Author Topic: Had to try it (shock collar)  (Read 7178 times)

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
Re: Had to try it (shock collar)
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2011, 09:59:38 AM »
WOW...and this time I didn't have to say a word...thanks Deb, Dawn & Patti.  I always have "thoughts" and usually speak my mind about them, but I decided to refrain from it this time.  I guess I didn't have to say a thing.

I so agree that the amount of time you gave poor Stuiy is far short of what is needed!  My last rescue, Snookie, was abusing my last nerve with her potty accidents in her crate & in the house...she lived in a crate and apparently no one took the time to work with her!

I really was thinking I was not the appropriate home for her when suddenly it clicked.  I worked with her daily, and without punishment of any kind, just rewards...she has been a family member for almost 6 months, is 13 months old and...I STILL DON'T TRUST HER AND STILL WORK WITH HER! 2 weeks is not even getting over the honeymoon of being in your home.  Toss the collar, get up and work with him...you may be totally amazed! If your fiance can't handle him, then could it be she is not the right person?  What will she do with a crying fussy baby?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 12:20:32 PM by BoxerPerson »
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Missy/Precious mom

• Most Encouraging Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2011, 10:24:49 AM »
The only time I believe in shock collars is with an invisible fence, only to keep them safe.  If feel you are not getting anywhere with training then a trainer is the answer.  A good trainer knows how to get through to a dog.  I could never shock a dog especially a rescue that has already known too much abuse.
Joyce

aquagirl900

• Socialized
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2011, 11:36:29 AM »
I've had to use a shock collar on Bo once or twice three years ago.  We had newborn kittens and he just wanted to chase and chase them.  We had to shock him 2 or 3 times and now he cuddles with them, no chasing at all.  We decided to do this for the safety of our 1/2 pound kittens...and we only had to use the 1st shock level.  My husband put the collar on himself first too. 

whitepupzoe

• Most Supportive & Friendliest Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2011, 11:39:55 AM »
Well you got our thoughts....not our validation. And no one has come in here with a "hollier than thou" attitude. You just don't like our "thoughts," so you are getting defensive. We can all understand and sympathise with what your boy has been through. There are SEVERAL members on here that are very passionate and are volunteers for boxer rescue. They've seen it all, and we've all heard the stories.

Bottomline, two weeks isn't enough time to get down any training, especially for a 15mo old boxer. Heck, he's not even adjusted to a new home yet - that can take MONTHS! And you're giving him barely two weeks?

And to give him 2 weeks and say he was going to go back into "rotation" isn't fair....considering what he's been through, you would think you would allow him more time than that. Heck, I'd give him the world considering all he's been through...and first I'd start with a bit more patience.

I agree 100 million percent!  :thumbsup:

I happen to have a 20 month old boxer boy who is off the wall crazy...and as much as I'd like to strangle him sometimes I would never ever put a shock collar on him. I know he has a ton of energy...and to be honest if he's bouncing off the walls, most of the time it's my fault because he hasn't been exercised enough. I would have invested in a good trainer if I were you instead of a shock collar. Just my opinion.

I also have a rescue who came from a bad situation and 2 weeks is no where near enough time for them to adjust. It takes at least 6 wks for them to come out of their shell and show their true personality. And during that adjustment period...the last thing I would want to do is use a shock collar on an already traumatized dog.
Kristin ~ Mom to Abby & George

Always In My Heart ~ Angels Zoe & Ariel

rmkoruga

• Socialized
  • Rachel-owned by Leroy Brown 6/21/03
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2011, 11:55:42 AM »
I have no experience in shock collars because it is something I would never use. The only advice I can offer for an off the wall boxer puppy (which most are) is run there little buts off! When Leroy was a puppy he was horrible if I did not run him enough. It is amazing how much better they listen when they have gotten rid of all that crazy energy.
Rachel-
Leroy Brown 06/03

Christina

• Socialized
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2011, 05:01:51 PM »
I have to say that I have a shock collar for Peanut. But it's for the invisible fence WHICH is used in combination with the regular fence. I used it because Peanut jumped over the fence to chase horses and ATVs.

