Author Topic: Wow!!! Early trial time for a change...  (Read 852 times)

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
Wow!!! Early trial time for a change...
« on: November 13, 2010, 07:21:22 PM »
I just got back from a week-long work trip in Florida. Got to spend a few days with my parents, so that was an added bonus, but still VERY tired. Shawn hit a tire left from a semi-truck in the middle of the road, and so now I have to see about getting my car fixed. Not fun, but fortunately he wasn't hurt and the car isn't too badly damaged (still driveable, now that we got it duct taped so pieces stop flying off the bumper as we drive down the road). So, I sit down, go thru the forum and check my email. We have our first Rally Advanced trial this weekend, so was excited to see that we got our premiums info. Shawn's birthday is Friday, so we'll be going out to dinner Friday night and figured our past Rally trials didn't start til after 1pm, which would give me plenty of time to "recupe" from birthday drinks the night before.

Nope. :mad:

Fortunately, this trial is local and only about 30 mins away, so we won't have to drive 2+ hours to get there, set up, etc. But I was shocked to see that Rally starts at 8am!!!! WOW!!! I'm gonna be a hot mess, lol. I like to get there early, set up, get Grady warmed up and relaxed before we go. Advanced startss around 9am, so figured I better get there around 8am. Guess Grady won't get any breakfast that morning....which should be interesting....he'll either be really focussed, hoping I have treats tucked away in my pants pocket....or he'll be a frickin nightmare, totally pissed that we missed his 8am breakfast call! Should be interesting. LOL

Do you guys think I should give him some breakfast? Maybe half his breakfast before we go? Then he can get lots of treats while we warm up before we go on? Tryin to think what's best. But just hoping I'm not too hungover and miss check in! LOL

This trial is one of the biggest in the area. Conformation going on, agility, obedience, etc. We have gone every year to watch the conformation and agility, but have always missed the boxers. Boxers go on at 10am, so atleast we'll be there to see some pretty boxers too. Should be lots of fun. ;D
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
Re: Wow!!! Early trial time for a change...
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 07:25:49 PM »
I'd keep him hungry and thus focused on you  ...hopefully.  Good luck
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Rubidawg

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 07:27:08 PM »
I'd keep him hungry and thus focused on you  ...hopefully.  Good luck
LOL That's what I'm thinkin....but he can go either way. He'll probably be focussed for about 30 seconds in the ring, then get really pissed off at me, start barking, play bowing, then punch me in the stomach with both front paws. Shoudl be interesting for our first run off leash in the ring! LOL
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 07:28:04 PM »
well you could get up super early and feed him earlier than usual...
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Christina

• Socialized
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 07:35:21 PM »
Can you try a day not feeding him breakfast or dinner and working with him, or do you think he would be different in each situation?
Christina
Little Ann 2/14/96-4/6/10
Boomer 1996- 4/25/14
Lucky 4/24/04-8/27/14

Rubidawg

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 07:42:40 PM »
Can you try a day not feeding him breakfast or dinner and working with him, or do you think he would be different in each situation?
Well, ya know...he usually doesn't get his din-din til after we get back from classes. But we usually get back right around his normal din-din time, so he's not sitting at home, waiting for it, or waking up expecting it. So I guess in a way, this would be the same situation, but just a lil bit different. He wakes up, goes outside, and expects breakfast right away. If we go back to bed, he gets in my face and snots all over me, flopping his body on mine, til I finally wake up and feed him. But I bet if we just got up and go, he would be excited.....but til we got there and realized we left and forgot to feed him, that's when he might think, "hey, wait a minute!" But maybe with the treats, and working with him, it won't be so bad.  Unfortunately, I won't have anytime during the week to "practice" this, since I've got to work, but maybe he'll be fine if I just put a lil bit of kibble in his bowl, letting him "think" he's eaten, but not too much that he gets an upset belly from all the excitement....or tunes me out cuz he's full and needs to poop! LOL
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02

Sophia Sadeyes

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 09:21:26 AM »
I don't feed my guys before early agility trials. I feed them after their first run. If I did feed them, they would be eating at 4AM LOL.
Sophia: CGC, OAJ, 05.05.06
Strummer: CGC, OA, AXJ  02.20.08

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 09:45:38 AM »
If he won't go nutty trying to earn food, I'd say skip it... if you are worried he might be overly obsessed (in a non-productive way) maybe give him a half meal so that he's still hungry but not starving.

If I don't feed Xena at her regular mealtime, she's so desperate for food that she starts throwing every behavior she knows at me and drools like crazy. It is NOT pretty. So the most I ever do is give her a half meal so she's got a little extra motivation.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

BranwenBoxers

• Canine Good Citizen
  • " Branwen's Eastern Sea " Millie
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 01:11:13 PM »
I prolly would feed him half his food or maybe a little less then that .  I will keep my fingers crossed for this up comming weekend .  I know you both will do just great  :thumbsup:
Heather
Branwen Boxers
www.BranwenBoxers.com

Rubidawg

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 08:04:26 PM »
I've decided to give him some of his food before we go. He was a butthead in class yesterday, which I'm learning seems to be his "norm" before a show, lol. But I think him and Rubi are both so thrown off with this time change, they think dinner is much earlier now. So class was at 7pm, they usually don't eat til around 8pm, but since the time change...they are both throwing a hissyfit by 7/7:15. So, I'd hate to think what it will be like this weekend when he completely missed breakfast and we're sitting around the trial for a couple hours (also hoping to see the boxers in conformation). So, a lil bit of breakfast in the am, plus lots of treats to warm up, then maybe the rest of his breakfast either before we leave or when we get home....and hopefully he won't be a ding dong like he was yesterday. Lots of focus, but super anxious.
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02