Author Topic: Separation Anxiety/Kenneling  (Read 2806 times)

Diesels Mommy

• Just Whelped
Separation Anxiety/Kenneling
« on: December 05, 2011, 02:25:49 PM »
I am in desperate need of serious advice on seperation/kennel anxiety in my baby boy, Diesel.  Diesel is 15 months old and I have had him since he was 4 weeks old.  I bottle fed him and even had dog sitters if I was leaving him alone for longer than a work day.  As one would say, he is a very "attention spoiled" little guy.  From the time I got him and until now, he has refused to be "contained".  I have always let him rome my house and/or his outside dog run.  My 7 year old son and him wear each other out. Recently I have gotten more serious with my boyfriend and I am spending more time away from home.  My boyfriends dog and my dog get jealous over our attention (and snip at one another) so even when I take Diesel with me, we have to take turns putting the dogs in a kennel.  Diesel, however, refuses. He has busted the plastic kennel.  He has managed escaping the black metal one and tearing a door frame/door down to get into the living room.  We then had to get zip ties and pad locks to keep him from weaseling out of his kennel.  We can put the kennel in the bedroom with us and he is fine.  But if he can not see me, he whimpers, barks, claws, bites, chews, anything he has to do to remove himself from the kennel.  Therefore going on a date or to dinner is out of the question.  Once we secured the kennel (Diesel proofed it), he couldn't get out but still panicked by hyperventilating, drooling excessively, barking, whinning, and somehow managed to break the bottom plastic piece into tiny pieces and throw them outside of the kennel.  Diesel has scabs all around his mouth and nose from trying to chew out.  He has popped a toe nail off completely.  He even managed to destroy the brand new carpet under neath him.  This behavior is not him acting out.  He has a sense of fear and anxiety written all over his face and will not let me out of his sight when he is let out of the kennel.  He then will curl up into a ball and sleep.  When I wake him up he looks very sad and emotionally disturbed. He won't even go potty unless I stand right beside him.  I tried benedryl and it works for an hour or so...but obviously I will not be able to "sedate" him every time we swap the dogs out.  If I can not get this under control, I will have to consider finding Diesel another home so he is not suffering.  He is my "fur baby" and I am trying to avoid that if at all possible.  His bond with me is so strong I am not sure a new and better home will even cure his anxiety from being away from me.  This is not a mild case of "obedience" or "behavior" problems so please no "common sense" replies.  I am in need of something SEVERE.   :fingerscrossed:

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
Re: Separation Anxiety/Kenneling
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 02:40:53 PM »
Since you don't seem to care for the " maybe see a behaviorist" suggestion, maybe getting the DAP diffuser would be something to try. I have no idea why you had him since 4 weeks, that may be part of his problem. Another suggestion is to see a vet to make sure he has no physical issues going on and possibly getting him a sedative when he is crated.
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Diesels Mommy

• Just Whelped
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 02:55:17 PM »
I do not think he has a behavior problem.  He is a very obedient and well trained dog.  He has an issue being away from me and it is clearly a "separation anxiety" problem.  I am looking for remedies and/or ways to calm him and reassure him.  As I said before, this is not something that is an "easy" fix.  I have tried almost everything. Food, treats, thunder vest, benedryl, pictures, clothes recently worn by me, his bed, I had to go into the spare bedroom where the kennels are kept and sleep in that bed in order to calm him..  If I even tried moving in bed or considered going into the other room, Diesel would pop up and immediately start hyperventilating.    :bigcry:

Diesels Mommy

• Just Whelped
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 03:02:15 PM »
Oh and the reason I have had him since he was 4 weeks was bc they were very large puppies and they were hurting the mother while nursing and she was turning them down bc they were drawing blood to her nipples.  She was refusing them and they were lacking nutrition.  My son and I picked Diesel out at birth.  The owner called us up and asked that we nursed them so they would stand a chance. 

WildBeanerz

• Canine Good Citizen
  • Macie
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 03:16:53 PM »
Crating is a process. You can't just introduce it one day and expect him to accept it after 14 months of freedom. I honestly would look into a behaviorist. Not just a dog trainer but someone who can work with this behavior and help you to crate train him properly. It does seem that he has severe anxiety and separation anxiety. A behaviorist could work with you through issues with that before the crating issue too. Once the anxiety is resolved the crating may not be an issue any longer.

I hope that you don't take that as a pushy answer. This doesn't sound like a problem that will be resolved quickly or easily though. It sounds like he has not learned proper coping skills from being taken away from his litter too early. Not saying that you did that to him but for whatever reason you got him so young it may not have been beneficial to him.

April - mom of
Bones RIP big guy 11.04.10 :angel:
Macie 8 yrs brindle female
Chloe 11.19.09 fawn female
Love my rescue

BoxerPerson

• Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 03:17:21 PM »
Behavior issues do not necessarily have anything to do with being obedient & well trained...it has to do with why an animal behaves in a specific manner.  

Patti

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 04:55:52 PM »
Why do you have to take turns putting them in kennel? It seems if your bf's dog does fine in the kennel that should be the solution. Is Diesel ok with free roam in the house while you're away?

If not, then I would suggest the behaviorist as well.
Patti & Otis (8/18/2006)

BoxerPerson

• Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 05:11:34 PM »
I may be wrong, but it seems that you are looking for justification IF you choose to rehome your dog...the statement "no common sense replies" seems like a rather strange statement for someone looking for suggestions...

Patti, I agree, if the other dog seems fine crated and Diesel doesn't like it, crate the one that has no issue with it.  Or, and this isn't a "common sense reply" by any means...maybe your dog knows something you don't and doesn't like the boyfriend or the situation...I mean it is well known that dogs sometimes (more often than not) do know things we as humans have no clue to.

