Author Topic: Maybe silly question about holter monitoring  (Read 2112 times)

Christina

• Socialized
Maybe silly question about holter monitoring
« on: October 15, 2010, 09:05:57 AM »
Should I be holtering my babies?  They have never had one done.  Daisy will be 6 on Saturday, Star will be 4 in January, he has a heart murmur...he has had an echo that turned out good.  Lucky is 6ish to be our best guess, he also has a murmur and has had an echo, which was clear.

I just notice that you guys are using holter monitors and wondering if I should be doing this on my guys as well
Christina
Little Ann 2/14/96-4/6/10
Boomer 1996- 4/25/14
Lucky 4/24/04-8/27/14

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • "No Pressure, no diamonds"-Mary Case
    • Getting Evan
Re: Maybe silly question about holter monitoring
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 09:12:08 AM »
I don't know how much value it would be to you...since you already know that they have murmurs and echos.  It might be worth it to see that the conditions aren't getting worse.

I am doing Peanut and Beas because I don't know if they have any conditions.  I do know that Peanut is hetero for ARVC.
Mom to:
Beasley (flashy fawn male) born 11/15/2005
Peanut (classic brindle female) born 2/15/2009
Evan (two legged brunette male) born 4/20/2011

Christina

• Socialized
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 11:41:05 AM »
Thank you for explaining some.  I hate to say it is all confusing to me. 

I do know that Peanut is hetero for ARVC.

So is there a genetic test for the genes that cause it, or going by parents?  Should it be done and how expensive is it? 

Another question...should I do the DM genetic test on my guys with no symptoms? 

Sorry for all the questions today, just thinking a lot  :blush:
Christina
Little Ann 2/14/96-4/6/10
Boomer 1996- 4/25/14
Lucky 4/24/04-8/27/14

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Getting Evan
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 11:55:44 AM »
It was a genetic test I did on Peanut (and Beas).  The testing results are still preliminary and Dr. Muers thinks that there must be other genes that are required to express ARVC since a lot of dogs that are homozygous for ARVC genes have had clear heart testing. 

Whether to do DM testing is another one of those tricky questions.  I did DM testing on Beas and he was homo for DM...again....that doesn't mean he'll get it but that he's at risk.  Now that I know he's homo for DM I can keep an eye out of the symptoms and ensure that I don't do things that would increase his risk. 
Mom to:

LittleMatixMeatface

• Just Whelped
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 12:01:05 PM »
There is genetic testing available for ARVC(arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy). I know Washington State conducts the test on this side of the country. I'm not sure who else you could have this test run through. It's $60- Your vet draws the blood, and you send it in with the paperwork you print offline.

Like, Theresa said, I would think the most beneficial thing about holter monitoring in your case, would be to know if there was any progression. You could have it done yearly to see if there is an increase in PVCs and if there is how much of an increase. That might be a good indicator to you how quickly it's progressing.

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Getting Evan
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 01:07:12 PM »
There is genetic testing available for ARVC(arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy). I know Washington State conducts the test on this side of the country. I'm not sure who else you could have this test run through. It's $60- Your vet draws the blood, and you send it in with the paperwork you print offline.

You can also do a cheek swab test instead of having the vet draw blood (the important thing to remember with the cheek swabs is to spin the brush (I kinda folded the jowl around it like a taco and spun the swab).
Mom to:

Newcastle

• Most Informed Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • WHEEE!!!!!
    • Newcastle Boxers
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 10:52:05 AM »
For non-breeding dogs (unless the breeder is collecting information), I wouldn't bother with the ARVC DNA test (though one could do it to add to the research data). Dogs with the mutation may or may not get ARVC, and dogs without the mutation may or may not get ARVC. The DM test may give you peace of mind, but DM is not an early-onset disease nor does it cause sudden death. If the dog has fewer than two copies of the mutation, however, you can at least know it's not likely to develop DM.

I'm on the fence about holters for non-breeding dogs. On the one hand, it does give you a baseline and can potentially track development of ARVC, since it can occur at any time. On the other hand, I think most of the time cardiologists don't medicate until the dog is showing outward signs of ARVC, so I'm not sure if knowing the dog has thousands of VPCs that don't affect it in any way is worthwhile or not. If the previous holter was normal, I'd say every two years is probably adequate for non-breeding dogs as long as there are no other signs of the disease.
Jennifer Walker
Newcastle Boxers, Reg'd
Mind ~ Body ~ Spirit ~ Naturally

Visit the Boxer Crazy Store