Author Topic: How much would you pay?  (Read 4794 times)

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • "No Pressure, no diamonds"-Mary Case
    • Getting Evan
Re: How much would you pay?
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2011, 08:28:26 AM »
I think you will bE pleasantly surprised. Peanut still has a lot of her bad habits but she tones down when she is near Evan.
Mom to:
Beasley (flashy fawn male) born 11/15/2005
Peanut (classic brindle female) born 2/15/2009
Evan (two legged brunette male) born 4/20/2011

odeya

• Best Avatar & Best Show-Off Photos - 2008; Most Optimistic Member - 2009
  • Socialized
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2011, 09:12:02 AM »
Something I did with my dogs before we brought Hannah home (almost 12 years ago :o) was to start gating them in a room by themselves for a few hours at a time to get used to the separation before she came home. We still do that and it's a sanity saver for me. There are many times throughout the day that I just don't need two additional bodies under my feet and since I can't crate or gate the kids away it has to be the dogs, lol.

We also decided shortly after she was born that dogs wouldn't be allowed on the furniture anymore. If I had known I wouldn't want them on the furniture/bed after she was born I would have worked on that before she arrived too. Our kids all ended up sleeping with us for a year or two after they were born/adopted. I didn't want dogs in the bed when our bio kids were small infants and our adopted kids were not used to dogs at all and would have been terrified to have a dog in their bed, lol.

I've heard many people say that their dogs are calmer and more gentle around kids but honestly, of all the dog/kid combos we've had over the years that's never held true for us. They have all loved or tolerated kids (except Jack who was growling and snapping at Oliver for a while - never anymore) but they jump on them, run over them, flatten them, practically drown them with licking....the list goes on and on :laugh4:. That's why I like being able to gate them away to give everyone a break. Both of my dogs now, though crate-trained, are very stressed in the crate, but don't mind being gated in another room at all.

Should I spend more time training the dogs...yes, probably, but 99% of my energy goes into training kids, I don't have a lot left over for dogs at this time. Everybody co-exists well at this point and that's good enough for me :).
Jack & Freya

Patti

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2011, 09:59:47 AM »
Otis was always pretty mellow but he was naturally gentle around Leo when he was an infant...now it's a different story since Leo's walking (running). Otis bumps him a lot and causes Leo to lose his balance, we've had a few bloody lips and bonks on the head from that.

When he's too excited around Leo we treat him like a puppy and give him a time out and allow him to come back once he's calm. If he starts acting up again we do the time out routine over again until he calms down. This erally only happens when people come over. When it's just us (boring) Otis is fine.

Also, no offense to anyone but I really don't buy into the getting a baby doll thing...dogs aren't stupid. They'll know the difference between the two and react to each differently. Otis has a doll our friend's daughter gave him that he plays with and tosses in the air...not something he has ever tried to do with Leo or any other baby. I would save the money on that, but that's just me.
Patti & Otis (8/18/2006)

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2011, 10:12:22 AM »
You can start working on some of the things now . If he jumps up at the door then be sure to leash him and step on the leash so he can NOT jump up .If he tries to jump up on you , then you could lift your leg kee so that he hits the leg and does not actually get to jump on your body ( I know many do not like or use this anymore )
 If he gets pawsy give him a command to stop , pick a word that you want and teach him that one word means stop .
I find that sounds EEHHH works much better then NO .

If you are getting nervous remember that he may be picking up on that as well .
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

odeya

• Best Avatar & Best Show-Off Photos - 2008; Most Optimistic Member - 2009
  • Socialized
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2011, 10:13:30 AM »
Also, no offense to anyone but I really don't buy into the getting a baby doll thing...dogs aren't stupid. They'll know the difference between the two and react to each differently. Otis has a doll our friend's daughter gave him that he plays with and tosses in the air...not something he has ever tried to do with Leo or any other baby. I would save the money on that, but that's just me.

I was thinking the same thing  :).

