Author Topic: What the heck just happened  (Read 1148 times)

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • "No Pressure, no diamonds"-Mary Case
    • Getting Evan
What the heck just happened
« on: November 05, 2010, 08:28:06 PM »
Recently I have noticed Peanut getting...bitchy.  She sometimes snaps at Beas for what seems to be no reason. It seems to have started a few weeks after I am pregnant. Once or twice it has been because Beas has been near me with food. But it happened a few seconds ago when I was laying down. I know that she is going to start her heat cycle soon, but I wanted to see if it might be something else? They are totally fine now not even 5 minutes later (they are snuggling)
Mom to:
Beasley (flashy fawn male) born 11/15/2005
Peanut (classic brindle female) born 2/15/2009
Evan (two legged brunette male) born 4/20/2011

Newcastle

• Most Informed Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • WHEEE!!!!!
    • Newcastle Boxers
Re: What the heck just happened
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 09:14:00 AM »
Coming into season was my first thought; she's also at a bratty age. ;)  Emma went through a phase where no one was allowed on the couch with me if she was there - I'd either push her off the couch (if I could do it without hurting her or shoving her onto another dog) or get up and move. She learned that she's not allowed to 'guard' me; I'm not super-strict with my dogs but guarding is one thing I'll stop. (Except between mothers and sons; not that I don't try, but mothers and sons have a very strange relationship. Guarding between them doesn't seem to mean what it does between two other dogs--it's more of a game than anything serious.)
Jennifer Walker
Newcastle Boxers, Reg'd
Mind ~ Body ~ Spirit ~ Naturally

Visit the Boxer Crazy Store

blynn03

• Most Helpful Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 09:25:32 AM »
If it's not her heat cycle, I would guess it's about her getting older and maturing.  I can remember Bella being really submissive when she was young (like would roll on her back at the dog park when she met new dogs)...but around 18 months or so, she turned into a bad ass and won't take crap from anyone.  She doesn't start trouble, she just doesn't let trouble mess with her.   :laugh4: 
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Getting Evan
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 09:28:54 AM »
I am hoping it's her going into heat. She is always very dominate of Beas but he is rarely doing anything that warrants her "defending herself".
Mom to:

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Getting Evan
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 08:30:43 PM »
Grr. It just happened again. When it happened I made her get off the couch and had Beas come sit next to me. Not 2 minutes later and she came over sniffed both of us and went to lay down
Mom to:

Vintage Boxers

• Potty Trained
    • Vintage Boxers
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 10:25:22 AM »
My two cents:

One part is the heat cycle...

another part...she's a girl...

another  part is YOU...nothing you can change right now though. You are pregnant, I know when i was prego with mac all of my dogs were more protective of me and they changed with their social interactions. I had to be almost hyper aware and give them each their own time and energy. They also got a TON of baby stuff time.

I wish you good luck but its just going to take time and vigilance on your part (and hubs)

S
Vintage Boxers
www.vintageboxers.com

Vintage Boxers

• Potty Trained
    • Vintage Boxers
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 10:29:51 AM »
Thought of one more thing, when you sent her away and called beas to you, that is also a jealousy issue for her.

If beas is already there, fine, but if he has to be called to you that isn't showing her anything but you want him where she isn't allowed.

My suggestion, when she gets snippy, you can still send her off of whatever furniture, but i would suggest a bigger time out for her. I would suggest when she snips you send her to either her crate or her "bed" and down stay her and just ignore her. She can rejoin the pack when she can act like a stable member of the pack.
Vintage Boxers
www.vintageboxers.com

Boxermom,K

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 11:38:22 AM »
I agree it's partly related to her cycle and partly due to your pregnancy but mostly it's because she is female! When I was pregnant, the female boxer in our house at the time was Savanna and she was rather possessive of me while I was pregnant and I would have to make her have time outs.

Laila is prone to bitchiness and gets time outs that range from a simple verbal reprimand to being removed from the room for a while depending on the severity of the incident. Thankfully Viktor is not a reactive dog and just lets things pass otherwise there would have been several times that we might have had a dog fight going.

Bubba 12/30/00 - 10/29/07
Kristi
Mom to Laila CGC- 9 year old fawn, Viktor CGC, TDI- 7 year old heeler mix

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Getting Evan
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 02:34:46 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I will start giving her more time outs. She's the devil but I adore her.
Mom to:

Sophia Sadeyes

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 08:33:17 PM »
Strum can be like this with dogs OUTSIDE his pack. Never at home. He would never do this to Sophia or the dogs in his pack that he interacts with at his doggie day care BUT put a new dog in the mix and IF his person tries to pet the other dog...he'll get snarky. He is VERY I mean VERY protective of me. He does not get any attention in those situations and if he acts out...he gets TIMEOUT ALONE.

I agree with others. Don't let her get away with and remove her from the situation.
Sophia: CGC, OAJ, 05.05.06
Strummer: CGC, OA, AXJ  02.20.08

blynn03

• Most Helpful Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 09:17:23 AM »
Thought of one more thing, when you sent her away and called beas to you, that is also a jealousy issue for her.

If beas is already there, fine, but if he has to be called to you that isn't showing her anything but you want him where she isn't allowed.

I agree with this...I'd be pissed off if I were her too.   :laugh4:
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Getting Evan
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 09:34:22 AM »

I agree with this...I'd be pissed off if I were her too.   :laugh4:

Thanks...I only did this once...so, I will keep it in mind.  It usually happens when she is snuggling me and Beas tries to come and snuggle too
Mom to:

Lisa

• Socialized
  • My pack, 5/27/12
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 03:58:06 PM »
It usually happens when she is snuggling me and Beas tries to come and snuggle too
Mukki snaps at Koda sometimes in this situation too.  I give her a verbal correction "uh uh!" which she is very responsive to and then snuggle them both, which often turns into a wrestling play session.  Good luck with Peas and Beas.
Artax, male Retriever mix, 11/1/99
Koda, CGC RN TT AD, male brindle, 10/10/08
Mukki, CGC, female fawn, 4/20/10