Author Topic: First or Last?  (Read 846 times)

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
First or Last?
« on: October 17, 2010, 10:14:27 PM »
Just wondering....when competing....do you like to be first into the ring, or last? Or somewhere in the middle?

Our first trial...We were the last dog to go the 1st day, and the 2nd to last dog on the 2nd day. I kinda liked it, as it gave me a chance to watch the others, see how they were doing and a chance to breathe and get some nerves out.

Got my list for the trial this coming weekend and we're #2 on the 1st day and #1 on the 2nd day! :o Atleast Novice B goes before us, so I'll still be able to see them work the cones (Novice B was after us in the last trial), so maybe it won't feel so much like going 1st. But I kinda threw up in my mouth a lil bit at the thought of going 1st in our group. LOL I know when we went last, I wasn't so judgemental on how we did, since we saw the other dogs first and I kinda got an idea of what to do/what not to do, and wasn't so worried about..."ugh, they did that better than us." It was more like, "OK Grady,  we won't do it that way, ok!" LOL So now that I'll be seeing everyone in our class go after me, and knowing how much I critque myself....I know that's all I'm going to be doing. I'll be even harder on myself on our performance afterwards.  :thumbsdown:

Oddly enough, our trainer put us in first in the lineup for class this week too (we are usually 2nd or 3rd to last), so maybe it will be good practice, lol.

So just curious....do you prefer being amongst the first, or towards the last?
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: First or Last?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 06:04:39 PM »
I think going last has some universal advantages - you can watch the judge and see how they score, where they stand, how they examine the dog (in Obed) and see how the course flows (in Rally).   

Going first has some specific advantages for me and Xena - less time means I can't overthink it, less chance of Xena getting stressed by something at the show site, etc.   Although my stress level, at least, has gotten better as I've gained experience.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Sophia Sadeyes

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 09:44:43 PM »
I hate going first! For some reason Sophia and I always end up going first in agility esp in Jumpers. Prob because we are Ex B and 24". Another reason I HATE ...  they always seems to put jumpers first thing in the AM so we run at 7AM and are the FIRST FIRST dog to go. Ugh. I don't function that well that early.  ::)
Sophia: CGC, OAJ, 05.05.06
Strummer: CGC, OA, AXJ  02.20.08

Rubidawg

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 10:00:03 PM »
OMG Jill....I'd be like "run? you serious?" Not unless I'm runnin to the coffee maker!

Not sure how I'll feel about going first, altho like I said, this really isn't technically going first, since Novice B goes before us. I don't think I'll be nervous (I was pretty calm at our first trial), but it will be the after effects of watching every dog go after us that I know will eat me up. LOL So we'll see. Good experience nontheless, but if they asked me to show up and be ready to go at 7am...I'd have to sleep there overnight...literally, in the ring! lol
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 10:19:24 PM by Rubidawg »
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

Samsons Mom

• Most Improved Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Sir-samps-a-lot :)
    • Samson's Therapy Dog Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 10:15:36 PM »
Hate going first. I prefer somewhere in the middle, so I can study the course(and judge).
Keri, owned by- Samson, CGC, Therapy Dog(7/08)

BranwenBoxers

• Canine Good Citizen
  • " Branwen's Eastern Sea " Millie
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 10:21:06 PM »
Me too even though it was  conformation classes   ;)     .   I like being in the middle that way I can see what the judge wants to see. 

You will do great Dawn , Grady will pull ya through it .  He is a smart boy  ;)  .  Keep me posted  :yes:
Heather
Branwen Boxers
www.BranwenBoxers.com

Rubidawg

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 10:25:46 PM »
LOL Heather, I tell ya...he could probably do the course better without me there - I have this thing about reading...I don't. LOL The instructors laugh at me every class cuz I forget to actually look at the signs! :laugh4: They're always like, "Dawn, did you actually read that sign?" I'm always like, "yeh...but I thought it was just a suggestion and I could do it anyway I wanted!" :laugh4:

This is definitely for any sport....agility, obedience, conformation, etc....just had to put it here since it was easier, lol.
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02

Lisa

• Socialized
  • My pack, 5/27/12
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 02:19:00 AM »
I definitely prefer going near the end.  That way I get to watch the other competitors, help notice any tricky spots on a rally course and have some idea of how high we need to score to place before we start.  Also, then it's not long after we're done that we know the placings and (hopefully) get our ribbons, not a lot of waiting for other dogs to finish to find out how we did compared to the others.

One disadvantage of going late is, one day at Koda's rally show a previous competitor defecated on a mat in the middle of the course.  I was worried that Koda would want to stop there and sniff around but they apparently cleaned it up well enough that he just walked on by.
Artax, male Retriever mix, 11/1/99
Koda, CGC RN TT AD, male brindle, 10/10/08
Mukki, CGC, female fawn, 4/20/10

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 08:38:59 AM »
I don't really mind either way for obedience/rally - since you know what has to be done - but for agility I don't like being the first dog on the day, as I think that watching other teams run can give you some ideas and an opportunity to see areas that can cause problems.
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."