Author Topic: Ran AKC today..  (Read 2752 times)

Mom2Rocky

• Fully Weaned
    • Wild River Boxers
Ran AKC today..
« on: October 30, 2011, 08:09:20 PM »
I ran Rocky in the American Belgian Tervuren AKC agility trial today... I only entered him for one day.

So proud of my boy! Rocky got 1st place in both Novice Standard and Novice JWW today!! He ran beautifully on Jumpers with Weaves!! He ran JWW in 26.76 seconds and didn't have any faults. Standard he ran in 53.68 seconds and had one 5 point fault.

I thought for sure he would get the zoomies today.. He was very hyped up and overly excited to be there.. But he pulled it together in the ring and did an awesome job!! So now he has 2 legs in Jww and 2 legs in Standard (both novice preferred). I think he did wonderful for his 3rd AKC trial!!

It also helped that I was more focused and have been working a lot on MY handling skills and making sure I give him clear signlas. Many people complimented us today on how well we are doing for a novice team.. Especially a new handler with a very young boxer (he will be 2 on November 7th)... I think Rocky is easy to train and don't see why people are so suprised he is doing so well. He is egar to please and a pleasure to work with ;)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 08:17:05 PM by Mom2Rocky »

Rocky NA, NAP, NJP, OJC,  O-NJC, O-NAC, TG-N, TN-N, CGC

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Ran AKC today..
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 08:20:27 PM »
Sounds like you guys are burning up Novice!  Hey and take the compliments - it isn't every boxer OR every handler that can get such quick success in the ring!  :guitarist:  Rock on!
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

TLC Mom

• Most Involved with Boxer Rescue - 2009
  • Socialized
  • Try to get it out of my mouth, I dare ya!!
    • Almost Home Az Boxer Rescue
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 08:55:28 PM »
Congrats!!!
Vicki ~ Mom to Lucy/Chloe/Pippen/Tillman
Forever ♥: Taylor - 2/93-3/09
                  Porter - 11/09-5/13

Mom2Rocky

• Fully Weaned
    • Wild River Boxers
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 11:11:54 PM »
Thank you! :)

Our next AKC probably won't be until January.. Unless I decide to travel and with being in school full-time... I don't think that will happen. We have just been running locally when we have the chance. There is at least one NADAC or AKC trial held every month in my area. We will be running NADAC in November and fingers crossed that Rocky picks up his Touch N Go title.. I guess we will see how my handling is LOL...

Once he gets the one more leg in both Standard & JWW I'm not sure what we will do. We are not ready for Open yet.. Maybe he is.. But I'm not!! Sometimes I do great and run totally smooth and sometimes I'm so nervous I forget to communicate with him ha!! I was thinking of moving him up to just Novice Standard/JWW classes to where he wouldn't be jumping preferred @ 20" anymore and would move up to 24". He isn't use to jumping at 24" tho.

We are having a total blast and I am greatful he turned out to be such a great agility dog.. From what everyone says boxers can be quite stubborn and take a long time to train.. I don't find that the case... and I never knew that as he is my first dog I have ever train in agility or anything competitive...It could be that I have a LOT of patience with him and work with him all the time too though. It does feel great to hear other trainers from other clubs tell me I am doing an amazing job with him. It's all about the fun for me .. and the adrenaline rush is awesome too LOL.. Wayyy too addicting!!

Oh.. and it was nice to see 3 other boxers there this weekend!! :)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 11:26:29 PM by Mom2Rocky »

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 06:19:11 AM »
Congrats to you & Rocky!
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 09:42:11 AM »
Great job  :thumbsup:
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

Sophia Sadeyes

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 10:06:57 AM »
Congrats. Always nice to hear a boxer doing well in agility.

If you guys get your Novice Preferred titles, I'd keep him in Novice but consider moving him to the regular class. Even if you don't, there's nothing saying you have to move your dog up. There's no rush and it could be stressful for both you and your dog.

Oh, even though it's only 4", it's changes the way your dog strides and jumps to you def want to practice 24" jumps.
Sophia: CGC, OAJ, 05.05.06
Strummer: CGC, OA, AXJ  02.20.08

Eilene

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 02:24:05 PM »
 :thumbsup:
Eilene
Nala, Luna
Forever in my heart Amber,Bailey,Chicklet,Tequila

Mom2Rocky

• Fully Weaned
    • Wild River Boxers
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 10:45:25 PM »
Thank you!  ;D

Yes, I'll probably move him to Novice B. No rush to move to open...He's still a baby. Plus, I would only see myself being very overwhelmed and frustrated... Eeek!

Lisa

• Socialized
  • My pack, 5/27/12
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 04:21:16 PM »
Congratulations to you and Rocky!  :thumbsup:
Artax, male Retriever mix, 11/1/99
Koda, CGC RN TT AD, male brindle, 10/10/08
Mukki, CGC, female fawn, 4/20/10

3BOXERS

• Canine Good Citizen