Author Topic: breeder's responsibility for congenital problems in puppy  (Read 9388 times)

nance

• Just Whelped
Re: breeder's responsibility for congenital problems in puppy
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2010, 03:26:59 PM »
Sorry, can't figure out how to have an Avatar

WildBeanerz

• Canine Good Citizen
  • Macie
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2010, 03:32:07 PM »
In your profile...along the left...Forum Profile Information and you can upload from your PC. It does need to be of smallish size though. Something like 150x150 or so should do it.

If you need more help just say something.

I am sorry that you are giving her back and waiting for yet another puppy who will not have any proper health screenings done either. I just hope she doesn't pawn her off on another unsuspecting puppy buyer.

Sorry, it's hard to hold back what I have to say today.

April - mom of
Bones RIP big guy 11.04.10 :angel:
Macie 8 yrs brindle female
Chloe 11.19.09 fawn female
Love my rescue

Missy/Precious mom

• Most Encouraging Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2010, 03:33:04 PM »
To post a picture you need to upload it to a site like Photo Bucket.  You can set up an account for free.  Then you just copy the IMG code and paste it into your post.

Sorry you are not keeping Molly and I hope the new pup works out for you.
Joyce

nance

• Just Whelped
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2010, 03:36:40 PM »
You all have every right to your feelings! I asked for comments.( Thanks for the upload info.) This is a no win situation.  You all can't be feeling as bad as we are. 

Missy/Precious mom

• Most Encouraging Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2010, 03:39:06 PM »
She is a cutie.  You need to do what you feel you have to do.  Everybody has their own opinion but that sometimes changes when they are actually in the situation.  I do hope you get a healthy puppy in the spring.
Joyce

nance

• Just Whelped
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2010, 03:41:57 PM »
The breeder promises a health certificate from a licensed veterinarian. We're writing up a contract now. I can only hope she'll do the right thing!

WildBeanerz

• Canine Good Citizen
  • Macie
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2010, 03:45:39 PM »
The breeder promises a health certificate from a licensed veterinarian. We're writing up a contract now. I can only hope she'll do the right thing!

:thumbsup: Cute pic too BTW!

April - mom of
Bones RIP big guy 11.04.10 :angel:
Macie 8 yrs brindle female
Chloe 11.19.09 fawn female
Love my rescue

blynn03

• Most Helpful Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2010, 03:47:16 PM »

Is there any way you can just return the puppy and NOT get another one in the spring?  I would not bind myself in writing to this breeder for anything!  She clearly does not have the best interests of the breed in mind.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 03:51:30 PM by blynn03 »
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

TobysMomma

• Vet Checked
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2010, 03:55:09 PM »
She is a cutie. I hope you are not feeling like we are judging you, this is just a very unfortunate siutation and sad for all involved and it is hard to choose just the right words that would not hurt your feelings or upset you further. I am sad for your family but as a rescuer I am very concerned for the pup also. It doesn't sound like she is going back to a good situation. We can each only say what we would do in the same situation even though like someone pointed out, talk is cheap. Still we are all here to share and discuss about our beloved boxer breed. I personally would not take the puppy back to the breeder and I would not even consider getting another pup from them. Even with tight finances I would do my best for the pup and conclude it was a lesson learned the hard way for myself and my children.   Would you consider turning her over to rescue to give her the best chance at a loving forever home?  Also I would consider waiting untill you are in a better financial position before getting another puppy. Any pet even one from a responsible breeder could end up with issues that require financial outlay.
Please Support Boxer Rescue
http://www.ncbr.org/ca/index.php
Lori Momma to Ajay, Bo and current foster girl Blanca
Toby and Ayla forever in my heart

Samsons Mom

• Most Improved Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Sir-samps-a-lot :)
    • Samson's Therapy Dog Blog
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2010, 03:58:32 PM »
Sorry you are going though this. But honestly, give her back the puppy and wait for a litter from a responsible/reputable breeder(or look into rescues). You may have to take a loss on this purchase, but in the end.... it will be worth it because vet bills add up with BYB dogs :confused:

Good luck! :fingerscrossed:
Keri, owned by- Samson, CGC, Therapy Dog(7/08)

nance

• Just Whelped
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2010, 06:05:52 PM »
Thank you all for your input.  Molly was another in a long line of boxers myself and my family have had.   Different breeders.  Different years. Bella, pictured here, was rescued as a pup and we lost her this past year.  You can tell she was an 'old' girl, but she was the best! Family has offered an evaluation by the cardiologist but, Molly is so young, and the breeder deceived us concerning a vet check.  Our vet says there are other potentially dangerous issues, when she looked at Molly's eyes.  We are not willing to take the risk, mostly emotionally, at this time.  With the next puppy having a written health check, at least our chances are better.   Every issue has many sides, and this has been an especially tragic summer for our family.  We need to move on...get some space..and hope the breeder does the right thing by Molly.  You are all free to your opinions but, i have learned to not judge until I have walked in another's shoes.  I love the information and ideas presented in this forum and would like to continue to be a part of it.  The avatar is Bella, just before she died.

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2010, 06:42:50 PM »
With the next puppy having a written health check, at least our chances are better

Honestly this will not make your chances any better . If both parents have not been fully health tested . Full health testing includes ; holter testing , echo/doppler ( both screen for heart problems ) .If this breeder did not have these tests done on molly's parents i doubt they would be done on your next puppy from them either.
A health check is nothing but a quick look at the puppy , nothing more.

You can see what is the recommended heath testing for breeding boxers by the American Boxer Club here-
http://americanboxerclub.org/health-screening.html
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 08:04:21 PM by Bruins_Boxer »
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2010, 06:53:43 PM »
I so agree with Lori...this murmur may go away as Molly ages...it may not too, but there are things you can do for her to give her a wonderful life. Missi is correct that you most likely won't be getting a pup that is in any better condition she the parents haven't been health tested. I am not sure what it will take for you to see that getting another is NOT the right idea...either keep Molly or take the loss and consider it a lesson learned.

I hope you take a bit more time to think this out before you possibly jump into another mistake.
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

nance

• Just Whelped
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2010, 07:22:06 PM »
Thanks for the health testing site.  I will copy.

Boxermom,K

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2010, 08:11:54 PM »
Our vet says there are other potentially dangerous issues, when she looked at Molly's eyes.  We are not willing to take the risk, mostly emotionally, at this time.  With the next puppy having a written health check, at least our chances are better.  

I can understand not wanting to take on the financial and emotional responsibility of a pup with health issues especially when you were led to believe she was healthy. I am very sorry you and your family have gone through this and I hope you can take something positive from the experience-a lesson learned about irresponsible breeders.
I wish you the best no matter your choice but I sincerely hope you will reconsider getting another puppy from that breeder. She has proven herself untrustworthy to begin with for having misled you about the vet having checked the puppy. A written health check is just a statement from the vet saying that they have looked at the said dog/puppy and did not see any obvious health concerns- it does not mean the puppy is genetically sound. I hope you will have time before signing into a contract of purchase to do some research and ask some serious questions to the breeder and possibly find another one.
I do hope you continue to be a part of the forum, I know some of us can come off a bit strong on certain topics. It's not because we are trying to be mean it's because many of us have been there and want to help others from making those same mistakes.

Bubba 12/30/00 - 10/29/07
Kristi
Mom to Laila CGC- 9 year old fawn, Viktor CGC, TDI- 7 year old heeler mix