Author Topic: Why are there so many more male conformation Champions than females?  (Read 1885 times)

Lisa

• Socialized
  • My pack, 5/27/12
Is it because they're shown more, or it's easier to get more points with them, or some other reason?
Artax, male Retriever mix, 11/1/99
Koda, CGC RN TT AD, male brindle, 10/10/08
Mukki, CGC, female fawn, 4/20/10

Vintage Boxers

• Potty Trained
    • Vintage Boxers
Re: Why are there so many more male conformation Champions than females?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 11:52:34 PM »
There are alot of reasons but from what i have been told from several LONG time breeders, and observed myself, Males are more often showy and up, where females are not. There are some showy showy girls as you can see by our top twenty list and #1 working dog...but More often males are just more showy and excitable bubble heads!

That is just my opinion
Vintage Boxers
www.vintageboxers.com

CedarBoxers

• Weanling
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 01:30:20 AM »
do you have the numbers for this statement? how many male vs female champions there are? id think there would be more females.. just because breeders usually only have one or two studs and many bitches..

Lisa

• Socialized
  • My pack, 5/27/12
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 01:52:53 AM »
Oh I was mostly basing it on all the pedigrees I've seen, it seems like there are way more male Champions in almost all of them, with often no or hardly any females.  That's probably partly due to the best males siring many more offspring than any female could though.  Maybe there aren't really more males than females.

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 06:15:43 AM »
"Bubble heads" I think you hit the nail on the head!
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Hanna Banana

• Best Topics & Most Thought-Provoking Posts - 2008
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 07:53:08 AM »
If you are basing your info on pedigrees than its prob mainly because males can be used more frequently in breeding than females.    If you go to any AKC show esp around here, you will see the numbers of bitches entered far exceed the number of dogs, esp in the East Coast.  So around here, its a lot easier to finish a male then a bitch as the number of dogs to obtain points is much less than bitches.

That being said, there are some nice bitches being shown, and wish there were more nicer dogs! 
Heather  - Mom to Hanna Banana & Kash

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 07:59:45 AM »
Yeah, I don't actually know that there are more males CH than females? It would be interesting to do a count and see how many of each there were per year.

Generally speaking there are more females than males showing (although that is not true down here in Texas right now) - and for that reason it takes a lot more females to get points than males - for example, we currently need 14 males to get a 3 point major yet it takes 20 females to get a 3 point major.  So for this reason it is harder to finish a female, since there are normally a lot more showing, and IMO, they are generally more competitive than the males.

But I do think it is true that some breeders seem to place more value in finishing the males, and oftentimes the bitch is at home in the whelping box and not being shown.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 08:01:41 AM by RocketBoxer »
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

Vintage Boxers

• Potty Trained
    • Vintage Boxers
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 03:50:41 PM »
I suppose i am more apt to think the boys are just more showy, but there are nice showy girls

I wish there were better of BOTH genders out there to be honest...VERY HONEST
Vintage Boxers
www.vintageboxers.com

Lisa

• Socialized
  • My pack, 5/27/12
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 01:05:09 AM »
Does a female necessarily have to be judged better than males in order to become a Champion, or could she get enough points competing only against other females?

Hanna Banana

• Best Topics & Most Thought-Provoking Posts - 2008
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 07:23:18 AM »
Dogs *should* be judged on how they adhere to the standard.  I dont think sex comes into play when being judged.   However if a bitch goes Best of Winners and there are enought dogs entered for 2 points and there is only a single point in bitches she will take the points away from the dogs and earn two points.   

Bitches compete against bitches to win Winners Bitch and grab points.   However like above if the Winners Bitch beats the Winners Dog, then she can earn more points than if she was just getting Winners bitch.

Heather  - Mom to Hanna Banana & Kash

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 08:45:45 AM »
Does a female necessarily have to be judged better than males in order to become a Champion, or could she get enough points competing only against other females?

She just has to be better then the other females (on the day she is shown) entered  . There are just more females eneterd to compete against so it is harder to win .

And like what Heather said about taking the higher points if a female takes best of winners. The female would be considered better then the males shown that day as well.
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

fairview Boxers

• Socialized
  • Corky 7yrs...Grandaughter Bella 8 weeks
    • Fairview Boxers
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 10:19:13 AM »
I had been told (in the beginning of my show research) that males are easier to finish because they are truer to the standard...  I am not sure I believe this, not now!  But, I can see how it might have been true at one time.  Males normally have more muscle mass, height, and substance...
For me, I would rather have a doggie bitch, than a bitchy dog... speaking about structure apposed to personality...  ;)
Kat Medved
Aggie 7.7.2007, Ozzy 04.16.2012
At the Bridge: Corky 11.2.2002-2.2012, Cass 8.6.2005-6.2012 www.fairviewboxer.com

Newcastle

• Most Informed Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • WHEEE!!!!!
    • Newcastle Boxers
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 11:32:11 AM »
It seems to be cyclical; the first ABC I went to, there was far more depth of quality in bitches than in dogs. Five years ago dogs had the lead, and now we're back to bitches.

However if a bitch goes Best of Winners and there are enought dogs entered for 2 points and there is only a single point in bitches she will take the points away from the dogs and earn two points.   

Just to clarify one thing - the bitch doesn't take the points away from the dogs, she simply gets the higher point count of the two. (The dog still gets two points, in other words.)

I know Heather didn't mean it that way but someone unfamiliar might misunderstand. :)
Jennifer Walker
Newcastle Boxers, Reg'd
Mind ~ Body ~ Spirit ~ Naturally

Visit the Boxer Crazy Store

Lisa

• Socialized
  • My pack, 5/27/12
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 07:57:30 PM »
Do any of you know of a good "AKC conformation 101" type guide that explains how points are awarded, how dogs become Champions, etc.?  I looked around the AKC site a little but didn't find much, and am not understanding much of this conversation.

jinxx

• Socialized
    • JinxxBoxers
Jill
JinxxBoxers http://jinxx.us/

CH. Jinxx Burlesque Dancer Zorita-
Jinxx Xcitable Boy Xeno