Author Topic: We're approved to rescue a Boxer, but confused about the procedure  (Read 1075 times)

AnnF

• Fully Weaned
What information is given if you visit the foster home?  Are they the ones that will access the interaction with your current Boxer as far as temperament goes?

Our two year old has never played with another Boxer, been in daycare, or spent time at a dog run.  He loved the female Airedale who used to live nextdoor, but she didn't drink his water, or eat a cookie until he allowed it to happen.  No aggression, but body slams.

The site shows older females, spunky that get along with other dogs.  One is a retired show bitch.  They are over 7, and might get upset with Gus' warrier behavior.  He's Euro bred, high drives.  Then there is a two year old that just had a litter, opens drawers with her tongue, but is not "quite" housebroken.

I really need to know if the information a rescue gives is factual, and if a foster family can really access interaction between dogs.  I know there are no guarantees, but we are up there in years.  A rescue cannot be an experiment where if things don't work they are returned.

Any advise, sorry to ramble.

Ann

What would you do if I sang out of tune?
Gustav (Gus) 8/1/08
Ann

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: We're approved to rescue a Boxer, but confused about the procedure
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 09:37:42 PM »
One thing I've noticed in your posts - Gus is a "rude" dog.  This doesn't mean he's bad or nasty, but his behavior with other dogs is very rude. In Gus's case, it is not surprising since he hasn't had a lot of socialization, Dash is the same. So I think you would need a very submissive/permissive female who will put up with most of his antics - although even a permissive female might tell him off if he's being really obnoxious. That's essentially the setup in my house, Xena lets Dash get away with almost anything, although she did snap at him a bit when he first came home and was going TOO far.

Foster homes gain nothing by lying - they want to find their dogs a permanent home and that will only happen with an honest match. However most of the temperament information is subjective, not "facts".  Age, sex, weight are facts, but "good with dogs" is an educated assessment of the dog.  Some rescue matches don't work out and the dogs do return to rescue - if you aren't willing to face that possibility, rescue may not be the right choice.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

BBandIDAsMOM

• Fully Weaned
  • Ida a.k.a. "Tater-Mae"
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 10:34:21 PM »
First....Congratulations on being approved!
Second...I applaud your decision to take in a rescue  :smitten:
Though I will be amiss if I do not say...in many cases,
rescue is not for the weary or the faint at heart.
Every dog I have had in the past 15+ years have been rescues.
They have all had their different challenges.
I wasn't as lucky to have mine go through the adoption process
to match the "right" fit or even have an introduction.
All of my rescues came from an immediate need  (running loose, neglect and starvation).
Sometimes the group I have get along, sometimes there have been personalities that never truly could be trusted together.
I personally have always "made it work" by being very diligent in whatever "it" took to "make" it work.
All legit rescues are working for the goal of saving a soul worth saving.
You can only accomplish that by making a good match.
My best recommendations would be:
Write a list of your concerns and questions you have.
Talk to your potential foster parents and voice these questions and concerns.
Have a visit with the rescue one on one.
If that goes well, let Gus and the new rescue visit in a neutral territory.
Watch body language......
If Gus isn't happy neither you or your potential "furbaby" will be either.
Follow your heart and you will either find the right edition to your family,
or you will decide that the time is not right to add to your family.
How ever your path leads you....I wish you the best!

~Diane~
   ~*~
Tater rescued 11/ 03
Bella rescued 9/29/09
B.B. 4ever in my heart 12/23/97-7/21/07

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 07:01:08 AM »
I also applaud you on your decision, as I like Diane, also rescue and have done so since 1984.  Mine too have come with a variety of issues that I wasn't aware of until they came to live with me since I adopt from the HS or from people that just no longer want their pup. 

As Diane mentioned, when you adopt/rescue the way we do, you make it work.  But when adopting from a reputible rescue, they WANT this to work out and will work with you to find "that perfect fit". Their purpose is to find GREAT homes for the dogs/cats that they have. If the fit isn't right it wouldn't behoove them to allow that adoption since the dog and you would not be happy.

Any dog that you consider should meet Gus...you should have a few visits with the dogs and in a place that is not common to either...possibly a dog park or a fenced area you could allow them to interact and see how they behave together. And remember, with any pup you choose, there is going to be an adjustment and honeymoon time...

Good luck in finding your new pup and friend for Gus!
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Ginger

• Fully Weaned
  • Maggie Mae and Chloe
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 09:58:44 AM »
Let me add my congrats to you for rescuing a boxer. I have two boxers from a rescue now and also have two rat terriers that came from rescue.  I also volunteer for a boxer rescue. Having said this I agree with what has already been stated by the folks above, but also want to mention that most fosters have multiple dogs, many also have cats and other animals as well as children.  If they have had the dog for a reasonable amount of time, they can provide good insight on the dogs reactions to all the above. Often, the rescue will ask you to take the dog for a few weeks before finalizing the adoption to make sure the fit is right in your family.  Any good rescue will work with you if the dog does not work out, most will ask you to surrender the dog back, and may have another that would work out.  Be sure to ask as many questions as you can about the dogs past, because if abuse or neglect were involved there will be issues to work out.  It is harder to adopt a grown dog than to go buy a puppy, but the rewards are the same in the long run, and you will be so glad you did!

Ginger 
Mom to Walker, Maggie Mae and the "Rat" pack Little Man, Chloe and Prissy Lee

Missy/Precious mom

• Most Encouraging Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 11:36:14 AM »
Congratulations and I hope you find the perfect fit right away.
Joyce

TLC Mom

• Most Involved with Boxer Rescue - 2009
  • Socialized
  • Try to get it out of my mouth, I dare ya!!
    • Almost Home Az Boxer Rescue
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 01:43:19 PM »
I agree with what everyone else as mentioned. I too volunteer for boxer rescue and I'm a foster Mom. We don't adopt out a rescue until it's been in our care for at least two weeks so we can assess their temperament with other animals and kids plus all of our rescues are in foster homes. IMO, if i where you I would make sure you are rescuing a dog that has been in a foster home, not a boarding facility. Most rescues have a test drive period and will extend that period if you are encountering any issues with behavior.

Good luck! 
Vicki ~ Mom to Lucy/Chloe/Pippen/Tillman
Forever ♥: Taylor - 2/93-3/09
                  Porter - 11/09-5/13