Author Topic: breeder's responsibility for congenital problems in puppy  (Read 9397 times)

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • "No Pressure, no diamonds"-Mary Case
    • Getting Evan
Re: breeder's responsibility for congenital problems in puppy
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2010, 09:35:49 AM »
It is actually my son who purchased this puppy.  I apologize for misrepresenting myself.  This is my last post here.

Nance....please don't leave.  What our members here are trying to prevent is you going through the same heartache many of them went through.  Quite a few of our members have bought dogs from BYBs and pet stores before they knew better.  And MOST of them have ended up dealing with some major health issues with their dogs.  They just want to prevent people from going through the same losses they went through
Mom to:
Beasley (flashy fawn male) born 11/15/2005
Peanut (classic brindle female) born 2/15/2009
Evan (two legged brunette male) born 4/20/2011

Missy/Precious mom

• Most Encouraging Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2010, 09:37:48 AM »
It is actually my son who purchased this puppy.  I apologize for misrepresenting myself.  This is my last post here.

Nance....please don't leave.  What our members here are trying to prevent is you going through the same heartache many of them went through.  Quite a few of our members have bought dogs from BYBs and pet stores before they knew better.  And MOST of them have ended up dealing with some major health issues with their dogs.  They just want to prevent people from going through the same losses they went through
:yes:
Joyce

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2010, 09:45:08 AM »
We are just very passionate about boxers and do not want another person to go throgh the heartache of losing their dog or having a life time of health issues .

One of my friends fell in love with my first boxer and decided they wanted one .
They bought a male puppy from an ad in the paper , he died of bone cancer at about 18 months old . Their kids were devestated .
They bought another boxer from a breeder ( but one who did not health test )  . The breeder was a very nice person and the puppies and parents were kept inside and clean .
That boxer died of a heart attack at 3 years old , right in front of their son .

This is exactly what people here are trying to help you aviod .

Don't leave because you do not like what some others are saying . You do not have to accept all the advice you are given but you can still learn much about this great breed.
Even those of us who have belonged to this forum for year do not always agree on everything .  ;)
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

WildBeanerz

• Canine Good Citizen
  • Macie
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2010, 10:15:54 AM »
Even those of us who have belonged to this forum for year do not always agree on everything .  ;)
Amen to that!  :thumbsup:

That is the good & bad thing about a public forum. You are putting your questions/opinions out there for anyone in the world to read & comment on. It can go either way. Sometimes there are going to be answers or comments that you don't want to hear. But all in all we are all here for the same reason....we LOVE boxers. We just want you to have the best boxer experience that you can and we don't feel that this breeder is the way to get that experience.

She can guarantee you all that you want to hear but in the end what health testing has she done on these dogs? None that she speaks of so far (on her own website). Just because she is giving you a guarantee doesn't mean that the health issues aren't still there or possibly there. You caught it early this time. What if next time you (or your son) have the dog for 6 months or a year and are that much more attached and then you find a serious life threatening problem that could have been prevented through proper health testing? Are you really going to return the pup at that point and ask for yet another one? I don't think you would. I know I wouldn't.

In this situation I would have to cut my losses on the price that was paid for this puppy and start researching a well bred litter that may be coming up in your area.

I'm sorry that you feel you need to leave. Don't feel bad for misrepresenting yourself. I don't personally like it but understand you were just trying to get answers. Come back and learn and by the time that next litter is due you may have a better understanding of why you should stay away from that "breeder".

April - mom of
Bones RIP big guy 11.04.10 :angel:
Macie 8 yrs brindle female
Chloe 11.19.09 fawn female
Love my rescue

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2010, 10:22:05 AM »
It is a shame you are leaving...there is so much you could learn if you stay. I hope, if you get another pup from theis breeder, your expectations are met...but as others said, it is very unlikely.
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

cupcakes mom

• Just Whelped
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2010, 12:52:55 AM »
My 11 week old puppy had a level 3 heart murmur at 8 weeks, now it is much better.  I read that 95% of the time it's not a big problem.   I thought of taking her back at first, but I'm glad I didn't because it looks like she is fine and she may well grow out of it.
She also had kennel cough when I brought her home.  Made me wonder about the breeder. 

BranwenBoxers

• Canine Good Citizen
  • " Branwen's Eastern Sea " Millie
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2010, 03:53:35 PM »
Well I am glad that you have decided to keep her and not send her back   . 

But I would recamend getting an echo done on her ( when you have the money )   .  I had a pup ( last litter )    with a Grade 3 mummer and he was diagnosed with Mild AS .  Thank god I found him a perferct home w/ Vicki and her family  :smitten:  I could not have found a better home for him .       

Heather
Branwen Boxers
www.BranwenBoxers.com

Lisa

• Socialized
  • My pack, 5/27/12
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2010, 07:48:17 PM »
Is Nance keeping Molly?  I must have missed that post.  I hope so, or that she at least ends up in a good home somehow.  I hate to think of what would happen if I returned Koda to his breeder due to his DCM.  She couldn't breed or show him, already has a house and kennel full of dogs and I can't imagine that she'd be willing to spend the money to treat his condition considering that she wasn't and still isn't willing to spend the money on health testing his relatives, while continuing to breed them.  She can't even be bothered to acknowledge my emails at this point.  ::)  I guess she'd either have him euthanized or try to find him a home without telling the new owners of his condition.
Artax, male Retriever mix, 11/1/99
Koda, CGC RN TT AD, male brindle, 10/10/08
Mukki, CGC, female fawn, 4/20/10

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • "No Pressure, no diamonds"-Mary Case
    • Getting Evan
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2010, 10:36:49 PM »
Indint believe nance is keeping Molly.
Mom to:
Beasley (flashy fawn male) born 11/15/2005