Author Topic: What sport maybe best for Star?  (Read 1589 times)

Christina

• Socialized
What sport maybe best for Star?
« on: July 22, 2010, 08:28:00 PM »
Star is extremely active and crazy...what boxer isn't, right  :boing: all the time!  The thing is, he is 3.5 years old and has had bilateral TPLOs, has arthritis in his knees, some HD, and horrible spondylosis (I know this is a boxer thing, but his is extensive). 

I thought about agility with him until he tore his knees and developed the arthritis, but should I rule it out?  What other sports could he have fun with, but not hurt himself doing? 

He did well in obedience, one on one with the trainer, but he can be bull headed sometimes too  :wall:
Christina
Little Ann 2/14/96-4/6/10
Boomer 1996- 4/25/14
Lucky 4/24/04-8/27/14

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
Re: What sport maybe best for Star?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 09:19:56 PM »
What about tracking? A lot of walking involved but no jumping.
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

Samsons Mom

• Most Improved Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Sir-samps-a-lot :)
    • Samson's Therapy Dog Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 09:37:14 PM »
Rally OB and Therapy dog work :yes:
Keri, owned by- Samson, CGC, Therapy Dog(7/08)

Boxermom,K

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 11:48:23 PM »
With the knees and arthritis I would stick with some rally and maybe some generalized fun matches. Agility is going to be awfully taxing on his body and it may cause health problems for him sooner rather than later. A lot of local dog clubs will have fun matches that have a variety of agility, obedience and rally events that might be a lot of fun for you and him and a great outlet for his energy.

Bubba 12/30/00 - 10/29/07
Kristi
Mom to Laila CGC- 9 year old fawn, Viktor CGC, TDI- 7 year old heeler mix

Christina

• Socialized
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 11:15:14 AM »
There aren't really any local dog clubs that I am aware of close to home.  I am close to Auburn, Alabama.  Is the AKC website the way to start, or are there better sources for local places for Rally and getting him certified for therapy work?

I didn't think about therapy dog work, he would love that, he is great with kids  :smitten: 

Thank you so much!
Christina
Little Ann 2/14/96-4/6/10
Boomer 1996- 4/25/14
Lucky 4/24/04-8/27/14

Missy/Precious mom

• Most Encouraging Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 11:26:42 AM »
There aren't really any local dog clubs that I am aware of close to home.  I am close to Auburn, Alabama.  Is the AKC website the way to start, or are there better sources for local places for Rally and getting him certified for therapy work?

I didn't think about therapy dog work, he would love that, he is great with kids  :smitten: 

Thank you so much!
PM Keri Samson's mom and she can tell you all about Therapy Dogs.  Samson is a therapy dog.
Joyce

Boxermom,K

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 10:06:06 AM »

There are several groups that help with training and certification for therapy work- www.deltasociety.org (Bubba :angel: and I were certified through them for about 4 years or so)  www.therapydogs.com  www.tdi-dog.org  Check the websites for activities, seminars or testers in your state.

Check on the AKC website for dog clubs, you can also check with any animal shelter or vet clinics in your area- sometimes they have info about area dog clubs.

Bubba 12/30/00 - 10/29/07
Kristi
Mom to Laila CGC- 9 year old fawn, Viktor CGC, TDI- 7 year old heeler mix

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 10:39:41 AM »
You could search for "dog training club" and include the name of some towns and/or counties closest to you. There is probably a training club with an hour or two at least - might not be ideal for taking classes, but they might be able to refer you to private trainers or tell you more about what is offered locally.

Given his condition, I'd say tracking and therapy are probably the best options. Rally doesn't have that much jumping, but there is a lot of turning both directions and that may be difficult with his Spondy.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

LittleMatixMeatface

• Just Whelped
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 03:57:34 PM »
Tracking is a good idea......Is Star food motivated? You could give Nose/Scent Work a try also. Very minimal obedience required, minimal joint stress, and it's a lot of fun to watch them work.

http://www.nacsw.net/