Author Topic: Vets vs Breeders  (Read 3310 times)

winterbabies

• Vet Checked
Vets vs Breeders
« on: August 07, 2010, 07:14:04 PM »
I saw this on the SBL so some of you might have read this. But I thought it was a very interesting read. It's funny, when I took Ember in to have her checked out I felt myself feeling like I had to defend her breeder to the vet. And then she went on to inform me my dog had an underbite  ::)

http://endangeredowner.blogspot.com/2009/01/relationships-vets-and-breeders.html
Karen
Mom to Maggie gone but not forgotten
May 98-Jan 10
Ember - Dec 09
Brodie, a Westie -Dec 04

blynn03

• Most Helpful Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Vets vs Breeders
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 09:22:10 AM »
Yikes...that's scary.  And it makes me feel lucky to have my vet!
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 10:54:59 AM »
Yikes...that's scary.  And it makes me feel lucky to have my vet!

ditto
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 04:34:56 PM »
It makes me appreciate my vet .
I went through 3 vets when I first moved to Md before I found my current one. It is worth the hour drive to get there .
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 04:49:22 PM »
I only wish that vets (these young ones they are referring to) would be more apt to educate responsible breeding practices, rather than shunning any breeder they come across right off the bat. I've seen both sides....one vet who asked me if I was going to breed Grady and that  he'd have a home for some of the pups if we did. Then I had another vet who straight up said that I need to get Grady fixed before we have puppies. But, if I were a breeder, I would kinda want a vet who gets a lil worked up over breeding. We all know the amount of BYB's out there and perhaps with a lil more education from our vets, we might do a better service to not only our breed....but to dogs in general. I can appreciate a vet who is taken aback a bit from someone who says they breed.....but I'd appreciate them more if they asked questions and got the feeling that things were being done right and not just willy-nilly out in the "backyard."
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

BranwenBoxers

• Canine Good Citizen
  • " Branwen's Eastern Sea " Millie
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 06:47:25 PM »
Well that was a good read and scary all at the same time   :o

I have had a hard time with a vet who told me that Rippley had an underbite lol  I told her that she needs to read up on the standard  :smash:   

I have also had them look at me funny when I tell them that I health test my dogs before I breed them .  THey all ways ask me " Is there something wrong with your dogs ? "     

It makes me wonder what they are teaching them in vet school  ???  Thank goodness there are some good vets that I take my girls to .     

Heather
Branwen Boxers
www.BranwenBoxers.com

Samsons Mom

• Most Improved Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Sir-samps-a-lot :)
    • Samson's Therapy Dog Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 07:36:05 PM »
Interesting read, scary at the same time. I have yet to find a vet I really like. The one I currently go to is right down the street, so its more for the convenience. Shes ok, but very pushy.

I once went to a vet who totally insulted the breed. Talked about how poorly designed they were because they box with their front legs exposing the chest......and she owned a Boxer :P
Keri, owned by- Samson, CGC, Therapy Dog(7/08)

BurningRiver

• Socialized
  • Copper Hill's Crown Jewel, TT
    • Burning River Boxers
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 10:05:49 PM »
You know what the scariest thing is to me? The vets who say that they pass judgment based on health testing.

I hope most here know that I fully support health testing and conduct health testing on my dogs, but what really, really bothers me is that they're using it as a sort of a "badge" or a "measuring stick" by which to judge breeders. THIS IS WRONG.

I'd like to know what, exactly, gives our veterinary community the right to pass this judgment? Frankly, it is NONE of my vet's business what health tests I've done on my breeding animals, period. It is my vet's job to provide health care for my animals at my request, NOT to give me their opinions about my breeding program, especially when they haven't a clue about most of the breed specific issues that we consider (and not just from a health perspective!!) each time we plan a breeding.

And lest you think we're being overly sensitive, an excellent point was raised further down in the comments. An individual pointed out that the average C-section is $3,500, while the average Ovariohysterectomy (Spay) is $250. This is a *problem*.

I'm completely disturbed by what is going on in the veterinary community but I am thankful that both of my vets (Dr. Hutchison is one, who is a repro vet) and the other is a show breeder herself (Frenchies). With this said, I know that most aren't so lucky.

I think that pet owners really need to realize that this is happening and speak with their veterinarian(s) about this very issue. . . And be prepared to take their business elsewhere should they receive an answer similar to the issues outlined in this article.

It's getting harder and harder to breed a well bred litter--we're literally getting it from every angle--from legislation, to neighbor problems, to issues with our local counties (many now charge higher licensing fees for those with unaltered animals) and now to the veterinary community. Now more than ever before, it is becoming financially impossible to breed a quality litter. AKC registration numbers get lower and lower and lower every single year. Our purebred dogs are literally becoming extinct right before our very eyes.
Jessica, Mia and Carter
Burning River Boxers
http://www.burningriverboxers.com

In Heaven: Nedra, CGC 12/24/00-1/29/11

winterbabies

• Vet Checked
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 10:53:46 PM »
You know what the scariest thing is to me? The vets who say that they pass judgment based on health testing.

I hope most here know that I fully support health testing and conduct health testing on my dogs, but what really, really bothers me is that they're using it as a sort of a "badge" or a "measuring stick" by which to judge breeders. THIS IS WRONG.

I'd like to know what, exactly, gives our veterinary community the right to pass this judgment? Frankly, it is NONE of my vet's business what health tests I've done on my breeding animals, period. It is my vet's job to provide health care for my animals at my request, NOT to give me their opinions about my breeding program, especially when they haven't a clue about most of the breed specific issues that we consider (and not just from a health perspective!!) each time we plan a breeding.

And lest you think we're being overly sensitive, an excellent point was raised further down in the comments. An individual pointed out that the average C-section is $3,500, while the average Ovariohysterectomy (Spay) is $250. This is a *problem*.

I'm completely disturbed by what is going on in the veterinary community but I am thankful that both of my vets (Dr. Hutchison is one, who is a repro vet) and the other is a show breeder herself (Frenchies). With this said, I know that most aren't so lucky.

I think that pet owners really need to realize that this is happening and speak with their veterinarian(s) about this very issue. . . And be prepared to take their business elsewhere should they receive an answer similar to the issues outlined in this article.

It's getting harder and harder to breed a well bred litter--we're literally getting it from every angle--from legislation, to neighbor problems, to issues with our local counties (many now charge higher licensing fees for those with unaltered animals) and now to the veterinary community. Now more than ever before, it is becoming financially impossible to breed a quality litter. AKC registration numbers get lower and lower and lower every single year. Our purebred dogs are literally becoming extinct right before our very eyes.

Very well said. I have often thought if I had the time and money to do breeding right, would I do it? And sadly the answer would be no..and it is because of how political and controversial it has all become, I just wouldn't have the stomach for it.

Karen
Mom to Maggie gone but not forgotten
May 98-Jan 10
Ember - Dec 09
Brodie, a Westie -Dec 04