Author Topic: Bug Off Garlic  (Read 7072 times)

Boxermom,K

• Canine Good Citizen
Bug Off Garlic
« on: April 12, 2011, 10:15:11 AM »
Ok, I know this has been a topic once before (maybe even more than that ;)) but what I need to know is does this stuff really work well on preventing ticks? We have never had a flea problem out here- except for the time one of my dogs actually crawled into a fox den and after a little tussle actually came out literally covered with fleas, it was just beyond freak out disgusting!- anyway we don't have much for mosquitos. What we do have is a lot of ticks that hang out in the tall grass. I have used the Zodiac topical for years and it works great! However Viktor is allergic to pretty much all of the topicals and the natural rosemary sprays and lemon sprays make him itch something terrible. So we have fought ticks with him and with all the hair he's got it's a pain in the butt. So for those of you in areas of ticks, how well does it work?

Bubba 12/30/00 - 10/29/07
Kristi
Mom to Laila CGC- 9 year old fawn, Viktor CGC, TDI- 7 year old heeler mix

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
Re: Bug Off Garlic
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 10:32:02 AM »
I've used it for 3 years and have never had a flea or a tick. We have woods behind our backyard and have seen them around the house, but never on the dogs. I did find one in the house, but I think it came in on their paws and fell off as it was right by the back door. I say it's worth it.
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • "No Pressure, no diamonds"-Mary Case
    • Getting Evan
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 01:01:24 PM »
I have a HUGE tick problem here and I have to use the strong stuff (Frontline etc) because even with that, we find ticks on the dogs (usually dead but still they've been bitten). We also have a nightly routine of inspecting the dogs.

Sorry that I couldn't be more help. Have you considered shaving Vik for the summer?
Mom to:
Beasley (flashy fawn male) born 11/15/2005
Peanut (classic brindle female) born 2/15/2009
Evan (two legged brunette male) born 4/20/2011

Sir Duke

• Potty Trained
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 01:04:46 PM »
We have had some pretty nasty tick seasons and I just didn't think it worked well enough. So I went back to using the "toxic stuff"  I hate to, but I hate ticks worse.  They totally gross me out..

I also am not giving the lyme vaccine. Duke has had a reaction to it both times. So I really want to make sure they are protected.  I also do a nightly tick check, the dogs sleep in our bed so this is a MUST!

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • "No Pressure, no diamonds"-Mary Case
    • Getting Evan
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 01:16:31 PM »
My vet actually said that the Lyme vaccine can actually mask some of the symptoms of Lyme, and doesn't recommend it
Mom to:
Beasley (flashy fawn male) born 11/15/2005
Peanut (classic brindle female) born 2/15/2009
Evan (two legged brunette male) born 4/20/2011

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 03:07:02 PM »
I use garlig powder, just that.  I haven't had a flea or tick issue.  we go camping quite often too to areas that there are ticks about and I still haven't seen any...
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Boxermom,K

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 04:23:37 PM »
Have you considered shaving Vik for the summer?

I did that last year, not super short but short enough that I could search through his fur- he sunburns.  :confused:  I might try the bug off stuff, maybe it will help. If it doesn't work real well perhaps I'll have to keep trying to find a topical that I can use on him. I like to keep things natural as possible but things like the topical flea and tick stuff I'm kinda old school on. I use topical on my cats too. Vik is the first dog I've ever had that has an actual problem with it. Thankfully our tick season is usually fairly short- this is terribly early for ticks here, it's going to be a wet spring.

My vet actually said that the Lyme vaccine can actually mask some of the symptoms of Lyme, and doesn't recommend it

I've heard that as well.

Kristi

Christina

• Socialized
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 06:33:14 PM »
I have to shave Penelope in the summer. She has entirely too much hair, and she is a tick magnet :wall: I have switched to vectra, it seems to be the most effective against fleas and ticks. The ticks are horrible here already this year. I have already found them on me and the dogs :eek:.   As far as the lyme vaccine goes, immunity from it is short lived at best, and reactions are high. I wouldn't use it, better to prevent the ticks imo
Christina
Little Ann 2/14/96-4/6/10
Boomer 1996- 4/25/14
Lucky 4/24/04-8/27/14

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 06:58:00 AM »
I've been using Bug Off and have only seen maybe two-three ticks on the dogs since we moved to the house four years ago.  And at least one of those ticks was early spring, when I hadn't started giving them the garlic yet. We've heard a bunch of people all around us complain that their dogs are getting covered, even getting them when they use topicals.  So we are either really lucky, their dogs go to more infested areas than ours, or it works.  Our dogs don't go into long grass all that frequently, but even when we've bushwhacked around the local creek, they've come home clean.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

WildBeanerz

• Canine Good Citizen
  • Macie
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 09:01:05 AM »
I need to know more about this topic. I always try not to use chemicals on the dogs. Macie had a huge reaction to a topical combined with an antibiotic when we first got her. Could have been the combo of the two but I have never put it on her again. But in the four years I have had dogs (2-1/2 yrs in this house) I have never seen a tick.....until last night! :eek: Chloe had one on the back of her neck just below her collar. We got it removed and I am putting triple antibiotic on the site. So does it have to be Bug Off that you buy online or does simple garlic powder work too?

April - mom of
Bones RIP big guy 11.04.10 :angel:
Macie 8 yrs brindle female
Chloe 11.19.09 fawn female
Love my rescue

Bumpy

• Forum Wise Alec - 2008
  • Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 07:21:25 AM »
HUGE tick problem here. We use only bug off Garlic. We find ticks on them daily but rarely is one attached. Never so long as to be engorged. I just can't put that chemical on them. We use the powder on their meals.
  Shelly CGC 7.13.06 Keanu 5.16.07

aquagirl900

• Socialized
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 08:41:21 AM »
I have been a big advocate for bug off garlic up until now.  This year, I don't know what's going on, but I've had to double the dose of the garlic and they are STILL covered in fleas YUCK!  We are going to go back to the toxic crap because the dogs are miserable scratching all the time.  Any ideas on why the bug off stopped working??

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 04:12:39 PM »
Don't use chemicals at all on mine except for the damn rabies shot. I give garlic and now I give also give flea free which helps repel mosquitoes so I hopefully do not have to give ivermectin....but IF i do I do that on a minimal and limited basis.
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Boxermom,K

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2011, 11:26:10 AM »
The garlic seems to have worked this summer. No ticks, no fleas.

Kristi

whitepupzoe

• Most Supportive & Friendliest Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 12:28:38 PM »
I know this is an old topic...LOL

I bought the Bug Off Garlic and was just wondering if anyone else's dogs got horrible gas from it?  Holy crap...they smell like they are farting meatballs!  :laugh4:  Wondering if it will go away once it gets in their system?
Kristin ~ Mom to Abby & George

Always In My Heart ~ Angels Zoe & Ariel