Author Topic: potty problems  (Read 1385 times)

luvmyboxers2

• Potty Trained
potty problems
« on: May 05, 2007, 09:39:26 PM »
We take Jasmine out alot right after she plays, wakes up and 10 min after she eats or if she is sniffing like she needs to go, but we are having trouble with her going potty outside. When we take her out she will pee 2 times and poop sometimes, but the past few days when we take her out we have her out there for awhile 15-20 min and she does nothing  then as soon as we bring her in she runs into the living room and pees twice  on the rug..We tell her no then take her outside to show her that is where she is suppose to go. Does anyone have any helpful tips to try and curve her of this? I can understand her having accidents  but not as many as she is having for how often she is out. I also have another question for you gals/guys. Can drinking alot of water cause a puppy to have very loose bowels movemts almost diarehha(sp) On days she doesn't drink alot her stools are solid but on days it seems like she drinks more she seems to have to go more frequently(poop) and it is almost pure liquid. I don't remember wosco or meesha having these problems so any tips and or advice would be greatly appreciated
Kerri: owned and adored by rosco (fawn male)9/7/2004 and Meesha (brindle female) 6/1/2005 and Boxer/shep mix Jasmine 9 weeks old

Bers

• Most Underrated Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
Re: potty problems
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 12:35:28 AM »
It sounds like she's just gotten confused in her training. I suggest taking her out on leash, give her 5-10 minutes to "produce". If she does - great, give lots of praise and treats. If she doesn't, then bring her back in and immediately crate her. leave her there for 30 minutes or so, then go back outside to try again. This way, you elminate all those accidents, which only perpetuate the problem. It may seem like a PITA, but it will pay off quickly if you are consistent.

I've never noticed water consumption to be related to consistency or frequency of bowel movements. Could there be something wrong with the water?
Amber

luvmyboxers2

• Potty Trained
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 09:44:08 AM »
She does go out on the leash because we have teenagers that fly down this street and i don't want her running out and getting hit, but i will try putting her in the crate if she doesn't go when i take her out but wouldn't that be considered using the crate as punishment? And i give them bottled water so i would hope there is nothing wrong with the water Jim thinks she may just be adjusting to the food (canidae) since that is not what the previous owners were feeding her. I forgot how much work puppies are  :mad:
Kerri: owned and adored by rosco (fawn male)9/7/2004 and Meesha (brindle female) 6/1/2005 and Boxer/shep mix Jasmine 9 weeks old

Bers

• Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 09:54:49 AM »
Nope, that's not using the crate for punishment, that's using it as a housetraining device. Give her a chewie and a blankie and tell her she's a good girl for going in, and when you go to get her out let her know that it's time to go POTTY! :partybanana: Make it fun!

I'd guess Jim is right about the food - it can be a difficult transition between foods, especially from a crappy food to a good food, and especially for puppies.
Amber

luvmyboxers2

• Potty Trained
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 11:27:26 AM »
ok i will give the crate a try even though she hates the crate with a passion(when the door is closed). she will go in and sleep in it as long as it stays open.She accidently closed the door on herself this morning and went crazy lol oh well she will learn.

Bers

• Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 01:02:04 PM »
Oh, I was working on the assumption that you had already crate trained her. In that case, you ought to take a few days and get her used to her crate. Play games, hide treats in there, practice shutting and opening the door quickly, and then leaving the door closed for longer times gradually. It will be more effective if she's fairly comfortable in the crate.
Amber

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 01:44:37 PM »
I agree with getting Jasmine acclimated with her crate.  One thing I did when training to go outside was to bell train Everytime I took Phoebe out I would touch her nose or paw to the bells and say potty.  She rings now and started after 1 week.  I think it helped too having other pups to go outside with because she learned very easily.
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

luvmyboxers2

• Potty Trained
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2007, 03:17:22 PM »
after reading your post earlier bers i put jasmine in the crate she laid down with the door open so i closed it as soon as i closed it she got up and started to jump at the crate door and cry i went into the kitchen and left her in there by herself so she could not see anyone she stopped for after about 5 min so i let her stay in there about 5 more with no crying then went and let her out and told her what a good girl she was. As for pottying today she had 1 accident and that was of course while my mother was watching her when we took the kids to the park other than that she was out most of the day playing with the kids(yes pics to come soon) so had no choice but to do her business outside

Bers

• Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 07:29:57 PM »
Great, sounds like a successful day overall! :thumbsup:
Amber