Author Topic: Lunging  (Read 678 times)

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
Lunging
« on: September 24, 2010, 10:00:12 AM »
Wednesday night, we had our first Rally Advanced class. Grady did well, but I kept him on leash...and I'm glad I did.
We were running short on time to get thru the practice "run-thru" ring, so we were sharing the ring with 2 other dogs. During one of the exercises, we're doing our thing right as another dog crosses in front of us to do their sign. Grady lunged right for the dog. I don't think it was in an aggressive way, just in his "ooohhh, I wanna play with you way." I had his attention up to the very second he looked and lunged. Happened so fast, but I'm so glad I had him on leash, as I don't know what woulda happened if I didn't.

He tried it a couple of other times in the other "practice" ring where we were working on new signs with a border collie that was laying there.

Like I said, I don't think it was aggressive, just Grady being his pushy self and trying to engage the dog to play. But it's obviously something I've got to work on - especially if we ever make it to "Honor" ACK!! Don't know why he's doing it, don't know what's causing him to do it, and don't know what his true intentions are in doing it since I can get him back with a very sharp "ACK NO!!!" and he's back to focus on me again. It just happens outta nowhere - he must see this dog in the corner of his eye, cuz he's looking at me then BOOM! lunging towards the other dog.

I don't know if it was just the excitement of being back in class or what, but he's done similar things in the past that I felt we had worked through. Maybe it's just a bit of regressing, but this time....it's much stronger than it ever was before - if that makes any sense.

Any suggestions on breaking this habit? I can work with him on the side of the ring while we're waiting our turn, and I do. I use constant treats to keep his focus if another dog is coming by, and lots of praise. He does really well on the side of the ring and has stopped trying to wander off to see other dogs and keeps his eyes right on me if another dog passes by. Guess I just need to keep treating in the ring as well, til I know he's 100% off this habit? But any other thoughts? Since I don't want him doing it period for the purposes of training/competing....but I don't want this to develop into an aggressive or out of control behavior.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 10:04:08 AM by Rubidawg »
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
Re: Lunging
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 06:55:12 PM »
I think the only thing is for you to be hyper-vigilant in scenarios like this so you can nip it in the bud. In future if you are on the rally course with multiple others dog (actually great distraction training) then just work really hard to make sure you have his attention whenever another dog comes anywhere near you - and give him lots of treats for paying attention to you and ignoring the other dog.
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 10:38:51 PM »
I might see if the trainer or classmates would be willing to work with you in ways that don't interfere w/class.  Like a classmate with a non-reactive dog doing some heeling around near you and Grady while you are both waiting for your turn during run-thrus. Or ask them to stand really close outside the ring when you are doing your own run through.

If you do deliberate proofing like that with him, I'd make sure you set him up for success by having the helper start at a distance you feel certain he'd succeed at then work on moving closer very slowly.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 11:31:27 PM »
Thanks ladies. I definitely see where we need to work. It's funny, he is quick to pick up the commands...like backing up 3 steps, he's done really well with, caught on very quickly even tho I've worked with him on that before and he always sat instead of staying in position....teaching him in class, he got it quickly. Even doing the 180 pivots to heal, he caught on quickly. So, now I've learned that new commands aren't the real challenge....it's getting him used to the other dogs around him. Like I said, he's totally focussed til he catches that dog in the corner of his eye, then BOOM!, then back to focus. So, I think with a bit more understanding of what I need to work on, and better ways/working harder to getting him there, we might stand a better chance at getting thru this. So I appreciate the advice and will totally do whatever it takes.

Julia, funny you mention that, I considered it. We got an email this evening that she's going to break us up into groups to help get thru class without rushing like this past week, so I think that will be a good opportunity for us to try to work on the sidelines as much as we can. I may even ask if we could be a "stand in" honor dog so it gives me more opportunity to work him while other dogs are also working as well. (perhaps after a few classes and we've been able to work on it a bit more)
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12