Author Topic: over protective  (Read 2733 times)

dlane1979

• Fully Weaned
over protective
« on: October 12, 2010, 11:06:24 AM »
my boxer rex is an awesome dog he has 1 major issue. Hes extreamly over protective of my 7 year old son. to the point i cant let him go on walks with the boxer because he trys to attack people that get close to my son. any suggestions on how to break this. When im out with my wife or alone hes a big puppy and lets people pet him butt wiggling all the cute boxer traits we all love but with my son strangers think hes a demon dog lol

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
Re: over protective
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 12:44:53 PM »
Interesting...a boxer IS protective of his family but this seems extreme.
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • "No Pressure, no diamonds"-Mary Case
    • Getting Evan
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 01:16:57 PM »
Peanut is overprotective of me (towards other dogs) but we are working that by taking her to Petco and having me keep her under control while other dogs walk around/near us.  I would do something similar.  You keep keep Rex under control, praising him and treating him while he remains calm when your son is near other people
Mom to:
Beasley (flashy fawn male) born 11/15/2005
Peanut (classic brindle female) born 2/15/2009
Evan (two legged brunette male) born 4/20/2011

WildBeanerz

• Canine Good Citizen
  • Macie
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 02:13:57 PM »
Maybe have your son do an obedience class with him. That way your boxer will learn that your son is in control and he doesn't have to guard him so seriously.

April - mom of
Bones RIP big guy 11.04.10 :angel:
Macie 8 yrs brindle female
Chloe 11.19.09 fawn female
Love my rescue

Missy/Precious mom

• Most Encouraging Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 03:44:23 PM »
Maybe have your son do an obedience class with him. That way your boxer will learn that your son is in control and he doesn't have to guard him so seriously.
I think that is a great idea.
Joyce

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 05:56:01 PM »
Honestly, if Rex is really acting THAT out of control, I would recommend seeing a certified animal behaviorist (which is not the same thing as a dog trainer who deals w/behavior issues).

I also think getting your son involved in training (in non-threatening situations) may help.  Having a dog that obeys all members of the family is a good thing even without a behavior problem.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

dlane1979

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 06:46:19 PM »
Thanks for the advice I will try it the behavorist will have to wait i was laid off so that kind of money I dont have right now lol. The training class i can squeeze  for the betterment of my dog I look at my dogs as 4 legged furry kids that talk funny so i meet there needs like i would my son lol

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 07:02:07 PM »
You may want to look into behaviorists in your area before you decide it's too much - around here, a consult with a behaviorist (eval the dog, lay out a plan for you to modify the behavior) costs the same as a session of classes.  Since the classes are more about "manners" than behavior, and you seem more worried about behavior, the consult would probably be more "bang for your buck".
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

dlane1979

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 12:09:38 AM »
thanks

dlane1979

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 10:57:21 AM »
wanted to let you guys know. My rexy with alot of work seems to be calming down. What i had to to first was get him to know his commands solid sit, stay and leave it. when im out with my son and the boxer when a stranger gets close and he starts to growl I give him the leave it command and make him heel (I also clicker trained him which helps get his attention on me instead of the target lol). Then I ask the stranger to let my son walk up and shake there hand after few weeks of that the boxer seems to be calming down. He still very tense with strangers around my son but he no longer growls and lunges if they get to close he just eyeballs them and puts himself between them and my son. I just watch him like a hawk and when he focuses on the person i give him leave it command get his attention off them and on me. seems to be working slowly lol

BranwenBoxers

• Canine Good Citizen
  • " Branwen's Eastern Sea " Millie
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 10:56:17 AM »
Glad to see that he is getting better  :thumbsup:
Heather
Branwen Boxers
www.BranwenBoxers.com

WildBeanerz

• Canine Good Citizen
  • Macie
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 10:21:47 AM »
Glad to see that he is getting better! :thumbsup: Once you are done with the strict training you will find that you have such a happier life with him when he already knows what is expected of him in situations and you aren't always on guard. Good work!!

April - mom of
Love my rescue

dlane1979

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 10:39:25 AM »
Now if i could just get him and my pitbull to stop wrestling in the house life would be perfect. I live in a small house and dont have the room for them to horse around, THey dont fight its just normal wrestling which out in the yard i dont care but in the house people get toppled over lol.

WildBeanerz

• Canine Good Citizen
  • Macie
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 10:41:43 AM »
LOL ... I think that will be a life long battle. Same as my son running in the house. Constantly!

Maybe when they start rough housing, if it is a time that is suitable, let them outside for that. Otherwise try redirecting them to a chew toy or something. Good luck with that one!  :thumbsup:

April - mom of
Love my rescue

dlane1979

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2010, 10:58:53 AM »
Ive had multiple dogs ever since i can remember and its always a battle getting them to not rough house inside lol expecially when there young neither one of my boys are 2 years old yet. I usually redirect them give them commands to do something to make them think and keep there attention on me and not each other, but when im on a  business call or have company over its not always a good time for me to sit there and make them sit stay lay ect lol