Author Topic: Getting out of the crate  (Read 1814 times)

jbissonnette

• Just Whelped
Getting out of the crate
« on: April 26, 2011, 04:04:01 PM »
Our brindle male Diesel is 18 months now and is doing GREAT! He is such a great dog and is so protective of our 2 y/o son. Problem: we HATE locking him in his crate when we leave, at night and sometimes most of the day! When we are home, even all day, he is find, no accidents in the house. However, if we leave and don't crate him, he will mess in the house. Has anyone had the same problem? How can we fix this?!

TyTyB

• Vet Checked
Re: Getting out of the crate
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 04:13:37 PM »
With Tyson, we just started out slow.  We would leave him for an hour, then when he could handle that, two hours, etc until now, he can go for about 5 hours uncrated without incident.  We still haven't worked up to all day yet, but I'm guessing he could do it. 
-Sheree
Owned by Tyson

Missy/Precious mom

• Most Encouraging Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 04:17:25 PM »
Precious is fine with the run of the house at home but when I take her to Charlie's house we have to crate her if we leave or she will potty.  There is also a lot of slobber on the floor so I am thinking it is due to seperation anxiety and nervousness.  She is fine at home, she is comfortable there. 

I would try leaving him out for short periods and rewarding him for being a good boy when you come back if there are no messes.  Gradually increase the time he is out by himself.  Hope that works for you.
Joyce

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 04:55:24 PM »
Does he only pee in the house or does he poop too? 
Do you give him full run of the house or is he limited to only a portion of the house?
Are you careful to let him out right before you go to sleep or right before you leave -- and watch to make sure he actually goes while he's out?

My advice varies a little depending on your answer to those questions.

The easy answer for why he manages when you are home - you are home, lol.  You can read his signals and take him out whenever he needs to.  When you aren't home, he's got no one to read his signals and just holding it all day hasn't become generalized for him.  Similarly, if you are asleep, there is no one seeing his signals so he goes when he isn't let out in time.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12