Author Topic: Help with my girls  (Read 1340 times)

poohtami

• Weanling
Help with my girls
« on: October 21, 2010, 11:31:28 AM »
Ok so I have 2 females, they are sisters, I have had them since they were 10 weeks old. They are now 2 & 1/2, up until Sunday morning they were best of friends we kenneled them together they did everything together. Well all of a sudden I let  them out of the kennel & on the way to let them outside Sophie tore into Chloe & started a huge fight. I am still having to keep them apart, they did get around each other once since the initial fight & that lasted about 5 minutes. Any ideas what i can do to get them back together? I should also mention they are neither fixed & I do have an older male who is 5 & is fixed. This is killing me to have to kennel one & keep one out, which I do make them take turns. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Tami

Christina

• Socialized
Re: Help with my girls
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 11:36:03 AM »
It could be that they are fighting to establish a dominance order.  I am not sure how to reintroduce them as it can be tricky sometimes, but wish you the best of luck.
Christina
Little Ann 2/14/96-4/6/10
Boomer 1996- 4/25/14
Lucky 4/24/04-8/27/14

whitepupzoe

• Most Supportive & Friendliest Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 11:51:34 AM »
I'm sorry, I have no advice. Maybe you should consult with a behaviorist or trainer. Good luck I hope you can get some answers.
Kristin ~ Mom to Abby & George

Always In My Heart ~ Angels Zoe & Ariel

rmkoruga

• Socialized
  • Rachel-owned by Leroy Brown 6/21/03
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 12:15:48 PM »
I don't really have any good advice either  :thumbsdown: but my parents had 2 female dogs that right about that age they started fighting like that so scary  :wreck: &  it would happen for no reason they would be totally fine & then just tear into eachother! I used to just keep a water squirt bottle nearby if inside or the hose outside & when I would squirt water on them it would startle them so as to break them up. I always hated it. luckily it didn't happen too often.
Rachel-
Leroy Brown 06/03

Missy/Precious mom

• Most Encouraging Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 12:43:48 PM »
No good answers here either.  Precious always had food issues so I had to stay between them when they ate.  When I came back from a week long business trip Missy started attacking Precious.  It was horrible.  Danielle moved in with her boyfriend with Missy.  Missy and Jack get along fabulously.  She has brought them both over occasionaly when she was walking them and they got along fine.  Precious played with Jake and Missy kind of ignored Precious.  They weren't raised together either.  Missy was 3 and Precious was 4 when I got her.  The big fight thing started about 2 months after they were both living here.
Joyce

Ginger

• Fully Weaned
  • Maggie Mae and Chloe
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 02:15:54 PM »
When my two females were alive they would fight occasionally, although they would stop when I yelled to stop.  Both grew up pretty much together, Temper was only 6 months old when we got Copper.  I do think it is a female dominance thing, and I am not sure how you can stop yours if they will not listen to you, but the water bottle usually works really well.   Can you muzzle them so you can have them out at the same time?  Might also help them figure out they will be muzzled if they don't play well together
Good luck

Ginger
Mom to Walker, Maggie Mae and the "Rat" pack Little Man, Chloe and Prissy Lee

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 02:53:08 PM »
Unfortunately, many times once 2 girls start fighting it can be impossible to stop the fighting - and have them get along again.

I would recommend that you keep them separate and look for a behaviourist or a trainer to consult with.
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 04:59:15 PM »
I was told: Males will fight and forget, females fight to the death...I agree about keeping them apart and consulting a behaviorist.

good luck
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Christina

• Socialized
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 08:30:50 PM »
I was told: Males will fight and forget, females fight to the death...

I have never heard this, but agree 100% I forgot to mention earlier, we had Little Ann and her sister, Sparky, they started fighting at about a year old and almost killed eachother any chance they got.  Females are silly sometimes when it comes to fighting and dominance orders. 
Christina
Little Ann 2/14/96-4/6/10
Boomer 1996- 4/25/14
Lucky 4/24/04-8/27/14

TobysMomma

• Vet Checked
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 09:35:57 PM »
Every situation is different of course but we have a policy in our rescue that we do not do female/female placements for just this reason.  Too often there comes a point where the two previously friendly females turn into bitter enemies and it can be extremely difficult to settle the issues without risking very serious injuries. 
Please Support Boxer Rescue
http://www.ncbr.org/ca/index.php
Lori Momma to Ajay, Bo and current foster girl Blanca
Toby and Ayla forever in my heart

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 10:07:46 PM »
I agree that consulting a behaviorist is the best next step.

It seems likely that they got along until now because they are now becoming sexually mature.  I recall hearing of similar issues where a same-sex pair were getting along great until one or both got to adulthood/maturity.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Lisa

• Socialized
  • My pack, 5/27/12
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 11:10:03 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about your girls suddenly not getting along.  Did you separate them during their initial fight?  I've read that, especially if they're in an open area where they can easily get away from each other, it's best to let them work it out and this is what I've done the few times Artax and Koda got into it, but of course you don't want to let them hurt each other.  Koda always quickly submits, his submissive body language gets Artax to stop trying to fight with him and pretty soon Koda's licking Artax's face and beaning at him.

Good luck, hope you get something worked out.  :fingerscrossed:

Every situation is different of course but we have a policy in our rescue that we do not do female/female placements for just this reason.  Too often there comes a point where the two previously friendly females turn into bitter enemies and it can be extremely difficult to settle the issues without risking very serious injuries.
This is why I never want to have two females at once.
Artax, male Retriever mix, 11/1/99
Koda, CGC RN TT AD, male brindle, 10/10/08
Mukki, CGC, female fawn, 4/20/10

poohtami

• Weanling
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 11:25:30 AM »
Thank you for all your replies & I was thinking about finding a behavourist, I live in a podunk town unfortunately, although we used to have one in our area named Erika Phillips I believe. But I think she ended up going to Europe. I was also curious if maybe now is a good time for them to be fixed & do any of you think that might help?

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2010, 11:57:14 AM »
It is my understanding that this may NOT help.  I would fix regardless unless you have a reason for keeping intact, but I do no think it will help from discussions I have had with others that had this issue.
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

TobysMomma

• Vet Checked
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 12:17:13 PM »
I find that typically it is more of an issue with establishing dominance, I would not count on spaying to have much impact it depends on so many things. Sometimes the issues can be managed sometimes one female will submit to the other after some snarling and 'discussions' and sometimes not. Also once it seems that dominance is established, it can be an issue that pops up over and over. I think alot depends on the personalities/temperments of the two and just how determined one or both are to be boss and how far they will take it. Sometimes the issues are triggered by food aggression or resource guarding and can be managed by knowing the triggers and avoiding them.

It would be ideal if you could have a behaviorist come in and evaluate their behavior first hand and advise you but if that is not possible could you consult with one via email or phone conversation? Also I have to mention...if you do go this route be very choosy with the trainer/behaviorist you select and try to get multiple referrals.   
Please Support Boxer Rescue
http://www.ncbr.org/ca/index.php
Lori Momma to Ajay, Bo and current foster girl Blanca
Toby and Ayla forever in my heart