Author Topic: home cooked diets - not raw  (Read 2072 times)

odeya

• Best Avatar & Best Show-Off Photos - 2008; Most Optimistic Member - 2009
  • Socialized
home cooked diets - not raw
« on: September 22, 2011, 08:02:34 AM »
I am trying to tighten up our budget since we are taking a pay cut with Kevin's new job and dog food, I feed TOTW, is ridiculously expensive imo. I don't have the time or the money to feed RAW but am wondering if home cooked (mixed with grains and a few veggies) would be cheaper. I used to have a recipe or two that I would make and mix with kibble but I can't find them.

Has anyone kept track of the price of home cooked and feed it exclusively?

Jack & Freya

Sir Duke

• Potty Trained
Re: home cooked diets - not raw
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 08:46:47 AM »
I don't think you are going to save any money this way.  I have tried it.  I was feeding raw and then Duke got toxoplasmosis, which you can get from eating raw meat.  So I stopped. I bought a dog cookbook which has some wonderful cooked recipes that the dogs just LOVED. But, my two eat  A L O T!!!  I could see if you had a little dog that didn't eat much. 

I would be happy to copy some recipes for you if you are interested.

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 09:31:38 AM »
I posted a bunch of recipes on homecooking, they should be in the homecooking area.  If you have a pressure cooker, cooking 10# of thighs & legs or necks (which are cheaper) and veggies, you can make quite a bit for mixing with kibble.  I will send you a link for TOTW after I get set up.  I will send it via FB if you don't mind. 
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

jesticboxers

• Vet Checked
    • Jestic Boxers
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 09:53:41 AM »

Home cooking can be cheaper if it is done right and you are able to find deals on things. What I have found works the best is just using ground hamburger or ground turkey, with either Oatmeal, rice, or sweet potatoes. And if you are mixing in kibble you don't have to worry about vitamins as they will be in the kibble.
Dani Keller
Loved By Jester, Blayne, and Lexi
Jestic Boxers
www.jesticboxers.com

Sir Duke

• Potty Trained
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 10:03:15 AM »
I think prices vary depending on where you live.  I know some people can feed raw cheaper than kibble.  In NH that is NOT going to happen.  I have looked high and low and could not even come close to the price of a really good kibble. 

Sophia Sadeyes

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 10:52:33 AM »
No idea as I have not done home cooked. I do know raw is not cheap to feed in my area. I can barely find anything for 1.15 a lb or under.
Were you able to get good deals on meats when you feed raw? I would think it would be comparable in price as raw.
Sophia: CGC, OAJ, 05.05.06
Strummer: CGC, OA, AXJ  02.20.08

rmkoruga

• Socialized
  • Rachel-owned by Leroy Brown 6/21/03
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 12:13:39 PM »
I am in the exact same boat! I also feed TOTW and it is getting way to expensive for me I go through a 40# bag every 2 1/2 to 3 weeks  :dizzy2: So I have also been looking into some home cooking and mixing it with the kibble to hopefully reduce some cost.  I was actually just going to bring this subject up.
Claire I did see your recipe but I do not have a pressure cooker  :( 
Also I was wondering if we are still mixing in kibble do we need to add meat to the food we cook to mix in? or is there enough protien in the kibble alone?
Rachel-
Leroy Brown 06/03

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 02:01:30 PM »
I posted a bunch of recipes on homecooking, they should be in the homecooking area. 

Where did you put this? I just couldn't find them and am interested to see what they are.
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

BoxerPerson

• Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 05:56:50 PM »
Rachel, check your Goodwill or other 2nd hand stores...that is where I found 2 of mine.  If you cannot find one, you could use ground meat or chunk up some meat like a roast of something.  It will make a smaller amount but still enuff for a week or so.

Kerry it is in the homecooking section of this forum.

olivebox

• Just Whelped
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 09:41:02 PM »
It really depends on where you live and can shop. I'm in NYC, Olive only eats homecooked, and it is definitely more expensive. I rarely find good prices on meat on here, and when I do, I don't have the capacity to store a good quantity.   And, she eats a lot!

I also add supplements, which add up.  If you are mixing with kibble, you could probably skip supplements.

I know a pressure cooker was mentioned, I don't have one and cook anyway. I  use ground meat, and add a few veggies, and some grain which I cook separately. Or, I poach chicken and other meats, sometimes liver or heart, with a bit of vegetables, run it though the food processor and then add the grain. If you do cook like this, you will have to add calcium, as there are no bones.

You might be able to stretch the kibble a bit by adding things when you find them at a good price.  Eggs, cottage cheese (if you dog can handle dairy), or canned mackeral, salmon or sardines.  But, if you making a topper to mix with their food daily, I think you would need some meat. 

Sorry, I can ramble about this, I researched endlessly because I was so nervous when I switched to homecooking.

BoxerPerson

• Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 08:32:12 AM »
Egg shells and sardines could assist with the missing calcium.  One reason I like Pressure c
Cooking is you get the best of the best with the collagen and calcium form the bones... but there are risks if you are not careful.