Author Topic: Cowboy is a humperdink maniac!  (Read 1083 times)

boxer pal

• Most Enthusiastic Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Cowboy is a humperdink maniac!
« on: October 14, 2010, 04:10:36 PM »
Is it okay to ask for advise for a non-boxer.  He MIGHT have some boxer in him, along with wolf hound, is the latest best guess.   ;D
Anyway, Cowboy is a BIG dog!  Stands about 30-32 inches at the withers and weighs 120lbs.!  He's an awesome dog but one behavior came out that Nate and Steph hadn't seen, only read about when we were visiting with our dogs.  He gets totally insane about humping!   :o  He gets really insistant and focused and he's so STRONG!  When he'd grab either of my dogs, (especially Hogan) it was hard to get him to release them! 
The inmate who trained Cowboy had written in Cowboys notes that he had a problem with humping but the kids had never seen it before and they have had a few friends over with neutered male dogs with no humping.
After the first day of our visit, Cowboy went into full on monotonous hump mode!  We would redirect him and in 2 minutes he'd be back at it.  He seemed to have no preference who he was humping either!
It didn't take long before Onyx would whirl and snap at him and he did back off!  :thumbsup:  After a couple of days of that he finally stopped being so persistant, but he'd still try it once in a while.
Hogan learned to just collapse onto the ground/floor to get away from it. 

Do you think it was a terratorial/dominance thing or did the fact that Hogan is not neutered make it worse?  Nate and Steph really want to stop this behavior once and for all so they don't have to worry about him doing it when their friends come over.
Sue Q.
Hogan b. 6/1/10 our brindle baby boy
Onyx b.5/1/07 my dark beauty
my heart, my love, my joy. Rudy b. 9/06 d.5/10 
my mahogany girl Romy b.11/03 d.2/10
Abe, our first & best. b.3/97 d.5/08

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Cowboy is a humperdink maniac!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 10:27:42 PM »
Not sure how to stop it, but I don't think Hogan being intact would change things because Hogan's still pretty young. He's not even 6mos, right? So he wouldn't really be pumping out the hormones yet.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

boxer pal

• Most Enthusiastic Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 10:59:40 PM »
Yeah, I really don't think Hogan being intact made Cowboy unleash his hump a mania either.  They have had Cowboy about six weeks.  I just wonder if all the excitement of having not one visitor but two, on his newly owned turf got him way too aroused?  He was generally very amiable with both my dogs but his fixation with humping got old after a while.
Sue Q.
Hogan b. 6/1/10 our brindle baby boy
Onyx b.5/1/07 my dark beauty
my heart, my love, my joy. Rudy b. 9/06 d.5/10 
my mahogany girl Romy b.11/03 d.2/10
Abe, our first & best. b.3/97 d.5/08

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 11:25:12 PM »
Yeah, I really don't think Hogan being intact made Cowboy unleash his hump a mania either.  They have had Cowboy about six weeks.  I just wonder if all the excitement of having not one visitor but two, on his newly owned turf got him way too aroused?  He was generally very amiable with both my dogs but his fixation with humping got old after a while.
I think you hit the nail on the head here. I bet he was just over excited, tryin to adjust to his new territory, just starting to get comfie and boom...2 new dogs come around, so he's gotta try to figure out where he stands. I woulda kept doing what you did....continue to redirect him. He would obviously need to be worked on this quite a bit, won't change overnight kinda thing. And if it got too outta control, I'd leash him so he wouldn't be able to do it, then after he calmed down...let him off leash again. Grady humped Rubi quite a bit when she first met him. But then as soon as we got him home, she started the humping and he backed off. Took some work for her to finally let up - which was weird...she never humped before, she was always the one being humped, lol. But I bet the more they can get Cowboy around other dogs and the more opportunity they have to work with him, as well as him getting more adjusted to his new environment, they'd be able to stop it.

Guess ya just need to go back and visit again, eh? LOL
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 06:49:37 AM »
When we first got Goofy :angel:  he humped EVERYTHING, and in particular Hailey :angel: ...with consistency in telling him no he quit. At least I like to think that is why he did.  Maybe he just out grew it???
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Missy/Precious mom

• Most Encouraging Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 09:41:38 AM »
Jake humps Missy all the time when he wants to play.  She just ignores him until she gets tired of it and then she throws him down and growls at him.  He'll leave her alone then.
Joyce

Eilene

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 03:08:04 PM »
My daughters 3 boxers hump..I noticed that now chicklet humps too...
Eilene
Nala, Luna
Forever in my heart Amber,Bailey,Chicklet,Tequila

Lisa

• Socialized
  • My pack, 5/27/12
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 07:03:33 PM »
I had never seen Koda hump another dog until I took him and Mukki to the beach to meet with Kenesha/Eurobox, her and her sister's Boxers, total of nine Boxers playing on the beach, and then he suddenly went hump crazy.  I was pulling him off and telling him no but could tell from the spaced out, glazed look in his eyes that he wasn't hearing me and would go hump again as soon as he got the chance.  He was very excited to have so many friendly playmates especially the GIRLS.  So I think excitement about being around new dogs can definitely get dogs to hump.  Good luck getting it stopped.  I hope Koda settles down more next time we're out playing with another large group of dogs.
Artax, male Retriever mix, 11/1/99
Koda, CGC RN TT AD, male brindle, 10/10/08
Mukki, CGC, female fawn, 4/20/10