Author Topic: Well Guess You Can't "Win Em All!"  (Read 1589 times)

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
Well Guess You Can't "Win Em All!"
« on: November 21, 2010, 11:56:16 AM »
It was NOT a good show weekend for us. Very disappointed, as I truly looked forward to this show all year and was excited to get Grady out in Advanced, off leash for the first time. Well, needless to say....things did NOT go well for us this weekend. :thumbsdown:

Saturday, I don't know what happened, but he was not his usual, focussed, let's go self. He was very distracted on the sidelines and I thought I finally got him focussed right before we stepped in. Normally, Grady will be a turkey outside the ring, but once he steps foot inside the ring, he's all ready to go. Not Saturday. He stepped in and just plain lost it. It was UGLY, but somehow we still managed to get our 1st Q (barely....scored 73). The judge was very generous...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CAMDpcIB3g
(about halfway thru the vid, the judge tells me to "we should move on." Grady was not doing the commands for the signs and after repeating things so many times before that, I thought she was telling us we NQ's and to move on as in....next dog please. So I grabbed his collar and she said, "no, meant to the next sign." LOL Again, I think she was being VERY generous.)

Sunday, I realized I made alot of mistakes yesterday (maybe nerves, maybe still being tired, maybe the early morning thrrew us both off), so I tried to make sure I didn't do them today. Well, didn't even have a chance to. Right at the start, I removed Grady's leash, he looks up at me, she asks if I'm ready, I say ready and we start to move forward. Well, I should say *I* started to move forward....Grady just sat there, staring off into space. Finally get him to go and he's not paying any attention to me.  He laid down when he was supposed to sit, he sat when he was supposed to finish, I had to repeat commands several times cuz he was just too busy looking everywhere else. We get thru a few signs, get to #7 and it's a jump. He jumps (he LOVES jumps) and suddenly, he seems a bit more focussed. We make a left turn going into the serpentine and boom....he pukes on the floor! :o I was mortified. Wasn't really puke, more like chunks of chicken, mixed with foam....he really just "urped" and then stood there looking at it like he wasn't sure if he should eat it, or if there would be more coming up.

So we NQ'd. :thumbsdown:

And then we left. He didn't seem to be feeling well, so Jamie or Collette - sorry if we missed you.

I really don't know what it was this weekend. He does so well in class, did so well in Novice, figured any "jitters" he had would be getting better. Even people from our club that were there were surprised by how he did this weekend. They've seen him in class, always give us compliments.....and now he's the dog that pukes in the ring! lol Oh well. Class again tomorrow and I'm sure he'll be perfect. Think we'll take some time off and just try to get him more used to being off leash, I guess. Don't know what else to do.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 12:00:29 PM by Rubidawg »
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

Rubidawg

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
Re: Well Guess You Can't "Win Em All!"
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 12:02:30 PM »
Oh, but we did enjoy meeting Peggy with ProBoxers on Saturday. She was in the parking lot with the dogs in the expen and we got to see Floyd (GORGEOUS!) and Grady got to play with 2 BEAUTIFUL fawn puppies. Was so hard to not scoop one of em up and take em home, especially since Grady fell in love with them both.
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 01:46:00 PM »
Sorry to hear the competition didn't go as you expected - is it possible that he felt "off" both days, considering he puked today?

Playing with the pups and meeting Floyd sounds like fun though!
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Rubidawg

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 02:03:03 PM »
- is it possible that he felt "off" both days, considering he puked today?
I don't think so, but ya never know. He was fine yesterday and right up until we got in the ring today. He's not acting "sick" either....I think he probably just got too many treats, swallowed em whole and hacked em up in the ring (it was smaller than a palm-sized mix of whole chunks of chicken and foam), then afterwards he just seemed a lil "under the weather." I had his attention on the sidelines, but the minute he walked in the ring....he just looked "Shell-shocked" (as Shawn put it) both days, moreso today tho. I think maybe the jump caused the "urp" episode and since we had to go early in the am, he got half his breakfast - and maybe that's part of why he yacked??? I dunno.  It happens, I guess. All we can do is try to stay focussed and keep workin at it. It's just sucha disappointment....he seemed so ready, and I was lookin forward to having this show under my belt and to get 2 legs this weekend. I know it's not all about winning or losing, it's about having fun....but in a way, this makes me question whether or not he's as ready as I thought he was....and if he's just getting bored with it altogether. One day outta wack, and I wouldn't think too much about it....but for it to be two days, I'm a lil curious as to why he just lost it in the ring. Will be interesting to see how he does in class tomorrow.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 02:05:41 PM by Rubidawg »
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 02:07:46 PM »
Yeah, I think sometimes we can't really pin down what happened. I know a couple times I walked into the ring thinking Xena was going to be pretty fabulous - had her focus ringside, practice had been going extremely well, etc - then we'd really bomb and it was very frustrating.  There are some many variables and the best we can do is proof against them as much as possible.

