Author Topic: Help!! He pees in the kennel!  (Read 2531 times)

Tykes_mommy

• Fully Weaned
Help!! He pees in the kennel!
« on: May 11, 2007, 05:49:35 PM »
So we've had Tyke about a year and a half now (he's 5) and have NEVER had this problem.  He stays in the kennel when we go to work (usually less than 8 hrs/day and about 1/2 of the time I come home for lunch and let him out to potty) and when we go out at night. We had been keeping his kennel in our kitchen since we got him. About 6 weeks ago I noticed a small, dried puddle of pee right outside the gate of his kennel (it's plastic with a little gate on one end and slats on the side). He hadn't been home alone and I knew he hadn't done it since we'd been home and it was really odd to me.

So a couple of weeks later when it started to get hot we moved his kennel to the basement where it's cooler. There was a big stain left of the lanolium where the kennel had been but we didn't really think much of it. We definitely didn't think it was pee. We put a new piece of carpet in the kennel and didn't notice anything strange about the piece we took out and threw away.

Anyways, a couple of days ago my hubby, who is the nose of the family smelled pee down there. He lifted up the front of the kennel and underneath was soaked with pee. Luckily it was on concrete but still, HUGE puddle. He cleaned it with vinegar and took the kennel out to spray it off and when he pulled the carpet out it was soaked with pee.

Quick sidenote: before we got him his previous owners said he had a habit of peeing through the side of the kennel when they left him home alone in it. They had him in a wire kennel so it was easy for him to get all of it out of the kennel and not on any of his stuff.  We thought we had remedied this problem by putting him in a plastic kennel which is impossible to pee out of. Also sidenote: He had been in a kennel during the day from about 1-4 and for they year before we got him he was with the wife during the day because she stayed home with her baby.

I am baffled. We have had him for over a year with NO accidents in the kennel. I was thinking maybe he was just doing it since we moved his kennel to the basement but I know the dried puddle in the kitchen was pee and I suspect the stain from the kennel was pee as well but we never noticed a smell in there! I'm worried that maybe he's having some bladder problems and needs to go to the vet. Any ideas/suggestions??? Sorry so long!

Patti

• Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Help!! He pees in the kennel!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 05:55:35 PM »
Have you had him checked for a UTI?
Patti & Otis (8/18/2006)

Tykes_mommy

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 06:02:04 PM »
No, what is that?

Patti

• Officially Boxer Crazy
Patti & Otis (8/18/2006)

steph0808

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 06:07:07 PM »
Urinary Tract Infection.  It is an easily diagnosed and treated infection.  All you need to do is take a sample of urine to the vet to have them examine it.  Hopefully that is all it is.  Weird peeing problems and peeing in the house when they don't usually is a common sign of a UTI.
Riley - 9/19/2008

Tykes_mommy

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 06:09:24 PM »
Oh I hope that's what it is! Any suggestions on how to get the pee??

PoseidonsMom

• Socialized
  • The eyes are the window to the soul
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 06:12:28 PM »
Oh I hope that's what it is! Any suggestions on how to get the pee??

Follow him around with a container and time it right LOL. Try to get the first pee of the morning if you can, since it's more concentrated.

Patti

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 06:13:36 PM »
Did he ever have water in his crate? I know that when Otis drinks water in his crate it gets everywhere & will stain the bottom of his bed. Linolium is pretty porous, we have a throw rug on our lino in the dining room that has a huge yellow stain under it (from the carpet).
Maybe he is experiencing some anxiety from moving the crate? Is the basement a spot where he wouldn't normally be if you were home?
Patti & Otis (8/18/2006)

Tykes_mommy

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 06:18:50 PM »
Did he ever have water in his crate? I know that when Otis drinks water in his crate it gets everywhere & will stain the bottom of his bed. Linolium is pretty porous, we have a throw rug on our lino in the dining room that has a huge yellow stain under it (from the carpet).
Maybe he is experiencing some anxiety from moving the crate? Is the basement a spot where he wouldn't normally be if you were home?

He is in the basement occasionally but not when both of us aren't down there.

Also, the stain under the crate may have been just from me not cleaning underneath it for a while. It wasn't like a pee stain, more like just dirt but it would NOT come out not matter how much I scrubbed but I know the dried puddle in front of the kennel before we moved it to the basement was pee.

Also, the only vet I've ever tried is Banfield. I called and it's $33 for an office visit and $120 for urine testing. Is that expensive? I've only taken him there once before for an eye infection and got some eye medicine. I'm so lost when it comes to vets!

Tykes_mommy

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 06:19:38 PM »
Also, no he never has had water in his crate. Just a piece of carpet, and occasionally bones and toys.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 06:23:08 PM by Tykes_mommy »

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 06:21:47 PM »
If you can't get the sample, a vet could...I too would suspect a UTI.
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

~CLOWN~

• Socialized
  • ~Miss Molly Brown~
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2007, 10:54:42 PM »
I pay $23 for a urinalysis- that figure you got is outrageous! I would call around!
Kathy & Molly Brown 5/16/06

mysticboxers

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2007, 10:03:13 AM »
What are you feeding him?  Get his urine checked and if that comes back good then i would change his food to one with a lower ph level.

Bers

• Most Underrated Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2007, 07:20:42 PM »
I agree you should rule out a urinary tract infection. $130 for a urinalysis is ridiculous. You need to find a decent local vet and forget about those bozos at Banfield. Call around to vets in your area and ask them what they will charge to see your dog and do a urine check. Of course, cost isn't the only thing that matters. Ask them other questions about their vet services, go into the offices and look around, meet the office staff, ask your friends and family who they use. But whatever you do, find a good vet that you can trust NOW before you need one really bad!
Amber

Tykes_mommy

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2007, 11:39:20 AM »
Quick update: We moved his kennel back to the kitchen and have had NO problems since. My hubby thinks maybe he felt banished or doesn't really think of the basement as part of his home because we really don't spend a lot of time down there. Other than laundry we've got our computer, piano and tv down there and don't spend a whole lot of time on any of those things. Come to think of it, if I feel like watching tv on the big tv upstairs and hubby has a basketball game to watch he is "banished" to the basement. Maybe that's where he got the idea. LOL!

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely look into finding a vet for future uses.