Author Topic: Opinion Please  (Read 1511 times)

Mom2Rocky

• Fully Weaned
    • Wild River Boxers
Opinion Please
« on: November 09, 2011, 09:15:03 PM »
There is a 3 day NADAC trial for new years. Rocky and I have ran about 5 (?) NADAC trials and 3 AKC trials so far. All have been 2 dayers except the last AKC trial where we ran just one day. We have a 2 dayer coming up next weekend. Then we would run the new years trial.  He keeps his composure for the most part. The last AKC trial he was a little more excited than normal (I say that because he was whiney in his crate while watching the other dogs run, he wanted his turn!!). However, I feel he handles trial situations very well and he qualified on both runs. After the second day of trialing he sleeps all night into the next morning, so I know he is tired. Since we have never done a 3 day trial; I am wondering if anyone else has and what is your experience? I don't want to stress Rocky. Do you think 3 days would be too much for him? I think it may be for a newer dog, but wanted other opinions.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 09:25:07 PM by Mom2Rocky »

Rocky NA, NAP, NJP, OJC,  O-NJC, O-NAC, TG-N, TN-N, CGC

Sophia Sadeyes

• Canine Good Citizen
Re: Opinion Please
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 11:57:30 PM »
3 day trials are tiring for both human and dogs. We only do about 2-3 of them a year. Our local club has 2 three day trials a year. Generally these AKC trials also offer Fast or T2B so it's 3 runs a day.

NADAC, CPE and USDAA trials generally have a lot more runs in a day than most AKC trials too. Me personally I'd be spend at a 3 day USDAA trial (never ran NADAC). Then again I have to travel 2-3.5 hrs to most trials anyway.

He does not have a lot of trial experience and you guys are not out every or every other weekend so he may not be use to it. Also like I said 3 days of trialing is pretty tiring on the humans too. I am usually spent. You could always enter 3 days but only run 1 or 2 classes on the 3rd day.
Sophia: CGC, OAJ, 05.05.06
Strummer: CGC, OA, AXJ  02.20.08

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 10:48:30 AM »
We do them all the time because all of the trials around here are 3 days long - however, it really does take it out of them (and me). I also think that back to back weekends are hard on new dogs too. But for us the 3 day trials are all AKC where you aren't running more than 2 or 3 x a day.

It might be worthwhile trying.....or just enter 2 days and see how that goes. Or enter all 3 days but limit the number of runs you do each day.
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

3BOXERS

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 07:50:00 PM »
You can always pull if you feel he is to tired. We just did a 5 day show in confomation last month. Sure had some tired dogs after that, but we all had fun.

Mom2Rocky

• Fully Weaned
    • Wild River Boxers
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 11:01:05 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. I'm still not sure what I am going to do. Saturday they are not starting until noon so that means we can sleep in!!  That's a huge plus since Rocky likes to sleep all morning LOL. On Sunday they are not starting until 9 am.. and then on Monday "super fast set of nest courses to get everyone home early". I'm liking the later start times. And.. Rocky gets to go home every night to sleep in his own home. The facility is only 30mins away.

You can always pull if you feel he is to tired.

Yes, very true.. I was thinking the same thing. I'm worried about me too LOL.. I'm usually exhausted after 2 days.. Gettin' old LOL

His safety was my main concern.. I didn't want him getting super groggy and falling off an obstical due to slipping or something. Maybe I will just run him in the 2 tunnelers courses offered on Monday (3rd day)

Rocky NA, NAP, NJP, OJC,  O-NJC, O-NAC, TG-N, TN-N, CGC