Author Topic: How much would you pay?  (Read 4795 times)

whitepupzoe

• Most Supportive & Friendliest Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
How much would you pay?
« on: July 21, 2011, 02:41:41 PM »
We were considering having a trainer come to our home to help train George before the new baby comes in the fall. So I called Bark Busters just to see what they charged....and I almost fell out of my seat!  They charge $300.00 for a one time session $150.00 for an additional dog. The session lasts 2- 3 hours.  :o  Is it just me or is that outrageously expensive!?

I have a call in to one other local trainer that we used for Zoe's classes and also that helped with Abby's houstraining, so maybe she will be less!

I asked George afterwards if he was $300.00 worth of badness and he said that he was.  :laugh4:
Kristin ~ Mom to Abby & George

Always In My Heart ~ Angels Zoe & Ariel

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
Re: How much would you pay?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 02:59:07 PM »
I would do it for a lot less...but I need traveling expenses ;)
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

WildBeanerz

• Canine Good Citizen
  • Macie
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 03:01:41 PM »
I would hesitate to pay that much for a single session. But that is just me. I can't think that all of the things Chloe does could be fixed in 2-3 hrs and she wouldn't need more sessions....or that I would know what to do for her in that amount of time either.

April - mom of
Bones RIP big guy 11.04.10 :angel:
Macie 8 yrs brindle female
Chloe 11.19.09 fawn female
Love my rescue

whitepupzoe

• Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 03:06:08 PM »
Well for the bargain price of $875 you get a Lifetime Guarantee, $725 for the One Year Guarantee.  :wreck:

I think we will just need to get off our lazy butts and try to train him ourselves. Either that or submit a video to It's Me or The Dog and pray that Victoria Stillwell sees it!  :laugh4:

Missy/Precious mom

• Most Encouraging Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 03:16:37 PM »
When Missy & Precious started fighting and hating each other, I looked into a behavioralist and it was $250 for one session and you took them to her, she didn't come to you.  I knew that would be a waste of money because they could be fine in a different enviornment, it was at home and around food
Joyce

Eilene

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 03:17:52 PM »
I am also thinking about a trainer...He charges 150 for 90 mins and includes both dogs...He coames to the house...
Eilene
Nala, Luna
Forever in my heart Amber,Bailey,Chicklet,Tequila

whitepupzoe

• Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 03:20:10 PM »
I am also thinking about a trainer...He charges 150 for 90 mins and includes both dogs...He coames to the house...

Now that I would consider. That doesn't sound like a bad price at all.

Christina

• Socialized
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 03:59:30 PM »
I think I paid that for like 8 weeks of 2 hour sessions, 1 on 1 with a trainer and Star for obedience. He does obey, when he wants to :smash: there has to be something cheaper... He may be like Star, obnoxious with adults, but a complete doll and :angel: with kids
Christina
Little Ann 2/14/96-4/6/10
Boomer 1996- 4/25/14
Lucky 4/24/04-8/27/14

Patti

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 09:32:27 PM »
Um yeah that seems a little steep, unless they are magic or something. Do you have any training facilities in your area? They might know someone who will come to you? We paid $40/hour for Otis' sessions when he was a pup.
Patti & Otis (8/18/2006)

Sophia Sadeyes

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 10:40:59 PM »
Seems steep for just training. I know a behaviorlist may change that but that's different.
Also, 1 session prob will not do a whole lot unless it's reinforced.

Any other options for trainers??
Sophia: CGC, OAJ, 05.05.06
Strummer: CGC, OA, AXJ  02.20.08

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 07:03:52 AM »
I'd fully expect that sort of cost for a Veterinary Behavioralist... but not just a trainer.  Unless he's got some real issues, I suspect you guys just buckling down and doing some manners training with consistency would be enough.  What you really need is from him to listen to you, right? So if you need him to go to his crate or be gentle or whatever else, he'll do it and you aren't "fighting" with him while trying to manage the baby?
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

odeya

• Best Avatar & Best Show-Off Photos - 2008; Most Optimistic Member - 2009
  • Socialized
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 07:35:33 AM »
We had some issues with Jack when Oliver came home and I took him to our local obedience trainer who also does one on one behavior type stuff. I cannot remember what he charged exactly but it was around $100 per hour. He's very chatty, lol, so I think I was there for more like 2 hours but he only charged me for one.

I found the experience helpful and the information he gave me correct. The issues are now resolved, Jack is still here, and Oliver is still in one piece, lol, so I think it was worth it.

What exactly is causing you to be concerned with George's behavior and the baby? I don't usually read this part of the forum so I don't know what his "bad" behavior is.

Jack & Freya

whitepupzoe

• Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 07:46:27 AM »
Just mainly his energy. He's not aggressive or anything like that and he loves children...too much, he's just...well still acts like a obnoxious pup most of the time. He's very "pawsy" and bossy when he wants something that we are holding and he tends to jump up on me and others alot when we first come in the door.  I know these are all issues we can work with at home, I just thought maybe an outside source would give me some tips on how to get him to behave around the new baby.

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • "No Pressure, no diamonds"-Mary Case
    • Getting Evan
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 07:55:53 AM »
Kristin- you might be surprised by George when you bring Baby Girl home. I thought Peanut was going to be a PITA but she is really great. The only time we have a problem is when my MIL comes over and is on the floor with Evan (my MIL isnt a fan of Peanuts which of course makes Peanut want to love her more) she gets a bit rowdy and the goes into protective mode with Beas.

I would suggest hitting up Toys R Us and getting a doll to practice with. Practice holding it, putting it in the swing, on act. mat, crib etc.  Also, when you are doing this, use Al's iPhone and to play baby noises (there are tons of babies crying/laughing etc on YouTube).  If after a few weeks George is still out of control I would call in a trainer. I only had to "practice" for about a week.
Mom to:
Beasley (flashy fawn male) born 11/15/2005
Peanut (classic brindle female) born 2/15/2009
Evan (two legged brunette male) born 4/20/2011

whitepupzoe

• Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 08:07:01 AM »
T I actually did buy a doll!  :thumbsup: I just got it this week, so that is my weekend project to start practicing with him. I'm also going to download some baby sounds like you said you did, to help get him used to it.   Maybe I am just being a nervous nelly, I don't think he would hurt the baby or anything like that, I just kinda want his bad habits gone before she comes.