Author Topic: Sitting politely for greeting  (Read 1608 times)

lucyana1129

• Fully Weaned
Sitting politely for greeting
« on: November 09, 2011, 02:59:04 PM »
Dixie loves everyone. She loves meeting new people and dogs. What we are having trouble with is greeting nicely. Id like her to sit and calmly allow someone to pet her when meeting. Or to sit and let me talk to someone without being so crazy excited. I have been having her sit on my side when someone wants to pet her but as soon as their hand comes close she jumps up and does the booty wiggle and tries to jump. I'm assuming the best way to deal with this is to have the person ignore her until she can sit politely but how do you do that with people you don't know well or people you have never met that just want to pet her? She's so people friendly and I love that about her but id really like her to be better mannered when meeting new people. Thanks!

Patti

• Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Sitting politely for greeting
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 03:05:13 PM »
Let me know when you figure it out ;)
Patti & Otis (8/18/2006)

WildBeanerz

• Canine Good Citizen
  • Macie
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 03:55:58 PM »
Macie is totally this way. Chloe is afraid of new people (mostly men) so if someone new tries to pet her she usually squats and pees instead of jumping on them. I'm still looking for a solution to that too! :)

April - mom of
Bones RIP big guy 11.04.10 :angel:
Macie 8 yrs brindle female
Chloe 11.19.09 fawn female
Love my rescue

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 06:31:28 PM »
Chloe sounds like Snookie.

Make everyone treat her the same...and you make her sit until YOU release her.  I have mine sit and wait until I tell them ok. Snookie is the hard one and piddles and will run & hide at times. but I am persistent and make her sit when her natural curiosity comes into play and she needs to see what is going on.  I don't get many visitors but when I do I make he behave like the others.
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 07:06:29 PM »
When it comes to the "general public", I find that being lighthearted but clear generally gets the message across.  If you tell them what she needs to do and they say "oh, I don't mind if she jumps!" say something about her not knowing who is OK and who isn't .. I've said stuff like "You don't mind, but my grandmother does and my pup doesn't know the difference".  The more consistency you get, the quicker it'll sink in. 

You can also try shortening up the leash so that if she does jump, she can't "land" on them.  It doesn't solve the problem, but she doesn't get the reward of reaching them so it makes the misbehavior less fun. 

Maturity will also help.. the more meeting people becomes "old hat" and sitting get rewarded, the more likely she'll offer the behavior.  When you get her in class, if they cover sitting nicely for a greeting, she'll get lots of good reps in with the trainer (and hopefully others).
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

3BOXERS

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 07:54:05 PM »
Sounds like typical boxer greeting!