Author Topic: Mixed breeds responsibly bred?  (Read 3363 times)

storis momma

• Potty Trained
Mixed breeds responsibly bred?
« on: November 28, 2010, 05:22:46 PM »
I'm not wanting to turn this into a debate or anything, but I was just thinking as to whether or not mixed breeds are or can be responsibly bred?
Carla
Mom to Stori 4/11/09

WildBeanerz

• Canine Good Citizen
  • Macie
Re: Mixed breeds responsibly bred?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 05:30:21 PM »
Is there a set forth standard by which to attempt to uphold while breeding? You would absolutely have to perform all the health testing as required for both breeds. Who would be able to determine that they were well bred? Sorry but I just don't see a purpose in that at all. That is where I will stop since you don't want a debate.

April - mom of
Bones RIP big guy 11.04.10 :angel:
Macie 8 yrs brindle female
Chloe 11.19.09 fawn female
Love my rescue

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 07:29:24 PM »
I would not be a good person to respond...just had this debate today with ppl that plan on purchasing a mini labordoodle...UGH!
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

storis momma

• Potty Trained
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 08:27:16 PM »
Since joining this forum I have learned so much about responsible breeding and the more I learn, the more passionate I get about it, I'm right there with you guys on responsible breeding.  It's a genuine question that I was thinking about and I knew you guys would have the right answers.  I had a feeling that mixed breeds weren't responsibly bred but wanted to make sure.  I"m not planning on getting a mixed breed, nor any dog for that manner right now.

I've also seen an uprising of boxer-lab crosses in my area.
Carla
Mom to Stori 4/11/09

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 08:29:44 PM »
I think there might be some very specific cases of "mixed" breeds where I can see it as being done at least somewhat responsibly.  What comes to mind is sled dogs in Alaska (I think they call them Alaskan Huskies?) - they aren't really purebreds, but they are a set of mixes bred for very specific traits. A woman presented to my training club about dogs in the Iditarod and they are doing some health testing - they are aware of some heart issues cropping up (can't remember which) The last thing you want in a racing dog is a bad heart.

I don't think "designer" breeds can be bred responsibly outside of projects sanctioned by official kennel clubs (experiments like the *original* labradoodle in Australia or the UK bobtail Boxer).  The point of a new breed is to serve a purpose not offered by an existing breed - designer breeds are just catering to the public's foolishness, so they would not meet that definition. If people insist on breeding them, it'd be better than nothing if they are least did all the health testing required for each breed involved.

I heard about a new mix trend recently that was pretty horrifying - agility enthusiasts breeding Jack Russells and Border Collies together ("Border Jacks" - ugh) because they want dogs with even more drive and speed.  Considering how neurotic those breeds can be alone, I don't even want to see what happened when they mix!  It's a bit psycho if you ask me - there are plenty of fast, drivey dogs in the existing breeds!
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 08:31:13 PM »
Oh, I didn't know it was a "designer breed" back then, but my best friend had a "Boxador" in HS. As much as I like Rene, I'm not terribly impressed with the concept. She was hyper and would kill you with that long tail trying to keep up with her wiggling behind!!
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

BranwenBoxers

• Canine Good Citizen
  • " Branwen's Eastern Sea " Millie
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 08:50:03 PM »
I agree with Julia about the sled dogs . I can see where it would be very important to health test the dogs before breeding them .   

Heather
Branwen Boxers
www.BranwenBoxers.com

Boxermom,K

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 03:37:05 PM »
I am rather passionate about responsible breeding and the intentional breeding of mixed breeds. I do believe that mixing breeds can be done responsibly though- if one is willing to invest the time and money. First of all there needs to be a goal in mind (not $$) for the breeding program (this applies to any animal). After all the purebreds of today began with mixed beginnings following a goal. Secondly health testing needs to be done on ALL animals involved including follow up testing on offspring.
There are so many purebred dogs out there that we have a breed for almost everything- however I can see where in some sports/jobs that there are changes wanting. Racing huskies for example- there is a couple in MT that competes in Canada and Alaska each year and they have started introducing new breeds into they're once purebred husky stock. They are working with a couple other breeders/competitors with the goal of increasing hardiness and speed. They do a lot of health testing (hips, heart, thyroid and eyes) and and performance testing on their dogs and the dogs that they produce.
Goal oriented cross breeding is practiced in other animals with sometimes good results and other times very bad ones. I believe those involved in it need to not only have the time and money but also have a plan for those offspring that do not fit into the category of 'keepers'. After all the breeder is just as responsible for the 'oops' and non ideal offspring as they are the ones with the desired traits. And these animals are in just as much need for loving homes and good care.

Bubba 12/30/00 - 10/29/07
Kristi
Mom to Laila CGC- 9 year old fawn, Viktor CGC, TDI- 7 year old heeler mix