Author Topic: Puppy questionair- Breeders come hither  (Read 2612 times)

boxerpup

• Just Whelped
Puppy questionair- Breeders come hither
« on: June 02, 2011, 11:42:04 AM »
So I'm starting the hunt to find a boxer puppy, and looking around a websites, breeder listings and stuff like that. One of the things that I have been seeing on *most* reputable websites is a puppy questionair/ please email contact. Which I love to see because I know they are screening  :thumbsup:

One of the things that I would like to ask everyone here pertains to my situation. I'm 24yo college grad with a FT very steady reliable job. I'm living at home for now saving money to buy my own place (next year hopefully), I have discussed it with my parents and they are excited about my puppy endeavor  :thumbsup: YAY!!! We have a farm, which sits in the middle of nowhere 1.5 miles from main road, no close neighbors. Which therefore means we have no fencing around our house (except for the electric fencing for the cattle).

My mom stays at home, dad works full time then farms in the evenings, and I work a compressed, flexible schedule, so the puppy would be under full supervision at all times. We have two other dogs, who are free to come in the house/ go outside as they please, who are trained and NEVER have an issue running off (mostly inside dogs). Would you prefer a full write up on what my situation currently entails?

I'm a little shy to ask this but... in preparation for getting my first personal puppy, I was wondering if people would be willing to share the average purchase prices, for a pet puppy (I'd possibly be looking into obedience/agility nothing major leagues though ;D). I have a figure in my head, but I don't want to be completely off base when I start contacting breeders  :confused:

Thanks so much for taking time to read this... I'm pretty nervous/excited about my search, and am willing to share any thing else   :yes:

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
Re: Puppy questionair- Breeders come hither
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 12:03:40 PM »
I would fill out the questionaire and write a bit about yourself explaining your lifestyle and situation .
Please be aware that many breeders will not place a puppy in a home without a fence . Boxers in general love to run ( and not come back when called ) .So do not be offended if having no fence may be a deal breaker for some breeders , or maybe you could put up a temporary fence while you are still living there .

Not sure where you are located but here in Md a puppy from health tested parents is about $1000 , conformation prospects may be more .
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 01:04:21 PM »
I would explain your situation in detail when filling out a questionaire.

With regard to average purchase price - a lot depends on where you look as prices vary in different parts of the country. I would say anything from $500 (I have a friend in OK who charges about this for her pets and says that in her area you can't charge anymore) and up.  Prices on both coasts seem to a LOT higher than in the central part of the county.
Something else you might want to consider - some breeders sell their white puppies on a spay/neuter deposit only - so you pay $100 or $200 or something like this and then get your money back when the dog is neutered/spayed.
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • "No Pressure, no diamonds"-Mary Case
    • Getting Evan
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 01:09:03 PM »
Ditto the others. I know here in the NY metro area pet pup prices are quite a bit hire then in the middle of tue country. I ALSO know that some breeders MAY be willing to work with you on the cost IF they think your a perfect fit for one of their pups
Mom to:
Beasley (flashy fawn male) born 11/15/2005
Peanut (classic brindle female) born 2/15/2009
Evan (two legged brunette male) born 4/20/2011

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 01:55:13 PM »
You could also check out boxer rescues...just sayin' ;)
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

boxerpup

• Just Whelped
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 02:54:04 PM »
I actually have looked into some rescues... but they tend to be quite a bit more strict on the fenced yard scenario, which is completely understandable.  :yes: We also have 2 other dogs, 4 cats (indoor/outdoor) chickens, cattle, and a couple fair pigs  :yes: So that is hard to find a rescue who is willing to let all that fly, lol.

I have been trying to update my profile but it doesn't like me trying to do it from work  ??? So just FYI for the people who haven't seen my introduction, I'm from Missouri about 45 min west of StL. I am for sure willing to travel for the right puppy  :) As far as the price quotes, they are pretty much in line with what I was thinking.

I'm also glad to hear that some of you think that breeders may be willing to judge on an individual basis as far as the fencing issues go. Just the way we live it doesn't make allot of sense to double fence our house (for cattle and dogs) as out front yard is almost an acre.  When we got our beagle cross she was trained on lease until she knew the "boundaries" of the yard. The dogs are very rarely outside with out us as we are a very outdoor active family.  I am willing to do temporary fencing as well until a puppy would get used to what area is theirs. Also wanted to note that a fence will be put up when I purchase a house in the future.  :)

Thanks so much for all the replies, I'm one that researches, dot's all i's and crosses all t's until I'm completely comfortable with my decisions  :blush:

Missy/Precious mom

• Most Encouraging Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 03:10:32 PM »
Good luck in finding your perfect boxer pup.  You must live very close to me.  I am in South St. Louis City.
Joyce