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 07:06:52 PM »
I would definitely suggest a veterinary behaviorist (not dog trainer)... he doesn't have a training problem but DOES have a behavior problem.  Drooling, crate breaking, etc are all problematic behaviors being driven by stress.  A behaviorist can help you figure out how to recondition Diesel or at least manage the situation.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 08:30:44 AM »
I would definitely suggest a veterinary behaviorist (not dog trainer)... he doesn't have a training problem but DOES have a behavior problem.  Drooling, crate breaking, etc are all problematic behaviors being driven by stress.  A behaviorist can help you figure out how to recondition Diesel or at least manage the situation.

I definately agree.
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 08:33:25 AM »
As others have said this anxiety  is a behavior problem .

Crate training is a long process and should be done gradually . First of all the crate should never be in a place where the dog is isolated it should be in an area where the dog can see what is going on . Boxers are very people oriented and putting him in a room alone where he can hear and smell you but not see you is probably making his anxiety worse .

And it is common for a mom to stop nursing puppies at 4 weeks .That is the time when a breeder needs to step up and begin weaning the puppies to solid food . It is the socialization , dog /dog interaction and learning to be a dog the puppies receive from the mom and litter mates that they need . Maybe the lack of dog / dog socialization at a young age has something to do with him not getting along with the other dog and anxiety .
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 09:21:27 AM »
Once we secured the kennel (Diesel proofed it), he couldn't get out but still panicked by hyperventilating, drooling excessively, barking, whinning, and somehow managed to break the bottom plastic piece into tiny pieces and throw them outside of the kennel. 

This is not a mild case of "obedience" or "behavior" problems so please no "common sense" replies.  I am in need of something SEVERE.   :fingerscrossed:
I really don't understand how you are so sensitive over the replies of this being a "behavior" problem. It most certainly is. You may not understand fully the difference between obedience, behavior and anxiety and stress issue.

I fully agree if crating is how you want to handle the multi-dog ituation, then you will need to rethink how you are going about it.
My first question is....How did you introduce the crate to him? You've never crated him before, then take him to a new environment and put him in a crate? That stuff doesn't happen over night. Consider slowly introcuding him to the crate. Small amounts of time in the crate....AT YOUR HOME! ;) Get him used to the crate at your house before you force him into another environment, with another dog around (who he already has issues with) and expect him to be ok with just going into the crate. Heck, both of mine are crate trained (were from the start), but take em to another environment, put them in the crate, and they stress as well. Not as bad as your dog and they eventually settle down....but again, they are used to their crates.

If you get him used to the crate at home, then he should be a bit  more used to it somewhere else. But this takes time...not in one day.

Otherwise, a behaviorist is the way to go. He does have some serious anxiety issues - which is a behavior problem (not being bratty), but I feel some of it may stem from the lack of a slow introduction to the crate.
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

Diesels Mommy

• Just Whelped
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 12:14:04 PM »
First off "Boxer Person" those are the kind of replies I requested not to receive.  No hard feelings but I am not being rude and I am reaching out for help for my dog and I.  I have NEVER had a dog with these problems and do not like the attack on your behalf.  To everyone else, thank you for your suggestions.  The reason we have to keep them separated is bc they are both very "possessive" of their owners and my bf's dog has snapped at Diesel (Diesel is not a fighter and will get hurt if a fight breaks out).  Overall they are both very good dogs.  And we both realize it will take some time to get them to cooperate and behave.  However, Diesel did do over a thousand dollars worth of damage at my boyfriends house, so he is growing impatient with Diesel.  I did introduce him to the crate at my home before taking him to the boyfriends and crating him.  He busted out of the kennel at my house as well.  He will sleep in his crate beside my bed and as long as I do not shut it...but the moment I shut the door on his crate he FLIPS OUT! I have never had to crate train a dog so I will admitt I am clueless on how to "properly" do it.  All of my past pets have been free to roam my house and/or yard.....however my boyfriend does not feel the same about that. (Which will not determine whether I stay with him or not).  He wants the dogs in crates when we are not there.  Our plan is to eventually allow both dogs out while we are home and to crate them while we are not.  BUT we have to take precautions until they are comfortable with one another bc one fight could mean fatality or serious injury for Diesel bc the other dog is far more powerful than my playful pup.  My bf runs a business from his home, so he can't have one dog out and not the other bc the one in the crate will bark non stop and he can't work like that.  Re-homing Diesel will be one of the hardest things I have ever had to do bc he is part of my family but I love him enough to do what is best for him.  If I can get this behavior under control without him hurting himself more and/or developing stronger anxiety issues, I am willing to try just about anything...BUT seeing him sit in a puddle of his own saliva and seeing his nose bright red and the sad look in his eyes...is too much.  I would rather know he can be happy in a different home then to force him to be in my home and miserable.  I would say that means I am a pretty responsible pet mommy!

Sir Duke

• Potty Trained
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 12:28:41 PM »
Ditch the boyfriend...

Sorry but you are actually considering re-homing a dog that you have had since 4 weeks old, one that you are saying is totally and completely attached to you.   :wall:   Obviously you do not feel the same about Diesel.

By the sounds of it, this boyfriend is rather new and you are just now spending more time together.
Ditch the boyfriend not the dog!

Missy/Precious mom

• Most Encouraging Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 12:31:57 PM »
Ditch the boyfriend...

Sorry but you are actually considering re-homing a dog that you have had since 4 weeks old, one that you are saying is totally and completely attached to you.   :wall:   Obviously you do not feel the same about Diesel.

By the sounds of it, this boyfriend is rather new and you are just now spending more time together.
Ditch the boyfriend not the dog!
 :yes:

Joyce