Author Topic: Training the dog who will never compete  (Read 1339 times)

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Training the dog who will never compete
« on: October 15, 2010, 06:05:39 PM »
So a long time ago, I posted about Dash watching Xena and I do dumbbell work and pulling a little monkey-see, monkey-do: http://www.boxercrazy.org/forum/boxer-chat/smart-puppies!/  -- just in the last month or so, I've been kicking into gear on Xena's dumbbell training and decided I was going to teach it to Dash too.  We'll probably never be able to do it outside our yard (or maybe even the house) but I figured experience teaching two very different dogs the same skill is helpful.  :thumbsup:

Tonight, my smarty boy struck again when I was working on Xena's drop on recall.  At this stage, I stand in front of her, call her as I step backwards, give the drop command and signal, then take a couple steps back while she stays in place. I'm partway through the sequence when suddenly he appears beside her and flattens himself as I give the command.  My "working" dog just couldn't stand to hold his stay while Xena got to do all the work!  :smitten:

Also, I've been using the "get in" command during dumbbell work w/Xena and started using it with Dash out of habit - after only a couple sessions, he'll whip himself right around to get in to heel position when I say it!  :yes: 

So given all this, I figure I'll at very least include Dash in all my home training sessions.  He just loves to work and since I haven't been able to get him back into agility classes, I need to give him *something* to do!  :mad:
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
Re: Training the dog who will never compete
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 06:34:18 PM »
That's awesome! Monkey See Monkey Do! Rubi is this way to some degree. She always wants to be part of my training sessions with Grady. Last night, I had the cones out, working in the backyard while Rubi sat by the door whining each time Grady got a treat. So afterwards, I brought her out and we did some serpentines, some turns, etc., and she was VERY happy about that. Even tho she's gone thru obedience (basic, intermediate and advanced), I try to remember that she likes to have that special time with me too and try to include her as much as I can. And even tho she's never done Rally, I was quite impressed with how eager she was to try it, going around the cones, etc - which I thought she'd be a lil freaked out over. But for her, I think she'll work as hard as she can when chicken treats are involved. LOL But it is great experience to work with different dogs who have different learning curves. It's neat to see how you can get 2 different dogs to work towards the same goal, by trying different things to find what works best for them. Every dog is different.

I had a convo at class on Wednesday with a guy who came up to me to tell me how impressed he is with Grady. I laughed and said, "yeh, he can be a real pickle sometimes, but that's what makes it fun." That's what I like about boxers, in general....I've worked with GSDs and collies....they were too easy. If I wanted easy, I'd get a Golden, lol. (which he had one...oops!) But told him that it's sucha great experience to work with different breeds, but even working with 2 different dogs of the same breeds....I think it  helps you to be more well-rounded in your training methods and teaches you to work with the individual dog better.
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

Lisa

• Socialized
  • My pack, 5/27/12
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 01:09:44 PM »
 :thumbsup:  Go Dash!  That's great.  Maybe you will be able to compete with him eventually even.
Artax, male Retriever mix, 11/1/99
Koda, CGC RN TT AD, male brindle, 10/10/08
Mukki, CGC, female fawn, 4/20/10

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 03:32:58 PM »
Well, I'm not pinning my hopes on it, but maybe someday age/maturity will balance out the lack of socialization enough that we could do something in a ring somewhere.  He is showing improvement when it comes to small amounts of stimulus (either something mild up close or something exciting but far off) but he's still far from being a dog you could take ringside.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

Boxermom,K

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 12:23:10 PM »
I think it's really good for dogs to get that kind of training even if they will never do competition. It still gives them a "job" and it just strengthens/reinforces the human/animal bond that you have with your dog.
I have trained many of my dogs for things that they will never do in actual competition.

Bubba 12/30/00 - 10/29/07
Kristi
Mom to Laila CGC- 9 year old fawn, Viktor CGC, TDI- 7 year old heeler mix

Lisa

• Socialized
  • My pack, 5/27/12
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 02:59:34 PM »
I think it's really good for dogs to get that kind of training even if they will never do competition. It still gives them a "job" and it just strengthens/reinforces the human/animal bond that you have with your dog.
I have trained many of my dogs for things that they will never do in actual competition.
:thumbsup:  I agree, and do training sessions with Artax even though he'll never compete.  He knows almost all the stuff Koda does and some Koda doesn't.  He has some similar issues to Dash, being very dominant (to the point of not really being safe in public, at least not when he's around me because he gets too jealous and protective -- I think he could pass a CGC test if someone else were handling him, but not with me) and not paying attention to me in distracting situations or when he just wants to do something else, and he's very smart so it's difficult to "trick" him into doing what I want and make it seem like he wanted it all along.  He does love to learn though and I think it reinforces the "pack bond" when they all get training sessions, and sometimes I do group sessions with two or three of them at once, which gets them to compete, trying to do better than each other and get more treats.  Keeping his mind active and learning new things can only help at his age too.

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 04:47:43 PM »
Yeah, Dash isn't quite that tricky, it's just that excitement easily overloads his brain to the point where he can't really hear you anymore.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

3BOXERS

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 12:01:41 AM »
Training is good for him. Even if he never gets to compete.

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 09:41:29 AM »
I think it is great that you are working Dash too  :thumbsup:   I think it is good for them, even if you don't plan to compete.
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 09:45:35 AM »
I work with mine all the time, and I don't compete.  It is just fun working with them.  But, I seriously am thinking of taking the Wooster into OB and Agility...now if only I had someone to do the work.  That is the only thing holding me back...and that is me!
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 05:44:37 PM »
Sorry, I didn't mean for people to misunderstand, it isn't that I don't train him - I've been training him the whole time.  But it was only recently that he's shown me that he's eager to learn the skills I'm working on with Xena, which are at a different level of difficulty and precision than his "good manners" sit, stays, come, tricks, etc.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 05:17:20 PM »
I just wanted to add to this, lol. I decided that Grady needs work on his rear end awareness. He's been slipping a lil, so I decided to work with him today to start making it a lil more precise. We had worked before with a ladder, but I decided to try the "book" method today. I used the lid to their food bin and he picked up very quickly what I wanted him to do. Rubi was VERY eager to get up and try, I kept putting her on her bed in a down/stay, while Grady figured out stepping on the lid (its raised about 3 inches). So, after he kinda "got it" and after Rubi getting up several times to try, I put him on the bed in a down/stay and let Rubi give it a whirl. She also picked up very quickly on it, getting her front paws up there after a couple of tries. Then quickly figured out using her back legs to move around, which is already difficult for her to do. So after that, I alternated. Would work Grady a lil bit, then switch and work Rubi. She was just having a blast, like showing Grady, "hey bud! i can do this too ya know!" LOL I didn't want to overdo it with her because of her legs, but she sure had fun and it was nothing she had ever experienced before. When I put the lid back on the food bin, she was the first to walk over and paw at it. lol

It almost became like a competition between the two. When I put one down, the other quickly got up and put their front paws right on the lid, without me even asking. Almost as if, "ok my turn!" Too cute.
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

Lisa

• Socialized
  • My pack, 5/27/12
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 09:38:24 PM »
It almost became like a competition between the two.
:thumbsup:  The same thing happens when I train my dogs together; each one tries to do better and get more rewards than the others.  If one even hears me issue a command to another dog in another room or outside they'll come running and do what I said.  I'm working on getting them to do down stays side by side and calling them to me one at a time.  No success with that yet.  They both come running when I call just one so far and it's hard to correct one when the other is doing right.