Author Topic: Cat chasing  (Read 1307 times)

whitepupzoe

• Most Supportive & Friendliest Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Cat chasing
« on: August 30, 2010, 02:15:07 PM »
So George is really bad with our cats. When he sees one of them he charges them, corners them and then starts trying to box them and do god knows what else to them.  He doesn't take their not so subtle hints of hissing, swatting and spitting and just keeps on bothering them.

How do I get him to "play nice" and not try to pummel them every time he sees them?  He can be in a dead sleep but as soon as they walk by, the chase is on!  :smash:
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 02:21:41 PM by whitepupzoe »
Kristin ~ Mom to Abby & George

Always In My Heart ~ Angels Zoe & Ariel

rmkoruga

• Socialized
  • Rachel-owned by Leroy Brown 6/21/03
Re: Cat chasing
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 02:41:10 PM »
Leroy used to be HORRIBLE with the cat too, I think it will just take a little time now him & the cat are fine in the house & will even sleep together on the bed with me. BUT if they are both outside the chase is on even though Leroy knows its our cat  :brood: Sorry I guess I really don't have any good advise....
Rachel-
Leroy Brown 06/03

Sir Duke

• Potty Trained
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 02:42:46 PM »
Our cats are not used to Duke yet and he is 15 months old.  Spike is really bad at chasing the cats too. I try to use the "leave it" command. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

It's just to tempting when they run.. I think it's the cats fault! ;D

TyTyB

• Vet Checked
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 02:49:36 PM »
We have the same problem with Tyson Kristin.  But I blame Tigger.  He purposely antagonizes Tyson, prancing back and forth in front of him, staring at him.  Then when he runs by, Tyson can't help but jump off and run after him and the game is on!  Then Tigger acts so put out with the dog and we're yelling at Tyson, "NO!  Leave Kitty alone!"  ::)  I think kitty's are just evil when it comes to tormenting puppies.  :devilish:
-Sheree
Owned by Tyson

Samsons Mom

• Most Improved Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Sir-samps-a-lot :)
    • Samson's Therapy Dog Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 02:50:42 PM »
Poor George just wants to play and the kitty is just taunting him! Does kitty have a safe place to go away from the dogs?

Samson isnt good with cats, probably cause hes never around them. But its impossible to stay at my friends house in San Diego because they have two cats :thumbsdown:
Keri, owned by- Samson, CGC, Therapy Dog(7/08)

whitepupzoe

• Most Supportive & Friendliest Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 02:54:57 PM »
Yeah they can escape to the upstairs or downstairs, we have the 2 gates with cat doors in them.  The bad thing is that George can still fit thru the one gate at the top of the steps! I don't know how he does it, but he squeezes his ass in thru! So we have to keep that door closed and the cats upstairs when we are home.

I think alot of the problem is that he doesn't see them all the time, so when he does...he's like "whoa...what are you and why won't you play with me?" lol  He doesn't try to hurt them, he just tries to play "boxer style" with them.  :mad:
Kristin ~ Mom to Abby & George

Always In My Heart ~ Angels Zoe & Ariel

Missy/Precious mom

• Most Encouraging Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 03:05:53 PM »
Poor George just doesn't understand why something wouldn't want to play with him.   ::)  Sorry no cats here so no help.
Joyce

boxer pal

• Most Enthusiastic Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 05:46:31 PM »
I wish I could offer a tried and true piece of advise, but with us and cats, it's been trial and error.  We try to make sure the first introductions are peaceful so the dog knows the cat is just another member of the family. However, after that, it's pretty much left up to the cat to put the dog in it's place and us to try to make sure the cats always have plenty of escape routes so they don't get cornered.  So far, Hogan has met Ernie face to face a couple of times and it was fine, just extreme interest on his part.  Once the cat went back down the stairs to the basement, he lost interest (I helped with that by getting him interested in a toy).  I know we'll have peace in the house sooner or later, but outside takes a bit more conditioning.  I just try really hard to make the cats seem 'ho-hum' to the dogs.  Not easy when the cats run, but we are trying.
Sue Q.
Hogan b. 6/1/10 our brindle baby boy
Onyx b.5/1/07 my dark beauty
my heart, my love, my joy. Rudy b. 9/06 d.5/10 
my mahogany girl Romy b.11/03 d.2/10
Abe, our first & best. b.3/97 d.5/08

3BOXERS

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 04:08:28 PM »
Teach the cats not to run from him. There are not half as fun when they don't run.

Christina

• Socialized
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 04:14:52 PM »
I wish I could help, but Star is the same way.  He grew up with the cats and everything.  Daisy and Lucky are not this way, but I have no clue. 

I typically tell him "NO" sternly or "Leave it", sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.  He gives me a look like "what, I just want to play"  ::)

Star likes to box with the cats too, strange thing is I have one that will box back  :laugh4: .  Other 3 are hissing, growling, swatting disasters when he takes off after them.  :wall:
Christina
Little Ann 2/14/96-4/6/10
Boomer 1996- 4/25/14
Lucky 4/24/04-8/27/14

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 04:29:20 PM »
Didn't you have this same problem with Abby? How does she react now to them?  I thought you used your gates to keep the cats from being able to get away but stop the dog.
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&