I have had a couple dogs use my girls' dolls as chew toys (we still have a footless Lee Middleton doll around here somewhere, lol) but they have never tried the same with our kids. I think back when we were waiting for Hannah I read a book advising against a doll for training in preparation for a baby because the dog might mistake the baby for the doll - I didn't agree with that either because dogs definitely know the difference :).  
Jack & Freya

whitepupzoe

• Most Supportive & Friendliest Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2011, 10:30:53 AM »
Thanks everyone for the advice, I really appreciate it!

I haven't shown him the doll yet, but I'm thinking just from the plasticy smell of it, he's gonna think it's a new toy just for him.  :laugh4: 

We have brought the stroller out and carseat and let them get used to that so they aren't freaked out by it.  I know he's not gonna be perfect around the baby and we won't be leaving them alone together, so I'm sure it will all work out fine.  We still have 3 months to work with him on his issues.

Kerry - we do actually have a partition that blocks the living room from the kitchen, so that's a great idea about keeping them separate for little bits of time to give everyone a break. I planned on doing that when my mom is watching the baby, she can be in the living room and the dogs can be in the kitchen and downstairs den. That way she doesn't have to worry about them.
Kristin ~ Mom to Abby & George

Always In My Heart ~ Angels Zoe & Ariel

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • "No Pressure, no diamonds"-Mary Case
    • Getting Evan
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2011, 11:36:16 AM »
I did use old clothes from my nephew on the doll to make it q bit more real. And I do gate them off when they get too rowdy.  In fact we have a gate in the doorway to our bedroom which swings open which makes it a l
Mom to:
Beasley (flashy fawn male) born 11/15/2005
Peanut (classic brindle female) born 2/15/2009
Evan (two legged brunette male) born 4/20/2011

Missy/Precious mom

• Most Encouraging Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2011, 12:39:45 PM »
Missy who is the wild child is really good around Jack except she does try to lick him to death.  Other than that she is very gentle.  She has been known to knock him over when she flies by though.
Joyce

Hanna Banana

• Best Topics & Most Thought-Provoking Posts - 2008
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2011, 06:59:51 PM »
do you walk him daily?   Or just open the slider and just let him out.  If he has so much energy he needs a release for that energy. 

Each night I spend 2 hours playing or taking the dogs for a walk.   We also do mind games at home.   This tires them out completely and I never really have issues with energy.   

The jumping stuff is simple and if you google techniques on how to stop and follow thru with your training you will save a boat load of money spent on a trainer trying to teach you the basics.   Use the crate not for just when you are gone.   The crates are my best friend and always calms my crew down. 
Heather  - Mom to Hanna Banana & Kash

whitepupzoe

• Most Supportive & Friendliest Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2011, 08:32:55 PM »
Well being 7 months pregnant and it being over 90 deg for most of the last month (100s this week) he doesn't get alot of walks these days.  ;) 
Kristin ~ Mom to Abby & George

Always In My Heart ~ Angels Zoe & Ariel

Eilene

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2011, 10:39:05 AM »
Did you decide to use a trainer..
Eilene
Nala, Luna
Forever in my heart Amber,Bailey,Chicklet,Tequila

TyTyB

• Vet Checked
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2011, 02:39:21 PM »
Tyson has the same energy/young pup issues George does.  For the most part, for us, he is excited initially when we come home and then we take him out for his run and such and he'll settle and play a little.  But if its a stranger, it's Katie bar the door!  He wants to love them to death!  I would imagine I would be nervous bringing home baby to that too, even though I would think he would realize it was a baby...most animals do realize when other "young" animals are around and make behavior concessions.  I've seen it all my life growing up on the farm...normally hyper or grumpy adult animals are patient and gentle with the babies.  Also I saw it with Bob when we brought Tyson home...he was never a people dog and was sometimes a bit gruff with other animals but he was very gentle and protective with Tyson and still is.  That being said, I don't blame you wanting to take some extra precautions!  One of our friends just had her baby and while she's still in the hospital, her husband is taking some of the blankets that the baby has used home and letting the dogs smell them and get used to that scent before they bring baby home. 

As for this Lifetime and One Year guarantee, what does that mean???  How can they guarantee your dog will always behave???  Talk about promising ocean front property in Arizona!  Do they come back and retrain for free or something????
-Sheree
Owned by Tyson