Author Topic: Just picky?  (Read 1077 times)

whitedaisy

• Canine Good Citizen
Just picky?
« on: October 13, 2011, 07:54:40 PM »
I've been feeding raw for years and will feed any wild game I can get and then the basics are chicken, turkey, venison, and beef. Lately its been mostly the basics but I recently got some pheasant and duck too. We tried to feed the pheasant a couple weeks ago and neither of the girls would eat it. Bill insisted it was 'bad' if a dog wouldn't eat it so I reluctantly through it away. Tonight I give them duck and again they were reluctant but Daisy finally ate hers and Poppy is still pushing hers around. She just can't bring herself to eat it. After eating raw their whole lives it seems weird that they are now so picky. They will eat duck and pheasant out of a can, I've done that a couple times.
Lisa, Mom to Daisy, Poppy and Archie; Forever missing Duey

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
Re: Just picky?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 07:46:50 AM »
Hmmm, no idea, since duck is more fatty and dark and pheasant is more light or white meat.  Generally when mine stick their nose up to something I figure it was bad, like Bill said...but on occasion it was an upset tummy...could this be Poppy's issue?
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Bumpy

• Forum Wise Alec - 2008
  • Canine Good Citizen
Re: Just picky?
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 08:37:31 PM »
I think sometimes they associate certain food with a bad experience. My Shelly will eat all kinds of chicken parts but refuses backs. I believe but can't prove that she hurt her gums at one meal eating backs and now it's a no go. Just a possibility.
  Shelly CGC 7.13.06 Keanu 5.16.07