Author Topic: Had to try it (shock collar)  (Read 7522 times)

Vintage Boxers

• Potty Trained
    • Vintage Boxers
Re: Had to try it (shock collar)
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2011, 02:05:43 PM »
Claire that was improperly used, and the setting for that dog were not correct.

A properly used shock collar is a tool, an extension of the handler. It is to be used in conjunction with commands. Not just for the sole purpose of shocking a dog.

I have used it for training and my dogs are not less happy nor are they scared.

Like i said, to each person their own beliefs but when ANY tool in incorrectly applied it can be painful and do the exact opposite of it's intended purpose.

S
Vintage Boxers
www.vintageboxers.com

Vintage Boxers

• Potty Trained
    • Vintage Boxers
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2011, 02:19:21 PM »
http://www.gundogsonline.com/Article/electronic-collar-training-Page1.htm

i liked this article when i RESEARCHED using the collar.
Vintage Boxers
www.vintageboxers.com

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2011, 03:03:50 PM »
Oh I am sure it was not used correctly...and I do believe that if used correctly it can be a useful tool, but I have never had a dog that I had to use one on.  Maybe if I had, I would feel differently.
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Soleil

• Vet Checked
    • Soleil Boxers Home Page
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2011, 03:58:22 PM »
but i will say this SHOCK COLLARS are not the worst training tool known to man, .

I don't know why undies are in a bunch.

Wow...Just Wow!! :thumbsdown:

agreed.. as long as they are used correctly, under the the right circumstance. 

I guess I won't be posting any SchH training videos once "the collar" is introduced.   ::)
*Soleil Boxers*
"Trucker" Lock n Load Armor, BH, ZTP

Forever in our hearts:
Ch.Shelterwoods Femme Fatale,TT (12.17.03-07.28.12 cancer)
Shelterwood's Golden Gloves,RN,CGC (8.13.02-10.31.12 cancer

Vintage Boxers

• Potty Trained
    • Vintage Boxers
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2011, 06:58:32 PM »
Kat, you can always share with me :)

it's the same thing as the electric fence people use, when you just let the dog "figure out" it's barriers, instead of teaching recall. A tool not used correctly. But as long as the dog isn't abused I can only share opinion, they still have the right to do it.

I know nobody was saying he didn't have the right, it was more of a general point!
Vintage Boxers
www.vintageboxers.com

Samsons Mom

• Most Improved Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Sir-samps-a-lot :)
    • Samson's Therapy Dog Blog
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2011, 10:23:24 PM »
Sounds like your pup needs a daily walk, and some mental stimulation. Not a shock collar  :thumbsdown:

OK, I wasn't looking for validation, just your thoughts and I appreciate even those with a holier than thou attitude.  Stuiy is a rescue, that was on the verge of having to go back into "rotation", not because I couldn't handle a longer training period, but because my fiancee was on edge and uncomfortable with him alone.  Easy choice for me, shorten his training timeline, or put him back in a situation where he was bouncing from place to place again.

Why did you adopt a Boxer if your fiancee was uncomfortable with him....  ???
Keri, owned by- Samson, CGC, Therapy Dog(7/08)

Newcastle

• Most Informed Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • WHEEE!!!!!
    • Newcastle Boxers
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2011, 08:56:59 AM »
I won't comment on timeline, but i will say this SHOCK COLLARS are not the worst training tool known to man,

Nor are they the best.

What is worse is the people who IMPROPERLY use them.

Which probably applies to at least 95% of the people that use them, unfortunately.

I have choke chains, prong collars, and shock collars. Used when needed.

That's fine, for you. Many people feel those tools are never needed, and that's fine, for them. It is certainly possible to train even the most "stubborn" dogs to an exquisitely high level of reliability in any venue without using positive punishment -- just look at the work of the Baileys -- but not all trainers possess the ability (or the desire) to do so.

i don't know why undies are in a bunch.

These types of comments (as well as the eye rolls and the "holier than thou" snark, really) are not conducive to open discussion of issues and tread on the primary rule of this forum, which is to be respectful of each other.
Jennifer Walker
Newcastle Boxers, Reg'd
Mind ~ Body ~ Spirit ~ Naturally

Visit the Boxer Crazy Store

Vintage Boxers

• Potty Trained
    • Vintage Boxers
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2011, 01:53:02 PM »
I won't comment on timeline, but i will say this SHOCK COLLARS are not the worst training tool known to man,

Nor are they the best.

What is worse is the people who IMPROPERLY use them.

Which probably applies to at least 95% of the people that use them, unfortunately.

I have choke chains, prong collars, and shock collars. Used when needed.

That's fine, for you. Many people feel those tools are never needed, and that's fine, for them. It is certainly possible to train even the most "stubborn" dogs to an exquisitely high level of reliability in any venue without using positive punishment -- just look at the work of the Baileys -- but not all trainers possess the ability (or the desire) to do so.

i don't know why undies are in a bunch.

These types of comments (as well as the eye rolls and the "holier than thou" snark, really) are not conducive to open discussion of issues and tread on the primary rule of this forum, which is to be respectful of each other.

Um, so because i choose to use other training tools, i do not possess the ability or desire to use another method? That seems just as non conducive to open discussion as not understanding why people have their undies in a bunch.

Leaving topic. But glad that some discussion was had.
Vintage Boxers
www.vintageboxers.com

Newcastle

• Most Informed Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • WHEEE!!!!!
    • Newcastle Boxers
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2011, 09:16:30 PM »
Um, so because i choose to use other training tools, i do not possess the ability or desire to use another method?

Well, yes, because if you wanted to use positive-only methods you wouldn't choose to use non-positive methods, would you? I don't see how that statement of fact is not conducive to discussion -- I could see it if I only said ability, which is why I didn't only say that.  Many trainers who are completely capable of using positive-only methods in difficult cases choose not to, for a variety of reasons.
Jennifer Walker
Newcastle Boxers, Reg'd
Mind ~ Body ~ Spirit ~ Naturally

Visit the Boxer Crazy Store

Popeyelove

• Weanling
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2012, 12:35:49 PM »
My boxer puppy is also very rambunctious and stubborn.  It is difficult to deal with.  Just give him time to mature and mellow out, which won't happen, from what I have heard about boxers, until they are about four years old.

Ferrum

• Just Whelped
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2013, 09:55:20 PM »
I am late to the convo but agree that shock collars are bad. It also sounds like your not taking you time with him (also agree ) it take lot of time to train any dog and if you change one small thing in the environment you may have to retrain in that area. Also I hope that all of this training is done in 15 to 20 min sessions no dog no matter how old cannot handle any more than 15 to 20 min at a time with an hour break in between that is just training 101 sorry if that is harsh