Author Topic: I realize the topic says boxer puppy..  (Read 1442 times)

Mari

• Potty Trained
  • Wanna Play?
I realize the topic says boxer puppy..
« on: May 13, 2007, 12:07:56 AM »
but if need be this one can be moved...Sorry if I'm not allowed to put it here!

We now have a strong reason to believe that Kalani really was a stray on the streets... a lot of her mannerisms and actions point to it. For example, she scavenges when we are outside... particularly if she has not been fed yet. She will pick up random things and just mouth them and spit them out, we feel this is from scavenging while she was a stray. If she has been fed, she will do it less... She also has a flight reaction, we were playing with the buster food cube and if it came towards her she ran the other way quickly... And other random things that just lead us to believe she was on the streets for at least a while if not her whole life  :( This of course means she is not really potty trained at all. We have had more accidents than I'd like to have had because we have just gotten so used to Pepino letting us know and being able to take our eyes off him at least for a few min.. that is something that we can't do with her at all.

It is a very good thing that she doesn't like soiling her living area...
Gating her out of the bedroom area has helped some but we might have to make her area even smaller if we want to prevent accidents and work on this potty training even more.... we are looking for bells  :dizzy2:

Does anyone have any other suggestions as to how we can get her sorted out in this department?
Mari, Kalani and Pepino =)

Bers

• Most Underrated Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
Re: I realize the topic says boxer puppy..
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 08:11:51 AM »
I suggest you potty train her just as you would a puppy. She should have NO freedom in the house, you should be watching her at all times if she isn't crated. Prevent accidents, if she does begin to have an accident be ready with a collar and leash to get her outside quickly so you can praise and treat her. It may take awhile, old habits are hard to break, but you can housetrain her using exactly the same method as you would for a puppy.
Amber

Hulk

• Moved On
  • Moved On
  • Kiss me Hulk or I won't let you up!!
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 01:12:29 AM »
We took bell training and tweeked it a little...First always take your dog out the same door to go potty...For example if they are to potty in the backyard always go out that door...Next...Treat her like a puppy and do frequent potty breaks(every 1 1/2-2 hrs)....When it is time to potty put her paw on the door and say potty...Let them out to potty and give them their verbal commands go pee or go pooh...As soon as they do reward, reward and more reward...We did both treats and clapping, praising, hugging...This makes them very happy to know they pleased you...Soon as potty time is over it is time to go inside...That way they know that potty time and play time are seperate...When they learn the two can be interchangeable but for now they need to know that potty is the work they have to do to get the reward. Good luck!
Our days our long we eat, sleep, wrestle, sleep and do all over.
Hulk and Storm

*Jen*

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 05:14:14 PM »
I just used to take tonto outside where hes supposed to go after play, sleep & after eating & everytime he went there he got a treat & was made a big fuss off, any accidents inside where just ignored, hope this helps!! 

Miguel

• Funniest Member - 2008
  • Socialized
  • I'll Woo Woo You!
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 08:41:59 PM »
I agree with all of you. Kalani is able to learn and I do not think it is her problem at all. I know that it is a bit tougher having Pepino around, because he is Kalani's second shadow. But, in my opinion, this is something that Kalani is capable of learning.

In my opinion this is an issue with Mari and I and not Kalani. I reduced Kalani's area to just the living room, I will follow her every move when she finds a way to leave the living room, I sit with her leash and a cleaning up bag. We use Nature's Miracle for the clean up. But I strongly feel that it is an issue with communication between Mari and I, not Kalani.

So today, Mari and I will sit down, create direct rules/directions for Kalani and hopefully implement them.  :wall:
:hat::guitarist::jester::mickey::smart: Pepino's :cheeky::sombrero::afro::hat2::gag: Rockin' :clown::toff::sunny::straitjacket::mad: Daddy :devilish::antlers::cloud9::party3::drummer:

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 09:13:49 AM »
Hope the 2 of you figure this all out and help Kalani with her problem.
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Miguel

• Funniest Member - 2008
  • Socialized
  • I'll Woo Woo You!
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 01:55:00 PM »
Hope the 2 of you figure this all out and help Kalani with her problem.

Yeah, we talked yesterday and have come up with a better conclusion. Thanks.

Yesterday I was just very annoyed.  ;)
:hat::guitarist::jester::mickey::smart: Pepino's :cheeky::sombrero::afro::hat2::gag: Rockin' :clown::toff::sunny::straitjacket::mad: Daddy :devilish::antlers::cloud9::party3::drummer: