke

• Potty Trained
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2011, 12:52:42 PM »
Then spend the time and effort working with a behaviorist to correct this behavior.  It is not something that will be corrected over night it will take time and effort from both you and your boyfriend and perhaps his dog too.

The fact the re-homing has come up.... :thumbsdown:

WildBeanerz

• Canine Good Citizen
  • Macie
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2011, 01:02:32 PM »
Wild Beanerz....yes I can now consider a behaviorist seeing how I understand exactly what they are.  I was under the impression a behaviorist was like a trainer.  No I can not take off for 2 weeks to crate train Diesel. I am the only person in my department.  && Only get 2 weeks a year...and having a 7 year old son...I need those for doctor appointments, field trips, and holiday time.  As for my boyfriend, he loves Diesel and Diesel loves him. The following me around started after he was fixed this past monday.  I am beginning to think that caused his separation anxiety to worsen and maybe we should have waited for the training....BUT he was having accidents as well (from the surgery) so we thought we were doing the right thing. 

This explanation makes me happier. Not that you should be seeking our approval. It is just hard when in the first post here that someone says basically if their dog doesn't stop whatever they are doing they are going to rehome them. I hope you can see our side too in that respect.

I would maybe contact your vet or the local kennel club to see if they can help with recommending a good behaviorist. Not a trainer. Make sure they know that you know the difference. This will be a process. I hope you can keep him safe and happy during the work that will be involved. Good luck.

April - mom of
Bones RIP big guy 11.04.10 :angel:
Macie 8 yrs brindle female
Chloe 11.19.09 fawn female
Love my rescue

Diesels Mommy

• Just Whelped
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2011, 01:11:16 PM »
Yes the fact re-homing has come up.  I have a small child who could get hurt if their behavior is not corrected...and we plan on having another.   His new home would be with a family member who would spoil him rotten which is the only reason I have considered it.

Diesels Mommy

• Just Whelped
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2011, 01:14:57 PM »
The only reason I joined this forum is bc I researched Boxer's and discovered alot of Boxers have anxiety issues...I was hoping for advice or ideas that have actually worked for other people.  I was not looking for rude comments, judgments, and especially not someone recommending I ditch my future husband over it!  I am a huge animal lover but I don't agree with an animal determining who you marry! 

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2011, 04:58:48 PM »
Hmmmm...seems more responses are more in accordance with mine.  I said nothing that should have upset you.  You did not want conventional information, tried & true techniques...you were acting as if you have had the only dog that has had crate issues, you are not.  I originally, and firstly stated you should see a behaviorist, you poo-pooed that...I explained a behaviorist and what they do, you chose to ignore that and give reasons as to why you may need to think of re-homing your dog...funny it hit me the way it did, and apparently it hit others the same way.  For you to think I wasn't providing you correct or valid information but to focus on the post I made that maybe, just maybe Diesel is sensing something you are not able to feel...you focus on that??? SO, PLEASE LET ME START AGAIN...

Diesel is reacting like any dog that is not familiar with something, that has been coddled his whole life and now has to take a backseat.  His reaction to the crate and being away from you is not uncommon, more common than you seem to want to believe.  If you have available to you a behaviorist, please take him to see one...no matter where he goes, with you or somewhere else, this behavior will not change until you find out why he is behaving like he is.  What will happen next, with you or somewhere else - if this isn't dealt with, is that an approximately 4 year old boxer will be given to a shelter because he has "issues".  Treating those issues, and having the person he loves (you) help him through his "issues" will make him a wonderful companion for you, your future husband and your children.  Before you think of rehoming him, please take that same love you have to keep him alive as a 4 week old puppy and work with him and a behaviorist.

You might find me a bit callous - and sometimes I am. I have heard all the reasons/excuses/lies/etc for rehoming a pup. I have rescued those pups, with all those reasons that were given when the dog was given up on, since 1984.  I am working on my 14th boxer and second westie.  I have taken on some HUGE problem children (pups) in those years, the newest one I have being my biggest problem child...I would NEVER get rid of her...altho I do threaten her with it on occasion!

When I remarried in 92, my husband was not a boxer person...he is now, and he is the one person I trust the most to take care of the pups just like I would, even tho he grumbles at times.

Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

BranwenBoxers

• Canine Good Citizen
  • " Branwen's Eastern Sea " Millie
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2011, 08:27:36 PM »
Along with your boy seeing a behaviorist you can also start feeding him his meals in the kennel with the door open at first .  Then after a few days start to close the door , but not locking it .  Then after a few more days start to close and lock him in till he is done .  Then maybe you can start to extend the time he is in there .  You also might want to invest in a metal kennel liner so he cant eat the floor .     

I do agree he has a big problem that needs to be fixed or worked out  , and giving him to someone else will not make the problem go away in his new home .   Even if they were a family member , the whole idea of sending him to someone else might even make his anxity worse .     

So please the best thing for him is for you to help him through his problems .  Getting him at 4 weeks old was way to early .  He needed his  mamma , and his siblings to teach him how to be a dog .  And I think that him being taken away so early set him up for the problems he is having now .  I am not bashing you at all  , so please don't take it that way .           
Heather
Branwen Boxers
www.BranwenBoxers.com