Author Topic: Xena in Open A - No Q but still good news!  (Read 1658 times)

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Xena in Open A - No Q but still good news!
« on: June 12, 2011, 10:09:18 PM »
Xena and I had a GREAT first weekend out in Open A!  No Q's, but this was my "figure out what we need to work on" weekend, and it did what it was supposed to do.  :thumbsup:  I actually think she would have Q'd today if I hadn't flubbed one key bit of handling.

On Saturday, Xena did every single "new" exercise in the ring to near perfection! I checked the judge's score sheet and he'd only taken off 3.5 points total for Drop on Recall, both Retrieves, and the Broad Jump. (And this from a guy everyone told me had a 'sharp pencil')  I was over the moon! Heeling, not so much, as she's discovered that heeling is boring when there are so many other cool things she could be doing.  She also found one steward absolutely riveting -- the steward later told me that a bunch of dogs had the same issue (to a lesser degree), not sure why.

http://youtu.be/v3An61oRE1U

After looking at the video, I decided one 3 handling changes I wanted to make for today:  Sharpen up my heeling handling/footwork, not wave the DB in her face (not a good habit, even though it didn't hurt us) and remember to use a VERBAL on her finish right after the Broad Jump, because that's what we'd been doing all week.  Oh, technically 4 handling changes because I also needed to not anticipate the judge's last halt  ;D

http://youtu.be/1br21AkyX0w

Today, I hit all three handling goals but discovered a new one - control my drop signal when I'm nervous. You can see Xena starts to lean back then thinks "did I really see a signal?".. and comes in instead.

Now we've got 1 1/2 months until the next trial, I'll be working on heeling and figure eight games, as well as consistency w/my drop signal and right finish verbal.  :thumbsup:
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
Re: Xena in Open A - No Q but still good news!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 08:44:05 AM »
Sorry you did not Q . But like you said you figured out what you need to work on and that was your goal . I think you guys did great for your first time in open .
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 09:00:22 AM »
Good job! :thumbsup:
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

Sophia Sadeyes

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 09:32:57 AM »
nice job! I give props to the obedience folks. We have done a little work at it and my guys found it interesting for about 2 minutes.
You guys have come a long way! :thumbsup:
Sophia: CGC, OAJ, 05.05.06
Strummer: CGC, OA, AXJ  02.20.08

Missy/Precious mom

• Most Encouraging Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 09:48:11 AM »
 :thumbsup:
Joyce

BranwenBoxers

• Canine Good Citizen
  • " Branwen's Eastern Sea " Millie
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 01:19:15 PM »
 :thumbsup:
Heather
Branwen Boxers
www.BranwenBoxers.com