Author Topic: Muzzle for boxers  (Read 7854 times)

Bers

• Most Underrated Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
Muzzle for boxers
« on: October 22, 2010, 07:11:16 PM »
This isn't actually a training or sporting question, but I thought the folks who are interested in those topics might be best to answer my question. Koda needs a muzzle for when he goes to the vet. Can anyone recommend a comfortable and safe muzzle for boxers? So far I think the only thing that will do is a wire basket muzzle, and this is the one my vet recommends:

http://www.dtdogcollars.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=DTM4light

He did go to the vet today without growling, what a good boy! :blush: But he's going in for surgery soon and I want something that will be safe and comfortable for him. Thanks friends!
Amber

Newcastle

• Most Informed Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • WHEEE!!!!!
    • Newcastle Boxers
Re: Muzzle for boxers
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 07:22:22 PM »
The Mikki muzzle is soft cloth and has a size made for Boxers - I've used one a few times and while the dogs don't love it, it doesn't seem to bother them too much.

http://www.jbpet.com/nylon-mikki-muzzle,1468.html

I like the Mikki kind because you can slip the dog small treats. PetEdge has a similar type with mesh covering the opening, which allows the dog to breath but of course you can't give treats.

http://www.petedge.com/product/Training-Control/Collars-Restraints/Muzzles-Animal-Control/Pro-Guard-Softie-Muzzles-for-Dogs/pc/196/c/305/sc/320/44005.uts
Jennifer Walker
Newcastle Boxers, Reg'd
Mind ~ Body ~ Spirit ~ Naturally

Visit the Boxer Crazy Store

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 07:46:49 PM »
I have used the Mikki type with Ollie.  I like it but that lil buggar sticks his leg in between his face & the muzzle, and I had to stop using it.
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Bers

• Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 09:47:35 PM »
That's the sort we've been looking at so far, the nylon kind. We've bought and returned three already, they just don't fit, even the "wide" ones made for short-nosed breeds. I'm really leaning more toward a basket muzzle, since they don't affect breathing or panting. I was hoping someone might have tried one of those kinds.
Amber

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 09:55:38 PM »
Not sure about the nylon ones either. I had one for Rubi a long time ago and even with her snout, it was a lil difficult. And like Claire...she'd get her paw caught up in there tryin to rip it off. Can't even remember why we needed/used it, but she's not been muzzled since. I'd be more apt to go with the wire one as well, but I've not had experience with it.

Koda OK? Sending lots of vibes for him tomorrow. Hope it's nothing serious.
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

Lisa

• Socialized
  • My pack, 5/27/12
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 10:05:09 PM »
I used the basket type on Brindie sometimes and it worked well, no restrictions on breathing/panting, even took her running with it on, and I could feed her small treats through it too.
Artax, male Retriever mix, 11/1/99
Koda, CGC RN TT AD, male brindle, 10/10/08
Mukki, CGC, female fawn, 4/20/10

Bers

• Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 10:30:28 PM »
Koda's okay, Dawn, thanks for asking! He's got a bad tooth, an epulus, and two little moles or skin tags that I want to have taken off. Just a lot of little things to be snipped off or removed one way or another. :laugh4: It's always something with these dogs! ::)
Amber

Bers

• Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 10:33:06 PM »
Okay guys, I just watched the little video on the page that I linked to above, and it is HILARIOUS! You gotta watch it!!! :laugh4:
Amber

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 10:43:39 PM »
ROFL I didn't even notice the vid before! :mad: Gotta love the sense of humor. Bet they did it cuz those muzzles look a bit more "intimidating" than others. "That is sooo Fetch!" "Dollar Dollar Watch My Dance Moves while I sit down!" LOL Cute.

Well glad it's nothing serious and sending him lotsa vibes tomorrow.
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

Christina

• Socialized
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 10:46:30 PM »
They had to muzzle Daisy one time at the vet and they used a cloth one that fit her ok, but I think a basket one may be better.  I have seen them used, but have not used them myself.  I have seen too many dogs slip out of the cloth ones. 

I'm glad it is nothing serious with Koda and I hope everything goes ok at the vet.  You are right, it is always something, that's why we love them  :smitten:
Christina
Little Ann 2/14/96-4/6/10
Boomer 1996- 4/25/14
Lucky 4/24/04-8/27/14