Author Topic: Moving to B After You Title?  (Read 969 times)

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
Moving to B After You Title?
« on: October 24, 2010, 10:34:05 PM »
We went back to the trial today even tho we titled yesterday. Wanted the practice both inside and outside the ring. Grady was much better today. Still a lil antsy and wanting to get in other dog's faces...but much quicker to recover and gain focus. Not nearly as bad as yesterday. It was yet another long day and I think I've learned...if it's 2 hours away, stay the night. We are all exhausted and I think the car ride and waiting around did Grady in, as he took 4th place with an 85 today. I think part of it was not only waiting around and him being very excited to get back in the ring....but I think going 1st this time was a bit harder on him. We waited as they announced the Novice B winners and were on deck when all the dogs came out. He was very confused and didn't get his focus back til we were half-way done the course.

Anyway, I noticed today that a junior handler who was before us yesterday, ran her dog in the B class today. Thought that was strange, as I didn't remember her running  a dog in B yesterday (not sure if it was the same dog), but she had a number that was ran yesterday. A lady with a lab who competed against us in A yesterday made a comment that it wasn't fair that we were competing against her again today cuz Grady scored a 99 and shoulda gone into B. Is that correct? I thought I would still have to compete in A, so I ran in A? Thought my only option was to stay in A if we wanted to stay in Novice for now....or move up to Advance. I haven't titled a dog before, so figured I would run all the way thru to A, and for now...B meant nothing for us.

She was joking around cuz her dog lost to us yesterday and was one of the dogs that reacted to Grady being in his crate. But you never know how much truth is in someone's sarcastic comments. Or was she just joking and saying that she didn't want to compete against us. She ended up placing 1st today with a 97, so I was sure to congratulate her. But the comment still has me lost as if I did something wrong? If we don't move up to Advance in November....would I still compete in A or have to go to B?
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Moving to B After You Title?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 07:17:55 AM »
You would have to move up to B.  Novice A class is for handlers who have never put a Rally title on a dog, and now that you have a title, you are technically a Novice B level handler.  The Rally regulations say that you can continue to compete in Novice A for 60 days after receiving your Novice A title: http://www.akc.org/pdfs/rulebooks/RO2999.pdf - page 137  However, since B has the same difficulty level, just tougher competition, most people around here move up immediately.  I think some people (like that lady) want you to move up because they want a better chance of winning against other untitled dogs.  I think the handlers who title often feel the same - I know when I got my CD, my classmates were talking right away about me being a B handler and it was sort of expected that I'd move up to B class if I kept showing in Novice (and my classmates, with one exception, all have titled dogs before, so they weren't hoping to keep me out of competition, lol)

Also remember that after the Novice level, A & B is about the dog, not the handler. You would be in Advanced A because Grady does not have an Advanced title.  Some people get confused about that, but the B classes are essentially for RAE competitors.  You can always voluntarily compete in B to start with (I accidentally competed in Novice B my first time in the Rally ring... thought B meant "less experienced") but you get the same 60 day grace period after titling before you are forced to move up.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Rubidawg

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 09:14:36 AM »
So if I wanted to continue in Novice, I "could" stay in A during that 60 day grace period, right? Or I have the choice to move to B, for that 60-day grace period. Or move up to Advanced anytime. That's what I figured and how I read it in the rule books and didn't think I was doing anything wrong by staying in A. (personally, I would move up to B if I decided to stay in Novice for the next competition) I know our first comp, on the 2nd day a new lady/dog showed up. When the judge asked about titles, legs, etc....she said she earned her title the day before at another show. So I assumed it was OK to stay in A, since no one said anything to her.
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

Lisa

• Socialized
  • My pack, 5/27/12
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 07:26:14 PM »
An advantage of competing in B level is that though the competition may be tougher, at the show where Koda titled there were always more dogs in the A classes, so the B dogs had less competition.
Artax, male Retriever mix, 11/1/99
Koda, CGC RN TT AD, male brindle, 10/10/08
Mukki, CGC, female fawn, 4/20/10

Rubidawg

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 07:29:29 PM »
Hmmmm....not the case at the 2 shows I've been to. Guess it varies. But 18 dogs in B versus 13 dogs in A for both days.

I'm not afraid to move to B, just wasn't sure if I *had* to yesterday. If we continue in Novice, then I'll go to B as a courtesy, going forward. Heck, with some of the dogs I saw yesterday....he coulda beat em in Advance AND Excellent! LOL B doesn't scare me....I just wasn't sure if it pertained to me since we had just titled the day before and AKC hasn't made it official yet.
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 09:16:42 PM »
Yeah, honestly I've never heard of someone actually complaining to someone for staying in A when they titled the day before.  It's not like you are an old pro, ya know?  But it does seem expected, even though the AKC gives you two months.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

Rubidawg

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 10:00:01 PM »
LOL I know, right? Maybe she was just joking, but I do admit I kinda felt the same way when I was at the first show and the lady said she had titled the day before. She scored the same as Grady and I did, but beat us by 6 seconds, I think, so she took the 2nd place. I think I did say something kinda jokingly to Shawn about it, saying that wasn't fair, she shoulda moved up (meaning Adv), but it wasn't like I went home crying over it, lol, it really didn't matter to me, I was still proud of what Grady and I did.  It's not about placing to me...it's about qualifying...placing is just the icing on the cake and the way I saw it....if we Q'd, that was all that mattered. I don't necessarily compete to compete against other dogs, even tho you kinda do naturally, but I compete to see how me and my dog do...not so much worried about who beats who, etc.

I can see it as a "courtesy" to other competitors to switch class, but if AKC doesn't demand you either move up or switch class, then it's not like I did anything wrong if you go by the rule books. Which is why I say that if I could move to B and still compete in Novice, then that's what we'll do.
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02

Rubidawg

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 12:55:18 PM »
OK, just entered Grady in his next trial....Advance A November 20 & 21 (day after Shawn's birthday, he'll LOVE it! haha) But that's correct, right? A....not B? (Trial's in Concord @ Cabarrus Arena if any of the local NC members are going to be around)

I'm pretty sure that is right, but I like to double check to be sure. The regs are confusing and I find myself second guessing even if I know the answer. LOL

We did our first off-leash runs last week in class. I was a bit nervous to see how he'd do, but the runs were beautiful! (both Adv and Exc exercises) The instructors did a sample score for us, and he only lost 1 point - even tho they aren't judges, I find them to be a bit more strict than the judges I've come across so far, much like how I'd score myself. Even tho classes are totally different than the trials, I figured I'd go ahead and move up, rather than staying in Novice for 60 days, get some more practice off leash in the next few weeks in class, then by trial time, my jitters will be over. :thumbsup: Besides, its ME I mostly have to worry about, I'm convinced Grady could do the course if I wasn't even there! LOL
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 01:04:04 PM by Rubidawg »
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 02:42:21 PM »
Yes, Advanced A is correct for you.
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 05:22:55 PM »
Yep, non-Novice classes are all about what the DOG has done (only Novice cares about the handler, lol)... so Advanced A is correct.

Sounds like you are doing well and will have fun in Adv!
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05