This is why I had one for Star, used it once to stop him from chasing cars. I don't like them, and why I have no clue where his is now.
Christina
Little Ann 2/14/96-4/6/10
Boomer 1996- 4/25/14
Lucky 4/24/04-8/27/14

Vintage Boxers

• Potty Trained
    • Vintage Boxers
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2011, 08:56:28 PM »
I won't comment on timeline, but i will say this SHOCK COLLARS are not the worst training tool known to man, nor are prong collars.

What is worse is the people who IMPROPERLY use them. I have choke chains, prong collars, and shock collars. Used when needed. If this keeps your DOG and YOU from getting hurt and they are used correctly i don't know why undies are in a bunch.

I am sorry but you could positive reinforce loki until you were blue in the face, the dog would flip you off if he could. If he doesn't want to do it, he won't!

To each their own.
Vintage Boxers
www.vintageboxers.com

Patti

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2011, 07:56:58 AM »
i don't know why undies are in a bunch.

Like you said, to each their own.
Patti & Otis (8/18/2006)

DoubleTrouble

• Retired Member
  • Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2011, 10:26:55 AM »
but i will say this SHOCK COLLARS are not the worst training tool known to man, .

I don't know why undies are in a bunch.

Wow...Just Wow!! :thumbsdown:
Deb, Jaimee and Joker
Volunteer for Four Seasons
I lost my mind while working rescue
but found my soul.

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2011, 10:43:23 AM »
The only experience I have with shock collars is from a friend who had the electric fence with shock collar . Their dog kept getting out of the electric fence so they felt they had no other option but to add the shock if the dog crossed the boundary line.

They also used a word ( watch out) when the electric fence guy came out to help train their dog . So whenever the dog got close to the fence line they would say watch out and then the dog got zapped . the dog learned very quickly to avoid the fence line .

While over visiting once I was playing with the dog and I told one of my kids to watch out ( don't remember why) the dog got scared at the sound of the words watch out and ran to lie on his bed .
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

rmkoruga

• Socialized
  • Rachel-owned by Leroy Brown 6/21/03
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2011, 11:19:21 AM »

While over visiting once I was playing with the dog and I told one of my kids to watch out ( don't remember why) the dog got scared at the sound of the words watch out and ran to lie on his bed .

this makes me feel sad.... :no:
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 01:48:05 PM by whitepupzoe »
Rachel-
Leroy Brown 06/03

BoxerPerson

• Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2011, 04:03:12 PM »
I think the collar used for the invisible fence is different than the one that is used with a remote to "correct" behavior...I saw a min pin with a SHOCK collar on at the campground...it was being used to correct the dog because she would run to the end of their site and bark at passing people.  At any rate this dog came running out while I was walking Phoebe and all of the sudden she literally flipped in the air yelping...I thought she was stung by a bee.  I was shocked to learn that this painful thing was administered by the owner...

DoubleTrouble

• Retired Member
  • Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2011, 05:47:05 PM »
At any rate this dog came running out while I was walking Phoebe and all of the sudden she literally flipped in the air yelping...I thought she was stung by a bee.  I was shocked to learn that this painful thing was administered by the owner...

OMG.... :brood: :wall:
Deb, Jaimee and Joker
Volunteer for Four Seasons
I lost my mind while working rescue
but found my soul.

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • "No Pressure, no diamonds"-Mary Case
    • Getting Evan
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2011, 07:01:33 PM »
I don't know how high the other owners have the invisible fence collars set but they are adjustable. Pnut's is set to like 4 (of  10) and it feels a bit like I static electricity shock (I tested it on me before I put it on her).
Mom to:
Beasley (flashy fawn male) born 11/15/2005
Peanut (classic brindle female) born 2/15/2009
Evan (two legged brunette male) born 4/20/2011

BoxerPerson

• Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2011, 08:40:12 PM »
The collar on the min pin was not for boundaries, it was literally for shock purposes! I ran to help the pup and saw the owner with the remote in his hand...it didn't click at first cuz I told him I thought his dog was stung, and then he held the remote out for me to see and told me her shocked her!  :o  I couldn't believe someone could/would do that to a small dog like that! :furious3: