Author Topic: stupid question...  (Read 1518 times)

storis momma

• Potty Trained
stupid question...
« on: October 05, 2011, 08:19:09 PM »
For those of you who feed the whole prey model.  If I wanted to feed a chicken or whatever with the organs still attached, the stomach and intestines would have to be removed, right?
Carla
Mom to Stori 4/11/09

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
Re: stupid question...
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 08:48:53 PM »
I don't think so since dogs can and do (in the wild) eat everything. Lisa feeds raw and sometimes I think the whole animal, maybe she has the answer.
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Lisa

• Socialized
  • My pack, 5/27/12
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 11:14:54 PM »
Nothing from a chicken has to be removed.  I raise free-range chickens, breed a bunch every spring to slaughter in autumn and they are currently my dogs' primary food source.  I partially skin them for the dogs' convenience since they don't really like dealing with feathers but they have access to the entire carcasses and can eat what they want.  I give them whole deer when I can find them in winter too.
Artax, male Retriever mix, 11/1/99
Koda, CGC RN TT AD, male brindle, 10/10/08
Mukki, CGC, female fawn, 4/20/10

storis momma

• Potty Trained
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 11:27:10 PM »
Oh awesome, thanks Lisa!  Do you know about other animals as well, like rabbits?
Carla
Mom to Stori 4/11/09

Lisa

• Socialized
  • My pack, 5/27/12
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 12:43:19 AM »
You're welcome.  :)  Yes, rabbits can be fed whole too.  I've seen them for sale on raw dog food sites and may start raising them too after I get more land, as well as pigs and possibly a cow or two per year.  One thing about the chickens though, they are free-range and have an acre which they roam all day every day looking for and eating edible bugs and plants, but still need more calories and eat chicken food made primarily of grain too.  So I slaughter them just before dawn, when they've been asleep and not eating for at least the last several hours, their crops are empty and any grain in their digestive system has already been at least partially digested.  This is also the easiest and kindest time to kill them, as they are almost comatose when asleep and barely awake when I kill them even after I've carried them across the yard from the chicken house by their feet.  There's a major struggle involved if you try to kill them during the day.

Boxermom,K

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 09:09:06 PM »
The only thing I'll add is that unless you know where the chicken/rabbit is coming from be sure to do frequent stool samples to check for parasites in your dogs unless the carcass has been previously frozen as chickens and rabbits can often carry tape worm.

Bubba 12/30/00 - 10/29/07
Kristi
Mom to Laila CGC- 9 year old fawn, Viktor CGC, TDI- 7 year old heeler mix

Lisa

• Socialized
  • My pack, 5/27/12
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 09:26:05 PM »
 :thumbsup:  And look at poop!  All raw feeders especially should watch poop, making sure it's not too loose or too firm with no visible parasites (in addition to regular vet fecal exams) and adjust the meat:bone ratio or find out what else is wrong if it is.  It's reassuring that Artax, who is an absolute garbage disposal of a dog, will eat almost anything and routinely snacks on various animal parts he finds in the forest besides drinking out of the creek there almost every day, has never in his life tested positive for any fecal parasite.