I forget, do you ever have matches nearby? I'm hoping to hit up a couple matches before spring/Nationals because Xena and I will have been out of the ring for quite a while and we need some time to get back into the swing.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Rubidawg

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 02:25:48 PM »
I forget, do you ever have matches nearby? I'm hoping to hit up a couple matches before spring/Nationals because Xena and I will have been out of the ring for quite a while and we need some time to get back into the swing.
None as close as I'd like em to be - 2+ hours away, but I think our list posted one that if I recall, I thought was closer than usual. That's a good point. Usually, they are so far out, that I don't consider them, and most of them are not Rally, so I usually don't depend on them....but it would be good for more practice before we step back in again.  They just don't come up as often as I'd like....or I could drive 3-4 hours to go to one.

(actually...just checked....the one I was thinking of was LAST weekend and it was Agility!)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 02:35:16 PM by Rubidawg »
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02

Rubidawg

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 09:38:36 PM »
Hmmmm.....the things you learn when someone video tapes you....

Just got the video from our club member from today's trainwreck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yyWwlLgmWw

Definitely see what we need to work on now. :thumbsup: Makes me feel a bit better atleast.

(notice the "urp" at the end, poor guy just completely froze after that)
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02

Christina

• Socialized
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 10:08:24 PM »
Sorry the weekend didn't go well  :thumbsdown:  I hope Grady gets right back into it with class.  Maybe being off leash and the earlier time threw him off a bit too. 

You guys will do better next time  :thumbsup:
Christina
Little Ann 2/14/96-4/6/10
Boomer 1996- 4/25/14
Lucky 4/24/04-8/27/14

Lisa

• Socialized
  • My pack, 5/27/12
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 02:54:41 AM »
Sorry things didn't go well for Grady this weekend.  More experience in the ring and at the show in general is always good though, and you got a leg!  Congratulations.  I hope he performs more like the superstar we all know he is next time.  :)
Artax, male Retriever mix, 11/1/99
Koda, CGC RN TT AD, male brindle, 10/10/08
Mukki, CGC, female fawn, 4/20/10

csmartin63

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 08:57:17 AM »
I looked for you, so now I know why I couldn't find you.  Sorry things didn't go well for you, but chalk it up to an experience and move on.  I saw the PRO Boxer van outside in the parking lot as well and the puppies too.  They were so cute!!  I met the owners of Shamrock Boxers and talked to them for awhile.  The breeder of my first boxer was there as well.  I hate I missed meeting you.  I think there is going to be some sort of show there in April.  Not sure exactly what it is going to be.  The man I was talking to was there scouting out the venue for his kennel club in April. If I hear anything, I will let you know.
Collette
Lizzie-White Female 5/8/2009, Max-Fawn Male 8/5/10, Harley-Brindle Male 9/5/10
Jake-Fawn Male 11/12/1998-3/4/2009

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 12:40:35 PM »
Sorry it didn't go so well, but don't feel terribly disheartened by it - it happens to ALL of us! Somedays things go badly and there is just no telling why. 

I would look for some matches  to attend next - those might help you out.
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

Rubidawg

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 12:54:39 PM »
Yeh, so sorry Collette! Keep me posted about the April one. I'm sure I'll find out about it, but if we can try to meet up, that would be great.

Thanks everyone! I know it just was an off weekend altogether. Talking to one  of the trainers from our club (the one who took the video on Sunday), I realize our main issue was all the distractions. This was his first time off leash and the first time he's been asked to "compete" with 2 other rings with dogs in them. Our other trials, Rally was the only ring open, so even tho there were distractions of other dogs and lots of people before....this was the first trial with dogs in the ring right next to him. He does well in class and all the rings being used, but the first time we really hit those heavy distractions, which obviously were more of an issue than I thought for him. So, going to be working harder on those and hope to get thru them before our club's trial in February. We may just take a break from competing for a lil while and work with him as much as possible til then.

So, even tho I was disappointed, I now know what we really need to work on and try our best to get it better before we step into that again. It's a good learning experience for me and hopefully will help me focus a lil better on gettin Grady more relaxed and used to all that around him.
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02

Missy/Precious mom

• Most Encouraging Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 02:49:42 PM »
Sorry things didn't go too well this weekend.   :fingerscrossed: that the next time you will both look like champs. :thumbsup:
Joyce

Eilene

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2010, 04:46:39 PM »
 :fingerscrossed: For the next time..
Eilene
Nala, Luna
Forever in my heart Amber,Bailey,Chicklet,Tequila

BranwenBoxers

• Canine Good Citizen
  • " Branwen's Eastern Sea " Millie
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2010, 04:52:01 PM »
Oh Dawn sounds like you both had a rough weekend .  Fingers crossed for ya both at your next trials .   
Heather
Branwen Boxers
www.BranwenBoxers.com